None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15922 posts
1300 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…

Good lord. I shouldn't have Googled.

I need to do this though. I have periodontal disease or gingivitis. Every time I use my oral pick I have bleeding so it's a clear sign my gums are not in good health.

When they give you LA, are they little shots around the mouth? I can imagine after scaling, it's going to be hurting for a while. The site said a good numbing paste is recommend to manage the discomfort. I guess it's like that stuff they sell in drug stores, nova cane.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8808 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 7:42 am
So scaling is cleaning? I think the last time I had a cleaning done was over 10 years ago or longer. I remember they would just use some kind of burring tool and basically sand off the layer off the tooth. Don't recall ever being given any gas for that. What does frozen mean? Mouth frozen? Man, I don't even want to know how painful those shots must be. This last visit scared the crap out of me. It felt like the needle went too far into my skull and the hot sensation shot up the side of my face which I have never felt before in my lifetime of dental visits. Face/mouth was numb and my vision on one side was blurred for an hour.
Yes, scaling is dental cleaning. Most cleanings require no anaesthesia. They may use either topical anaesthesia, which is painless rub in of topical anaesthetic. This generally numbs sensitive gums. If your teeth are too sensitive you may choose to get a needle from the dentist first.

Cleaning is generally done with hand tools (scalers) and electrical tools. There should not be hot sensations during cleaning. Either way I'd say you are way overdue for a cleaning. I'd recommend getting one asap.
Jan 23, 2016
752 posts
125 upvotes
North York, ON
My dad would fall asleep, full on snoring in the dentists chair. I also have no fear of the dentist and as of late have also started falling asleep. It helps to remember these are professionals who arent out to hurt you. Though it runs in my family to not be scared of the dentist. I assume it has to do with how sensitive peoples teeth and mouths are. I had braces and describe the entire experiance as "a minor incoveniance." Ive only ever had one cavity and getting that filled whats a bit of pain but i was fine within 2 hours of getting it done
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1040 posts
2440 upvotes
Toronto
I'm afraid of the cost more than the work done.
May 28, 2012
9769 posts
1988 upvotes
Saskatoon
cardle wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 6:26 am
I'm actually surprised I clicked on this thread and read some of it. I don't normally even like reading about dentists, but I am going in 2 weeks and am dreading it, even considering getting put to sleep.
If you don't regularly floss, start doing this now so your gums get toughened up for appointment. Good luck...it's not that bad if you have a good dentist and hygienist.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
15548 posts
1196 upvotes
Thornhill
If I saw a dentist walking on the street, no, I would no cross the road or run the other way.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jul 8, 2009
604 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
Not afraid, but I think a lot of them are scammers.

Used to go to a dentist who would always find something to do; always a couple of cavities. Ended up with I think 10-12 fillings. I got fed up because during the last appointment she was rough with her tools. She told me I had two cavities to be filled.

I stopped going. Never had those supposed cavities treated.

Seven years later I went to a new dentist who found no sign of the cavities the previous one had told me about. He did find two new ones, in a different location

I didn't go back. Never got those treated. It's been 2.5 years.

ETA:
Might as well name my original dentist: Grazyna Wojnarowicz. Note that my last experience with her was 10 years ago; I don't know if she changed her methods in that time.
My new dentist is much nicer, though I still don't 100% trust him. I might want to go back eventually, so I won't name him.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
Mercury048 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 3:11 pm

Used to go to a dentist who would always find something to do; always a couple of cavities. Ended up with I think 10-12 fillings. I got fed up because during the last appointment she was rough with her tools. She told me I had two cavities to be filled.

Seven years later I went to a new dentist who found no sign of the cavities the previous one had told me about. He did find two new ones, in a different location

ETA:
Might as well name my original dentist: Grazyna Wojnarowicz. Note that my last experience with her was 10 years ago; I don't know if she changed her methods in that time.
My new dentist is much nicer, though I still don't 100% trust him. I might want to go back eventually, so I won't name him.
My thoughts exactly. I'm always anxious about my dentist not giving me a fair assessment. Do I even need to get my teeth cleaned every six months if I take care of it well? I just need a check-up every 6 months, that's all.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1148 posts
299 upvotes
Traditional dentistry yes, biological/holistic dentistry no. Just like the medical system, the mainstream bs they do is all wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8808 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Mercury048 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 3:11 pm

ETA:
As with any medical or other professionals due diligence helps out. I would recommend for the patient to request x-rays of said cavities. Also ask dentist to point out cavities in x-rays and inside the mouth for you. If you are still unsure seek a second or even third opinion. No good dentist should be offended by this and should assist you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15922 posts
1300 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
Andro wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 6:17 pm
As with any medical or other professionals due diligence helps out. I would recommend for the patient to request x-rays of said cavities. Also ask dentist to point out cavities in x-rays and inside the mouth for you. If you are still unsure seek a second or even third opinion. No good dentist should be offended by this and should assist you.
Are the x-rays yours if you request it?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Don't be afraid of the dentist. Be afraid of the irreparable damage they can do to your health and your social life. And the "regulatory" body (run by dentists) that both "investigates" and covers up for their malpractice. If you ask around you'll find lots of victims of dental incompetence and their corrupt system.

Best bet is to regularly and thoroughly brush your teeth and steer well clear of dentists. Not out of fear. Just out of common sense. If they can't touch you, they can't harm you. Once the damage is done, you'll have no choice but to go to yet more dentists, hoping to limit the damage already done. And that will get expensive fast. Even false teeth are expensive. Keep the ones God gave you for life. Don't let a dentist (or their assistant) touch them, unless you absolutely have to. Like dodgy mechanics, they'll never let you get away.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8808 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 6:22 pm
Are the x-rays yours if you request it?
Technically they are a property of the dentist. However, upon your request dentist or another dental office staff has to show and/or provide them to you. A good dentist/hygienist will generally discuss and/or show them every time they are taken, even if you did not request to see them. If the x-rays are digital it should be no problem and cost to forward them to your email or to another medical professional. There should not be any additional cost for that, but some dentist may ask for it. Film x-rays may have some additional cost affiliated with their copying, as they are keeping the original for their records. The cost would not be much thought, I'd say maybe $10 per x-ray.

Either way request for them to be transferred or provided/emailed to you if you are going to see another dentist. No reason to take new ones, unless another issue pops up or they need another angle or something. X-rays, particularly bite wings (4 X-rays, 2 on each side, check for cavity X-rays) are generally recommended by dentists every 1-2 years. It is your choice to accept or deny them. Some dentists like to over prescribe X-rays due to insurance coverage. The frequency of X-rays may vary according to your oral condition.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8808 posts
2126 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 6:32 pm
Don't be afraid of the dentist. Be afraid of the irreparable damage they can do to your health and your social life. And the "regulatory" body (run by dentists) that both "investigates" and covers up for their malpractice. If you ask around you'll find lots of victims of dental incompetence and their corrupt system.

Best bet is to regularly and thoroughly brush your teeth and steer well clear of dentists. Not out of fear. Just out of common sense. If they can't touch you, they can't harm you. Once the damage is done, you'll have no choice but to go to yet more dentists, hoping to limit the damage already done. And that will get expensive fast. Even false teeth are expensive. Keep the ones God gave you for life. Don't let a dentist (or their assistant) touch them, unless you absolutely have to. Like dodgy mechanics, they'll never let you get away.
I agree with some of your comments. However, I would not recommend to steer clear from dentists/hygienists. They are there to help you maintain your oral health. It is not always based on the treatment basis. Preventative Dentistry is important, this is how you avoid possible bigger issues(i.e. Root canal, crowns, tooth loss, etc). Regular dental cleaning and check up are definitely recommended(dental cleaning every 3-6 months, dentist check up every 1-2 years). Even if you see dental hygienist that is a check up on its own. They can check for issue, such as cavities, oral cancers etc. Of course, stay on top of your oral health and ask questions. If unsure ask more questions or see another dental office. There is a lot of choice there.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6358 posts
191 upvotes
I have had a horrid history with dentists and so yes, I'm not a fan but do go as I realize it's a necessity.

When I was 3 my mom took me to the dentist and they made her stay in the waiting room. I was a very shy kid and didn't take well to being seperated from my mom with some stranger. Anyhow, I was screaming and my mom ran into the room and she saw the dentist with his hand up ready to smack me. She grabbed me and we left. No, she didn't report him as it was a long time ago and people tended to let things like that go.

So then she takes me to the dental college for a check-up and I was even more scared now thanks to the other dentist. I'm crying for my mother and the doctor told me that if I didn't stop crying I would never see my mother again. She heard this and again came and got me. Believe it or not, I still have "minor" memories of these two incidents, even though this happened a VERY long time ago.

Next, they found me a dentist on the Danforth (and Donlands) Dr. Freudman. This guy did a number on both my brother and my teeth. Seemed that we always had a lot of cavities even though we were taking excellent care of our teeth. He would drill our teeth without freezing. We were terrified of going to see this sadist every 6 months but my parents felt he was doing a great job.

So then as I got a bit older, they found another dentist, who was closer. Dr. Abrahms was his name, at the Golden Mile in Scarborough. This crook didn't even have a receptionist. He too always seemed to find an extraordinary number of cavities. He would make you pay in cash and he put the money in his pocket. I was in high school at the time and so I went there on my own so I told my parents what he was doing so we stopped going to him.

Next I went to a really nice doctor in Leaside. He seemed to be a good guy but I can't remember why I stopped going to him as a young adult.

Then I went to this dentist in Pickering. I really liked him and even recommended him to several of my friends and they liked him. So one day my friend goes there to make an appointment, only to be told that he no longer worked there. When she pressed for where he was now working they wouldn't tell her. She was insistent because she really liked him and then finally one of the gals who worked there told her that he had be let go due to serious improprieties but didn't elaborate on what they were.

So then I found another dentist who was okay but we moved so I needed to find another one. This guy was a butcher but his partner was good so within the same practice I switched dentists but then he left.

So then I find another one who seemed to be really good except that his main focus seemed to be encouraging expensive cosmetic dentistry and he didn't seem to care about real issues so I stopped going to him, only to find out from a bunch of people I knew who also went to him that he lost his practice and that he was actually losing his license as he'd been pulling all sorts of funny business.

Since then, I've just been looking for a good dentist and go to my husband's dentist (who I don't care for) until I can find a good one.

I know, it could appear that the common denominator is me, and that perhaps I'm the one with problems but I assure you that all that I wrote is 100% true and in fact, I've even left out a lot of the gory details.

I do understand that not all dentists are crooks or butchers but in my experience, the good ones are few and far between. I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!!!