• Feb 22nd, 2017 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3486 posts
96 upvotes
Halton
I use to be. I use to hate it! Once I became a teen it was okay, now as an adult I have no issues. I had two wisdom teeth removed last summer. She said I need them removed I asked if she can do them herself and have the time to get at it. She was shocked I was willing to have her start that day. She froze my top left side. Took that one out with ease. She was going to have me come back for the bottom until I said if the top went that smooth don't bother freezing the bottom and just remove it.. It came out in 2 minutes. It wasent bad at all.

Anyway my dentist office is ran very well and everyone who works there are amazing.
Enjoy Life
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Mattones wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 8:53 pm
Anyway my dentist office is ran very well and everyone who works there are amazing.
They usually are. Until they mess up. At which point it's too late.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1054 posts
63 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 6:43 pm
I agree with some of your comments. However, I would not recommend to steer clear from dentists/hygienists. They are there to help you maintain your oral health. It is not always based on the treatment basis. Preventative Dentistry is important, this is how you avoid possible bigger issues(i.e. Root canal, crowns, tooth loss, etc). Regular dental cleaning and check up are definitely recommended(dental cleaning every 3-6 months, dentist check up every 1-2 years). Even if you see dental hygienist that is a check up on its own. They can check for issue, such as cavities, oral cancers etc. Of course, stay on top of your oral health and ask questions. If unsure ask more questions or see another dental office. There is a lot of choice there.
dental cleaning frequency depends on various factors. some require every 3 months due to advanced gum disease while other may only need it once 1 year. There are good and bad general dentists out there. If in doubt always seek a 2nd or 3rd opinions.

As for record. information always belongs to the patient. however the physical copy belongs to the dentist. you can always request a copy of your record some might charge a nominal fee for photocopying and duplicating x-rays.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8810 posts
2127 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
koft wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 9:01 pm
dental cleaning frequency depends on various factors. some require every 3 months due to advanced gum disease while other may only need it once 1 year. There are good and bad general dentists out there. If in doubt always seek a 2nd or 3rd opinions.

As for record. information always belongs to the patient. however the physical copy belongs to the dentist. you can always request a copy of your record some might charge a nominal fee for photocopying and duplicating x-rays.
I know. I have stated pretty much all of this on page 2 of the thread. As for dental cleanings to go up to a year that's a bit much imo. But everyone can certainly choose as they please)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15923 posts
1302 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
Good God, if there ever was a story to scare someone straight this is it. Imagine the pain now and amp it up by 100x. You make it sound like they used pliers to pull teeths in your youth.
deltone wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 7:44 pm
I have had a horrid history with dentists and so yes, I'm not a fan but do go as I realize it's a necessity.

When I was 3 my mom took me to the dentist and they made her stay in the waiting room. I was a very shy kid and didn't take well to being seperated from my mom with some stranger. Anyhow, I was screaming and my mom ran into the room and she saw the dentist with his hand up ready to smack me. She grabbed me and we left. No, she didn't report him as it was a long time ago and people tended to let things like that go.

So then she takes me to the dental college for a check-up and I was even more scared now thanks to the other dentist. I'm crying for my mother and the doctor told me that if I didn't stop crying I would never see my mother again. She heard this and again came and got me. Believe it or not, I still have "minor" memories of these two incidents, even though this happened a VERY long time ago.

Next, they found me a dentist on the Danforth (and Donlands) Dr. Freudman. This guy did a number on both my brother and my teeth. Seemed that we always had a lot of cavities even though we were taking excellent care of our teeth. He would drill our teeth without freezing. We were terrified of going to see this sadist every 6 months but my parents felt he was doing a great job.

So then as I got a bit older, they found another dentist, who was closer. Dr. Abrahms was his name, at the Golden Mile in Scarborough. This crook didn't even have a receptionist. He too always seemed to find an extraordinary number of cavities. He would make you pay in cash and he put the money in his pocket. I was in high school at the time and so I went there on my own so I told my parents what he was doing so we stopped going to him.

