None
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
movieman wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 11:09 pm
Yeah, my biggest problem with dentistry these days is trying not to fall asleep while they're working :) .

I certainly wouldn't have said that about the National Health Service dentists who worked on my teeth as a kid in England.
I'll bet your English fillings are still in place, doing their job, to this day. Unless your CDN dentist convinced you to replace them with "prettier" ones.

As for falling asleep, you do realise they have gas that causes that, right?
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
171 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 11:15 pm
I'll bet your English fillings are still in place, doing their job, to this day. Unless your CDN dentist convinced you to replace them with "prettier" ones.
No, they're falling apart. I had some of them replaced before I left the UK, and a couple more this year in Canada. In fact, I think they're all gone now.
LOL. That's what we used to get as kids, when they still used needles the size of drinking straws.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
movieman wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 12:40 am
No, they're falling apart. I had some of them replaced before I left the UK, and a couple more this year in Canada. In fact, I think they're all gone now.

LOL. That's what we used to get as kids, when they still used needles the size of drinking straws.
I guess I should have asked how long the UK ones lasted. I suspect they lasted a lot longer than ones you'd receive here today will last. Though perhaps they're less durable there now too. Dentists everywhere want to get rich, even if it means creating extra work.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
225 upvotes
Mecca
I love going to get my teeth cleaned.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
12039 posts
2154 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Sparky9087 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 8:01 am
My dad would fall asleep, full on snoring in the dentists chair. I also have no fear of the dentist and as of late have also started falling asleep. It helps to remember these are professionals who arent out to hurt you. Though it runs in my family to not be scared of the dentist. I assume it has to do with how sensitive peoples teeth and mouths are. I had braces and describe the entire experiance as "a minor incoveniance." Ive only ever had one cavity and getting that filled whats a bit of pain but i was fine within 2 hours of getting it done
Try falling asleep while a root canals being done on you lol
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1622 posts
58 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 10:46 pm
According to this list, (googled), doctors are worst, dentists second: http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the ... ide-rates/

1.67X national average suicide rate.

"studies suggest that dentists are more likely to suffer from mental disorders, but are also more reluctant to seek treatment for disorders, perhaps explaining the higher than average suicide rate."

Apparently dentists are afraid of psychiatrists! ;)

(The insane rarely want to be identified).

[video]
[/video]

(Steve Martin classic).
:lol:
Jan 23, 2016
617 posts
91 upvotes
North York, ON
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 11:15 pm

Why are new fillings falling apart? As i understand they are a composite material and will last forever. I can definately see the old metal ones falling apart
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2006
4157 posts
157 upvotes
North York
I was always afraid of the dentist as a child however I'm not sure why as I never had a bad experience. I used to count down the days until my appointment and dreaded going. After I turned 13-14 I stopped minding as my mature mind finally realized there was nothing to be afraid of. I still go to the same dental office I did as a child and see the same hygienist who takes great care of me. Every time I go I still see the old toys in the waiting room that I played with as a child! My dentist has since retired but the other dentists at the practice have taken over his patients. Today's modern dentistry should not hurt and if it does, you need to tell the dentist. There are thousands of dentists out there and if you don't like the way yours is doing the work or treating you, don't go back to their office. Nobody should have to feel uncomfortable when seeing a medical practitioner.
If you drive dangerously I hope you get caught and lose your license/car/dignity! :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28749 posts
916 upvotes
Fernando Po
nasa25 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 7:14 am
Try falling asleep while a root canals being done on you lol
Why? I've had many, never a problem while they're being done but I've had two fail.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
48 posts
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 1:40 am
I think you may have me confused with someone else but growing up dental hygiene wasn't a very important topic in my family since we came from very humble backgrounds. That said, my dad has always preached about brushing since he lost his teeth due to health problems and has had dentures of some kind since his early 40s.

If and when I have kids, I'll likely carry on preaching that sentiment. Having good dental health is so important not only to your overall health but your wallet as well, lol. It baffles me why they're not regulated. Every new dentist I visit or call to inquire about something, one of their first question is... do you have insurance?

They are quite shameless about their approach as well. Why should a cleaning cost me $100 if I'm paying for it myself but $150 if my insurance company is paying?
You've segue'd about it a few times like that thread you made saying OHIP will soon pay for SRS but not for oral care and that thread about smelling one's breath or to that effect. You seem to have some oral fixation.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Sparky9087 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 12:30 pm
Why are new fillings falling apart? As i understand they are a composite material and will last forever. I can definately see the old metal ones falling apart
New ones shouldn't fail quickly, but like everything these days products, probably including fillings, are designed to need replacing within a certain period. That keeps the suppliers busy, and money rolling in. If products were truly made to last for ever, (as they once were), once the market is supplied there will be little or no further demand. Just ask GoPro. Their sales volumes are down drastically.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
LUMilkman wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 1:56 am
I love going to get my teeth cleaned.
Going is fine. It's when you get there that the "fun" begins.

BTW, after posting that Steve Martin clip the other day, I sat down to watch my Little Show of Horrors dvd today. Great movie, and great songs. The dentist segment is especially hilarious. And terrifying. Strongly recommended viewing! :D
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
48 posts
I've had my silver amalgam fillings for 10+ years. I read they're a health hazard? I had them done in the Philippines. When I was a TFW and had no dental insurance, I was without dental care for years. I came back to the Philippines and I had a root canal for about 7000 pesos = $500+ and wisdom tooth extraction and retainer for 10,000 pesos = $700+. vs 1000s of $$$ in Canada.

~$1000 on plane ticket and another $1000 for dental procedures, and I got to enjoy the summer in a tropical island.

They did a good job. My jaw was clicking for months after the root canal but it's ok now. I threw out my old retainers and noticed my teeth started having gaps and they're crooked again. Didn't know they're lifetime in my case.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
entersandman wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 4:56 pm
I threw out my old retainers and noticed my teeth started having gaps and they're crooked again. Didn't know they're lifetime in my case.
Never mind. "Perfect" teeth look like falsies. Natural teeth are supposed to have variations, adding "character". I used to know two identical twin beauties in school, and the only way visually to tell them apart (unless you recognised their clothing) was that one had a slight gap between the two front teeth. Had she had that "fixed" she would have lost something unique to herself. Her father, btw, was a successful architect, so his profession required an ability to see what looked best - and he obviously stuck with what came natural. Needless to say, both were married by the end of university, gap or not.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
7708 posts
1239 upvotes
entersandman wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 4:56 pm
I've had my silver amalgam fillings for 10+ years. I read they're a health hazard? I had them done in the Philippines. When I was a TFW and had no dental insurance, I was without dental care for years. I came back to the Philippines and I had a root canal for about 7000 pesos = $500+ and wisdom tooth extraction and retainer for 10,000 pesos = $700+. vs 1000s of $$$ in Canada.

~$1000 on plane ticket and another $1000 for dental procedures, and I got to enjoy the summer in a tropical island.

They did a good job. My jaw was clicking for months after the root canal but it's ok now. I threw out my old retainers and noticed my teeth started having gaps and they're crooked again. Didn't know they're lifetime in my case.
Saving are good, but a lot of time reflected in the quality of work. You also get absolutely no guarantees and no one to pursue in case of a problem, which do happen. You are pretty much bound by the other countries laws, which may be not good at all (especially for tourists). I'd avoid this method at all costs, even if extremely cheap. Sure you can sometimes get quality work there too, but is it worth the risk? Its not like a car that can be replaced. Mistakes are very costly here.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel