Food & Drink

Yoshinoya coming to Toronto's Eaton Centre?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2012 4:25 pm
Tags:
None
May 20, 2009
478 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ippon wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 1:50 pm
cheap by japa standards or our standards?
man, i don't know how people live in that country. everything is so expensive... but tasty..... which is a bad bad combination..........

I'm pretty sure it was about 300 Yen, which at the time was roughly $3 CAD.

I didn't find Japan overly expensive but I traveled around with friends who taught English over there. They knew the cheap places to eat and drink.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3451 posts
277 upvotes
ippon wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 1:50 pm
everything is so expensive... but tasty.....
Eating out in Japan costs about the same as in Toronto. The difference might be ~$1-2 depending on the current rate of exchange.
sarnya wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 2:05 pm

When I went in 2009, Yoshinoya had stir-fry beef and rice or tempura shrimp and rice for 300 to 450 yen.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3485 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully the Yoshinoya Toronto will taste more like the Japan version as opposed to the one in New York City. When I was in New York 2 years ago, Yoshinoya did not taste the same at all, very bland.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
GemInite wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 3:39 pm
Hopefully the Yoshinoya Toronto will taste more like the Japan version as opposed to the one in New York City. When I was in New York 2 years ago, Yoshinoya did not taste the same at all, very bland.

I had the same experience in NYC. Anyways now creepy RFDers can hang out close to Yoshinoya to try to meet the japanese students who will inevitably go there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
sarnya wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 2:05 pm

I didn't find Japan overly expensive but I traveled around with friends who taught English over there. They knew the cheap places to eat and drink.
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 2:46 pm
Eating out in Japan costs about the same as in Toronto. The difference might be ~$1-2 depending on the current rate of exchange.

When I went in 2009, Yoshinoya had stir-fry beef and rice or tempura shrimp and rice for 300 to 450 yen.

i guess it was 4 years ago when i went to tokyo and i felt my wallet thinning out by the second... but it might have been the areas i was visiting. and the local friend took us out to nicer places and wow,,, i couldn't believe the bill after.
perhaps i was comparing japan to korea too much in the back of my head, as i just spent a month in korea before going to japan, and korea isn't exactly cheap either! taxi rate in tokyo is redonculous!!!
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
I found for the cheaper places in Japan, prices are about the same as Toronto (Might be a bit more or a bit less). For example I ate a lot of ramen there this year and prices usually are 8000-1200 a bowl, so an average of $12. More than what you would expect to spend here but not a lot more (but a lot better quality).

Once you move up to the next level of restaurants with actual servers, then I find the price in Japan goes way up to maybe $35,40+ per person, whereas in Toronto the next step up would be around $20-25/person meals. You can't really compare those because the quality is much higher in Japan...I think basically I found Japan didn't have as much emphasis on those $20-25 meals compared to Toronto. I think it has more to do with how much emphasis those Japanese businesses put on quality rather than how Toronto has a larger focus on making things affordable and staying competitive as a business.

This is all based on my very scientific guessing and reasoning without much evidence.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2704 posts
139 upvotes
Mississauga
I haven't tried this so called Yoshinoya restaurant yet, but I'd rather have Go Go Curry here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9721 posts
427 upvotes
input wrote:
Mar 15th, 2012 6:06 pm
I haven't tried this so called Yoshinoya restaurant yet, but I'd rather have Go Go Curry here.

That would be cool but I find making japanese curry from those package at the asian supermarket are pretty much exactly the same as what you get in those restaurants. Very easy to make too, except for the fried stuff which I hate doing at home. Usually just pan fry some pork chops or cook meat like stew before adding the curry into it. Also requires you to have large amounts of beni shoga and schichimi togarashi at home, which I end up eating with everything.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
6058 posts
1214 upvotes
They boarded up the Urban Eatery Jugo Juice last week - but it re-opened a few days later.

Seems redundant to have two locations located so close to each other....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
That would be interesting, I've had this stuff in Hong Kong before, it's not bad.

I don't know if it's just me but Japanese companies seem reluctant to expand to Canada. they will test the US market, but not here.
:lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
8973 posts
552 upvotes
I am soon bording my plane back to Toronto, but while i was in LA. I must have drove by 3-4 Yoshinoyas. Unfortunately never got the chance to eat there.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
3964 posts
584 upvotes
I loved Yoshinoda when I was in Japan. It's like the "real" fast food in Japan. It's about 300 yen in japan for a basic bowl so that's around $3. It's not the best tasting thing in the world but it's exactly what I want as a fast food. It's not overly unhealthy like most fast food in the west. And 300 yen is really cheap. Unfortunately I suspect it's going to be much more expensive in the Canadian counterpart.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2008
2849 posts
254 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Haven't been to the Eaton Centre for a while now, so I don't know if there has been any progress in the construction/remodelling of the Urban Eatery.
× < >