Next I went to a really nice doctor in Leaside. He seemed to be a good guy but I can't remember why I stopped going to him as a young adult.

Then I went to this dentist in Pickering. I really liked him and even recommended him to several of my friends and they liked him. So one day my friend goes there to make an appointment, only to be told that he no longer worked there. When she pressed for where he was now working they wouldn't tell her. She was insistent because she really liked him and then finally one of the gals who worked there told her that he had be let go due to serious improprieties but didn't elaborate on what they were.

So then I found another dentist who was okay but we moved so I needed to find another one. This guy was a butcher but his partner was good so within the same practice I switched dentists but then he left.

So then I find another one who seemed to be really good except that his main focus seemed to be encouraging expensive cosmetic dentistry and he didn't seem to care about real issues so I stopped going to him, only to find out from a bunch of people I knew who also went to him that he lost his practice and that he was actually losing his license as he'd been pulling all sorts of funny business.

Since then, I've just been looking for a good dentist and go to my husband's dentist (who I don't care for) until I can find a good one.

I know, it could appear that the common denominator is me, and that perhaps I'm the one with problems but I assure you that all that I wrote is 100% true and in fact, I've even left out a lot of the gory details.

I do understand that not all dentists are crooks or butchers but in my experience, the good ones are few and far between. I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
15923 posts
1302 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
toomuchpie wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 9:48 pm
I'm afraid of the bill.
You better brush those pie fillings out of your gaps my friend.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 9:51 pm
Good God, if there ever was a story to scare someone straight this is it. Imagine the pain now and amp it up by 100x. You make it sound like they used pliers to pull teeths in your youth.
I've heard of a more effective method used in the past: tie a string around the tooth, connect the other end to a door handle, then slam the door shut. (Or possibly jerk the head backward. I'm not sure). I've not seen it in action, but apparently it works. Possibly an old WW2 POW solution.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6358 posts
191 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 9:51 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if they did (use pliers) . I think that in the past, dentists did do a lot of unnecessary fillings and such because this was their bread and butter. When I was a kid, I could count on one hand, and have some fingers left over, as to how many kids had braces. People didn't have cosmetic things done, like whitening, bonding and the sort. Sure, sometimes people got caps and yes, root canals did happen but for the most part, it was fillings so I think that "some" dentists made fillings where it wasn't necessary.

As far as the two incidents when I was just a tiny kid, well, I'd like to think that these were not typical situations. I'm sure I was probably very uncooperative as I really didn't want to be without my mom, and with a stranger, but one would hope that a professional would know how to deal with that sort of thing, without resorting to slapping (who knows if he would have gone through with it had my mom not intervened) and threatening a scared little kid that she would never see her mom again. It certainly didn't set a good base for my trust in dentists and then when you add "Dr. Mengele" into the mix, it's always left a very bad taste in my mouth. (pun intended). At least today they have dentists who specialize in dealing with little kids.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8810 posts
2127 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
deltone wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 7:44 pm
I have had a horrid history with dentists and so yes, I'm not a fan but do go as I realize it's a necessity.

When I was 3 my mom took me to the dentist and they made her stay in the waiting room. I was a very shy kid and didn't take well to being seperated from my mom with some stranger. Anyhow, I was screaming and my mom ran into the room and she saw the dentist with his hand up ready to smack me. She grabbed me and we left. No, she didn't report him as it was a long time ago and people tended to let things like that go.

So then she takes me to the dental college for a check-up and I was even more scared now thanks to the other dentist. I'm crying for my mother and the doctor told me that if I didn't stop crying I would never see my mother again. She heard this and again came and got me. Believe it or not, I still have "minor" memories of these two incidents, even though this happened a VERY long time ago.

Next, they found me a dentist on the Danforth (and Donlands) Dr. Freudman. This guy did a number on both my brother and my teeth. Seemed that we always had a lot of cavities even though we were taking excellent care of our teeth. He would drill our teeth without freezing. We were terrified of going to see this sadist every 6 months but my parents felt he was doing a great job.

