• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2017 7:22 am
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough

YorkU - Upgrading degree to honours after graduating

I'm currently enrolled in the honours program, assuming I don't completely f*** up and get all my credits, I can graduate with 90 credits (regular Bachelors).

I still want/need to take 4 courses in computer science, which isn't my major, next school year to fulfill a need for a professional development class.

Here's what I would like to do ideally, graduate this year (2017 - winter semester), "come back" next year (2017 - fall semester) to complete 4 computer science classes, then in the future comeback again to complete my honours degree. Is that doable?

I'm burnt out, and I am becoming less productive so I think I need a year off or so to have fun and then finish up strong.
7 replies
Jan 8, 2009
617 posts
267 upvotes
GTA
Why wouldn't you ask your academic counsellor at York? I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer your question but do you really want to take their word for it? Why not ask the school. Not only will they tell you whether that's possible or not, but if it's not, they'll likely work with you to figure out what /is/ possible or how to make it possible.
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Apart from few cases, York has provided me almost no support when I called or went to speak to counselors. In fact they have consistently given me incorrect or poor options that I learn about the hard way. I have never had such poor help from an institution that is publicly funded.

I still intend to go and ask to see if the information they provide is in line with the information I gather here, this way I can be confident or dig deeper if I am not. We have just been on Reading Week so I haven't been at school.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
35963 posts
2073 upvotes
Toronto
You can upgrade from 90credit bachelor to honors no problem. Just some paper work & switching. You gotta a get a hold of a counsellor.

I bumped into it on the website, but double check!
I met many people at york who did the opposite.
They were enrolled in 4 years honors. But into 3rd yest some said eff it and left with a 3 year bachelor.
Some were going into their 4th year with a bunch of gaps. So they called it quits and settled for bachelor.
Some actually did pretty well... he got a real estate license and had a good network of his bangladeshian bro's. Another teaches rock climbing? Unrelated but that seems like life these days...

Why not the other way around?
Mar 18, 2015
790 posts
151 upvotes
Antarctica
^ what happens when you don't have a bunch of bro-contacts and don't like rock climbing/have zero aptitude?
[OP]
Mar 14, 2011
153 posts
14 upvotes
Scarborough
Lmao!! But I am enrolled in a 4 year degree, but I'm in the con-ed program so I'm doing an extra year for my bachelor's of education. I'm just burnt out from school and I need a semester off aside from summer. I'm losing my focus and desire to go to class and such. I still need courses to better my chances of finding a job tho.
Apr 13, 2010
104 posts
25 upvotes
I'm going to be real honest and seriously ask if the chances of honours versus a 90 degree 3 year program are that much different in finding a job in the market. I only say that because at one point, I was also in the exact same position. I was in the ADMS program at York with C and D+ grades in the first year. Eventually I pulled my weight by second year to set my sights and finish a four year program, but that's because I set my sights on something bigger things than getting an honours degree to work - grad school 3-4 years from the time I graduate, which required me to get a four year honours.

Otherwise, I don't think you can actually graduate and come back to do honours. But I think academic counsel at York should grant a leave for one year to come back. I think that's the main issue here, no?
Jul 30, 2013
222 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
stephan001 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 11:50 pm
Lmao!! But I am enrolled in a 4 year degree, but I'm in the con-ed program so I'm doing an extra year for my bachelor's of education. I'm just burnt out from school and I need a semester off aside from summer. I'm losing my focus and desire to go to class and such. I still need courses to better my chances of finding a job tho.
You should request a year off from the dean's office. An education degree is now 24 months instead of 12. If you're lucky enough and want to be an educator to still have 12 vs 24 months, I'd stay.

As for going back to get your honours degree - are you looking to go to grad school? There's really no point in getting your honours degree unless you want to. There were two reasons I went the honours stream during my bachelor's. One, my programme actually didn't offer a normal BA. Second, I wanted the option of going to graduate/professional school, should I choose to do so later.