Students

The York University Thread

Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2269 posts
100 upvotes
dankup wrote:
Feb 20th, 2016 11:08 am
Just go make an academic advising appointment, what do we know?
umop wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 9:36 am
So I failed a required course twice. It is the last class I need to graduate. I have booked an advising appointment but want to know what to expect. What are my options now? Do I even have options? Am I barred from ever graduating?
Nov 28, 2013
8 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi,

My computer broke down, and I lost access to York's blackboard. Can you tell me the web address for it?

Thank you
Jul 30, 2013
78 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
umop wrote:
Feb 19th, 2016 9:36 am
So I failed a required course twice. It is the last class I need to graduate. I have booked an advising appointment but want to know what to expect. What are my options now? Do I even have options? Am I barred from ever graduating?
You aren't "barred" from EVER graduating but you'll need to retake that course and pass it. You'll also need a cGPA of 5.0 (for an honours degree) and a 4.0 for a general bachelor's. You won't be graduating in June though.
Jan 23, 2015
7 posts
Toronto
Hello there
I'm an IT major student for some misgudided information they gave me before applying to my major i didnt do very well on my grades so they wont allow me to transfer because of bad GPA to another major. Someone told me i could get petition to most of my courses ? ( since i'm first year )
Has anyone ever done that ? Or is it possible ? They gave me appointment two weeks from now and i need to fillout the form asap. And also will that affect my osap profile ?
Mar 21, 2016
14 posts
1 upvote
Radimor527 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 8:47 pm
Hello there
I'm an IT major student for some misgudided information they gave me before applying to my major i didnt do very well on my grades so they wont allow me to transfer because of bad GPA to another major. Someone told me i could get petition to most of my courses ? ( since i'm first year )
Has anyone ever done that ? Or is it possible ? They gave me appointment two weeks from now and i need to fillout the form asap. And also will that affect my osap profile ?
I know that York has or had (because this was around five or six years ago when I heard about it) something called "first year forgiveness" where if you fail they attribute it to being a first year and allow you to retake courses or take courses in another discipline. I believe they also remove it off of your record (but I'm not confident on that). I'm not sure how you would get it but about 5 people got it that I know of during their first year. So you could possibly ask during your advising session if they still have that around.

I don't think OSAP takes grades into consideration. They are mostly concerned with enrollment and financial status.
Feb 26, 2016
7 posts
Hi guys! I am planning to take up the course software engineering at York University and I just wanna know if they really start from the basics of programming or something, is it a newbie friendly course like for someone who has a very limited knowledge about programming? I hope someone can share their experiences or tell what they know about this. Thanks!
Jul 30, 2013
78 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Radimor527 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 8:47 pm
Hello there
Yes, you can petition the courses to be removed from your transcript, then you can switch your major. You need to get everything done as soon as possible - and have a valid reason for the petition. Remember - the petitions committee decides whether they accept your reasoning or not. This isn't a sure thing. It should not affect your OSAP. But, remember - if the petition goes through, you lose the credits and the grades.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2007
2269 posts
100 upvotes
Anyone else dealing with horrible profs? I am beyond fed up with one of mine.

-doesn't reply to emails
-has mistakes in his slides and if you find one and tell him, he won't change the slides or make an announcement to the class
-comes 45mins late to office hours (only has 1 hour a week)
-it's a math class, some concepts have various cases, his practice problems only deal with one case (often the easiest one) then on the test he only gives questions dealing with the other cases, the cases he didn't give you any practice problems on
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1746 posts
235 upvotes
GTA
umop wrote:
Jun 6th, 2016 3:44 am
Anyone else dealing with horrible profs? I am beyond fed up with one of mine.

-doesn't reply to emails
-has mistakes in his slides and if you find one and tell him, he won't change the slides or make an announcement to the class
-comes 45mins late to office hours (only has 1 hour a week)
-it's a math class, some concepts have various cases, his practice problems only deal with one case (often the easiest one) then on the test he only gives questions dealing with the other cases, the cases he didn't give you any practice problems on
Complain to the head of the department?
Jan 24, 2010
54 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DinahRaice wrote:
Apr 20th, 2016 4:08 am
I don't think OSAP takes grades into consideration. They are mostly concerned with enrollment and financial status.
OSAP does indeed care about grades. One semester with a GPA too low and it's "academic probation", which is just a warning. Another semester directly after that without bringing the GPA up to an acceptable level and it's "academic suspension". 2 years of no OSAP. You'll also be disqualified from the OSOG (the grant issued to you at the end of your academic year to reduce your debt repayable for that year to ~$7,400).
Oct 6, 2013
78 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys! So i'm going into the third year in my accounting degree and was wondering which elective courses should I take? My goal is CPA

Thanks!
May 28, 2015
16 posts
Milton, ON
Hey, I was accepted to the "Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, B.A.S., Spec. Hons. Information Technology (Information Technology Auditing and Assurance) " program I was wondering what courses I should take. Also I want to switch my major to computer science so should i take courses geared towards that or switch first? I'll be calling york as well but would appreciate any guidance on what courses to take etc...
May 31, 2010
402 posts
19 upvotes
matt0401 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2016 2:53 am
DinahRaice wrote:
Apr 20th, 2016 4:08 am
OSAP does indeed care about grades. One semester with a GPA too low and it's "academic probation", which is just a warning. Another semester directly after that without bringing the GPA up to an acceptable level and it's "academic suspension". 2 years of no OSAP. You'll also be disqualified from the OSOG (the grant issued to you at the end of your academic year to reduce your debt repayable for that year to ~$7,400).
I don't think that is accurate. Remember that your University can suspend you if you have really poor grades, so OSAP stays away from judging students on GPA specifically. There is really two ways that you can get on academic probation for OSAP...failing courses and dropping courses. Each student has to maintain 60% full course load each semester (usually 3 courses). If you were to let's say take 80% course load, but drop one course and fail one course, you'd get a warning from OSAP because you only passed 40% of your courses in their view. The fact that they consider dropping courses akin to failing is something most people don't seem to understand.
× < >