So then as I got a bit older, they found another dentist, who was closer. Dr. Abrahms was his name, at the Golden Mile in Scarborough. This crook didn't even have a receptionist. He too always seemed to find an extraordinary number of cavities. He would make you pay in cash and he put the money in his pocket. I was in high school at the time and so I went there on my own so I told my parents what he was doing so we stopped going to him.

Next I went to a really nice doctor in Leaside. He seemed to be a good guy but I can't remember why I stopped going to him as a young adult.

Then I went to this dentist in Pickering. I really liked him and even recommended him to several of my friends and they liked him. So one day my friend goes there to make an appointment, only to be told that he no longer worked there. When she pressed for where he was now working they wouldn't tell her. She was insistent because she really liked him and then finally one of the gals who worked there told her that he had be let go due to serious improprieties but didn't elaborate on what they were.

So then I found another dentist who was okay but we moved so I needed to find another one. This guy was a butcher but his partner was good so within the same practice I switched dentists but then he left.

So then I find another one who seemed to be really good except that his main focus seemed to be encouraging expensive cosmetic dentistry and he didn't seem to care about real issues so I stopped going to him, only to find out from a bunch of people I knew who also went to him that he lost his practice and that he was actually losing his license as he'd been pulling all sorts of funny business.

Since then, I've just been looking for a good dentist and go to my husband's dentist (who I don't care for) until I can find a good one.

I know, it could appear that the common denominator is me, and that perhaps I'm the one with problems but I assure you that all that I wrote is 100% true and in fact, I've even left out a lot of the gory details.

I do understand that not all dentists are crooks or butchers but in my experience, the good ones are few and far between. I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST!!!
Certainly not a great experience. I suggest to keep looking until you find the right dentist. Most dentists offer free consultation, maybe use that to scope some offices out and get at least some feel of the dentist and their staff. Good luck)
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
411 upvotes
Ottawa
People coming in every day to endure various levels of pain just to be presented with a painful bill. Sucks for patients but also sucks for the dentists who have to deal with this leading to the highest suicide rate of all professions. There is only so much money can buy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
184 upvotes
markom wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 10:14 pm
People coming in every day to endure various levels of pain just to be presented with a painful bill. Sucks for patients but also sucks for the dentists who have to deal with this leading to the highest suicide rate of all professions. There is only so much money can buy.
Wait, what? That's news to me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6358 posts
191 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 10:12 pm
Certainly not a great experience. I suggest to keep looking until you find the right dentist. Most dentists offer free consultation, maybe use that to scope some offices out and get at least some feel of the dentist and their staff. Good luck)
Thanks. Yes, I do keep looking and hopefully will be able to find a good one. Oddly enough, my daughter-in-law is a dental hygienist and even she has told me horror stories about some of the dentists she used to work for and she quit due to some of their odd behaviours and ways of doing things. Even the one she presently works for has some strange ways of doing things and he has tried to get her to do certain things while doing her job, like billing for extras and something to do with her instruments (I forget exactly what) but she refuses because she knows it's wrong and her licence is on the line. Greed is a strange thing.
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 10:17 pm
It's true.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Dumbbelldore wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 10:17 pm
According to this list, (googled), doctors are worst, dentists second: http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the ... ide-rates/

1.67X national average suicide rate.

"studies suggest that dentists are more likely to suffer from mental disorders, but are also more reluctant to seek treatment for disorders, perhaps explaining the higher than average suicide rate."

Apparently dentists are afraid of psychiatrists! ;)

(The insane rarely want to be identified).

[video]
[/video]

(Steve Martin classic).
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
173 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 8:01 am
My dad would fall asleep, full on snoring in the dentists chair. I also have no fear of the dentist and as of late have also started falling asleep.
Yeah, my biggest problem with dentistry these days is trying not to fall asleep while they're working :) .

I certainly wouldn't have said that about the National Health Service dentists who worked on my teeth as a kid in England.