Yorkdale or Cadillac Fairview Security?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2018 2:45 pm
[OP]
May 14, 2018
4 posts

Yorkdale or Cadillac Fairview Security?

Hey RFD,

I'm a recent police foundations grad and I've been working security for about two years, I'm looking into applying to one of the two listed in the title.
Does anyone work or has worked at security at YD or CF (in the toronto area). What's the culture like, pay, benefits, and what not. Hoping to work at one of these malls in the future and for a while, I might goto the army after or back to school.

Thanks!
12 replies
Feb 8, 2006
879 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
They are union positions. Google up their collective agreement to find details on pay, benefits, pension, etc.
buffylover wrote:
Apr 6th, 2007 5:44 pm
im pretty sure thincrust hates you
[OP]
May 14, 2018
4 posts
Exas wrote:
May 15th, 2018 7:00 pm
They are union positions. Google up their collective agreement to find details on pay, benefits, pension, etc.
Man I wish I could, but I'm looking for opinions/advice from former/current employees as much as I'd like to understand the union agreement the people on the floor would help me better.
Thank you.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38896 posts
3351 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
The pay, training, and environment is very good for the security world.
They are always well staffed. They patrol in pairs, with plenty of backup if needed.
pay is above industry standard, so is pay. This is inhouse security. They pay more.
Feb 16, 2013
787 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 16th, 2018 7:12 pm
They are always well staffed. They patrol in pairs, with plenty of backup if needed.
pay is above industry standard, so is pay. This is inhouse security. They pay more.
How much more. When I used to do security they paid about a buck over minimum wage on average.
Has the industry improved at all?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38896 posts
3351 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
cowbunpants wrote:
May 16th, 2018 7:16 pm
How much more. When I used to do security they paid about a buck over minimum wage on average.
Has the industry improved at all?
In-house is different. Your experience is that of contracted securty. But yes... Back when I was interested in 2007 , minimum wage was I believe $10/hour. In-house like Eaton Center, stc, Yorkdale were paying $16/hr... all te security guys would try their shot @ the malls with in-house b/c of the higher pay and benefits.

REAson for the higher pay is that when companies contract out, they contract out the liability and pay that company $20/hr, while they pay the actual guards $10/hr.
But the in-house guys get their own licensing and insurance. So they can directly pay higher wages. This is so they can attact more professional people.
[OP]
May 14, 2018
4 posts
UrbanPoet wrote:
May 16th, 2018 7:12 pm
Where did you work Cadillac Fairview or Yorkdale?
I heard good things about in house so that's why I'm looking into doing it for a few years, then move to the army or something.
That or go into investigations then army.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28574 posts
3918 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Definitely take Yorkdale, it is run by Oxford Properties. Same people that run Scarborough Town Centre
Jul 23, 2010
387 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a exciting gig lol. Anyways wanted try mall cop especially after watching a few movies. Did security as a student for a week turned out super boring.
[OP]
May 14, 2018
4 posts
Tactical wrote:
May 17th, 2018 8:31 am
Sounds like a exciting gig lol. Anyways wanted try mall cop especially after watching a few movies. Did security as a student for a week turned out super boring.
It can be, always wish I started in a mall. My friend did and she loves it.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2026 posts
528 upvotes
I worked for CF at an in-house site for almost 5 years and my recommendation is definitely go with Yorkdale or Scarborough Town Center.

That's my short answer, if u want more info PM me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)