Tags:
None
Jan 26, 2016
28 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan

York vs Ryerson in Computer science

Hello.

I applied both york and ryerson for computer science.
I know york now has lassonde which seems focusing on engineering and computer science a lot.

I am still debating between the two.
Please do not tell me "go uoft", "go uw", "go some private computer coding school" etc..

It must be either York or Ryerson.
Please give me as much advice as you can.

Thank you.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does York or Ryerson have a co-op option? If not, then go to whatever school that is closer to you. As long as you have a good GPA in either school and have marketable relevant projects, certifications, etc, then you'll be fine
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1755 posts
258 upvotes
Ontario
^ York has a 16 month internship component while Ryerson has co-op (5 work terms).
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
~SauFung wrote: ^ York has a 16 month internship component while Ryerson has co-op (5 work terms).
Work terms are better - with an Internship you can get really screwed if you get placed in a company/job you dislike. Also, 16 months is a LONG time away from school.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
coolspot wrote: Work terms are better - with an Internship you can get really screwed if you get placed in a company/job you dislike. Also, 16 months is a LONG time away from school.
Are you kidding me? I'd take 16 month of work experience any day as an undergrad! That would look so much better on a resume. Have you not seen job postings that require x many months of work experience or x years?
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
imflying12 wrote: Are you kidding me? I'd take 16 month of work experience any day as an undergrad! That would look so much better on a resume. Have you not seen job postings that require x many months of work experience or x years?
well, 5 work-terms (4 months each) would be 20 months total.
Dec 27, 2007
344 posts
165 upvotes
This may not help as you've already applied but anyways...

YorkU also hosts one of Seneca College's campuses, which offers a Bachelors of Technology (Software Development). If you're looking at becoming a programmer or systems analyst, the content in Seneca's program will definitely translate better into employable hard skills. I've had nothing but good experiences with graduates of Seneca's BSD program.

Though to answer your question, between YorkU and Ryerson I would choose UofT.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
mathiewannabe wrote: well, 5 work-terms (4 months each) would be 20 months total.
I rather have one employer on my resume for a longer period of time than several in a short period. It may not look the best either.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
imflying12 wrote: Are you kidding me? I'd take 16 month of work experience any day as an undergrad.
1. 16 months is a long time away from school
2. 16 months is a long time to commit to your first and only job
3. Work terms allow you to experience different roles / jobs - you can extend to 8 months with some schools

As for how it all shows up on your resume, there are ways around that with the formatting of the resume.
imflying12 wrote: I rather have one employer on my resume for a longer period of time than several in a short period. It may not look the best either.
There is no hiding the experience was from a PEY or co-op program, so the employers already take that into account. This is your one opportunity to obtain a lot of varied experience with minimal commitment, and hence work terms are better.

Waterloo uses the work term model and these students have mostly zero problems with their resumes.
Jan 30, 2016
539 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I go to Ryerson and I am in Computer Science. In terms of work terms you don't have to do all your work terms in different places, some of my friends went 16 months straight at IBM and others did it at separate places. I for one did not take the coop option and just interned at various large companies (which I prefer not to disclose to remain anon) over the summer's.
Sep 18, 2011
233 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
imflying12 wrote: I rather have one employer on my resume for a longer period of time than several in a short period. It may not look the best either.
I respectfully disagree.

During your undergrad days, it's mostly about networking and expanding your knowledge of the real world, so to speak. I had 4 co-op work terms from UWaterloo and it benefited me tremendously in terms of learning about diverse range of industries, made networks, and landed me a full-time job!
Jan 22, 2012
171 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
johntitor2036 wrote: I go to Ryerson and I am in Computer Science. In terms of work terms you don't have to do all your work terms in different places, some of my friends went 16 months straight at IBM and others did it at separate places. I for one did not take the coop option and just interned at various large companies (which I prefer not to disclose to remain anon) over the summer's.
How hard was it for students who were in the co-op program to find a co-op placement? Were there students who couldn't find, or were unable to secure a co-op placement?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
VintagePhick wrote: How hard was it for students who were in the co-op program to find a co-op placement? Were there students who couldn't find, or were unable to secure a co-op placement?
Competition for co-op and internship placements is high, and it's not uncommon for a student to not be able to get a job offer, either because they don't know what makes an appropriate resume/cover letter (i.e. the stuff that HR and the hiring manager are looking for) or they aren't prepared for interviews. To be unqualified for co-op placements due to a lack of experience is not as common, as companies know that they're hiring people who may not have ever held a job before. As always, it really matters to the hiring team whether the candidate would be a good fit for the team.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3633 posts
444 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
This article is specific to Chem-Eng co-op. Finding a job in Chem-Eng is hard no matter which university co-op program you enrol in. There just simply isn't the demand to sustain all these students in that field.

CS and CE are a different story. There are always software developer positions so long as you're willing to explore and find these companies that you may have never heard of.
Jan 26, 2016
28 posts
4 upvotes
Vaughan
Thanks everyone!! any other opinions from anyone else??