• Feb 22nd, 2017 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I'm one of those unfortunate people that freezing doesn't work very well on. I've had it fade halfway through a root canal. My dentist and me now use a signal I make when the freezing is wearing off. He has to stop, more needles and wait unti I'm frozen again.

As for fear, I have none. My hygienist is far worse than my dentist in terms of painful.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
Andro wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 5:15 pm
Saving are good, but a lot of time reflected in the quality of work. You also get absolutely no guarantees and no one to pursue in case of a problem, which do happen. You are pretty much bound by the other countries laws, which may be not good at all (especially for tourists). I'd avoid this method at all costs, even if extremely cheap. Sure you can sometimes get quality work there too, but is it worth the risk? Its not like a car that can be replaced. Mistakes are very costly here.
Ive heard dentists in the states just north of the border make good money fox8ng mexican dentist screwups. As someone who had horrible tmj to the point of being barely able to sleep, id recommend doing ones due dilligemce in selecting a dentist. I got the tmj from invisalign(the easy way out) rather than getting real braces and doing things properly the first time. Im probably gonna catch hell for knocking invisalign but as someone who has had both, regular braces were 1000x nicer and more comfortable. And i still got laid my fair share at 23 with normal braces.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Andro wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 5:15 pm
Saving are good, but a lot of time reflected in the quality of work. You also get absolutely no guarantees and no one to pursue in case of a problem, which do happen. You are pretty much bound by the other countries laws, which may be not good at all (especially for tourists). I'd avoid this method at all costs, even if extremely cheap. Sure you can sometimes get quality work there too, but is it worth the risk? Its not like a car that can be replaced. Mistakes are very costly here.
Yes they are. And they happen here too. More frequently than most are aware. The dentist-run "RCDS" aren't any more legit than foreign countries' legal systems either. Dentists have the final say - despite obvious bias. Whichever way you go, you are taking a risk. Brush your own teeth frequently and put off needing a dentist at all. They are a recent creation. Past generations had no dentists at all, just barbers who pulled teeth, and they only died of dental issues extremely rarely. Put the money saved toward your own flash car or mansion! ;)
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Sparky9087 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 5:24 pm
And i still got laid my fair share at 23 with normal braces.
Because the girls with braces considered you one of their own and were equally desperate. ;)

It's not quantity that counts, btw. That just means you're disposable too.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2091 posts
214 upvotes
Dentist scare
Me
When they not good. And money grab you. Otherwise I am not afraid.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
172 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 4:41 pm
If products were truly made to last for ever, (as they once were), once the market is supplied there will be little or no further demand. Just ask GoPro. Their sales volumes are down drastically.
That's silly. Film cameras could last for decades, because the 'smarts' were in the film, not the camera. There's no such longevity in digital cameras, because there's always new technology coming along.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6357 posts
191 upvotes
king_george wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 5:23 pm
I'm one of those unfortunate people that freezing doesn't work very well on. I've had it fade halfway through a root canal. My dentist and me now use a signal I make when the freezing is wearing off. He has to stop, more needles and wait unti I'm frozen again.

As for fear, I have none. My hygienist is far worse than my dentist in terms of painful.
I had a root canal done on my top front tooth, years back. The dentist told me he wasn't going to freeze it and I started to freak out (due to my fear and my experience as a kid) and he assured me it would be fine. He promised me that if I felt any pain or discomfort, he would stop and give me freezing. Much to my surprise, and delight, I didn't feel a thing. I was 100% painless (and I had a dental plan at the time so that was a bonus).

I've had 3 root canals and none of them were painful so I've never understood the expression "as much fun as a root canal" because while I didn't enjoy the experience, it really wasn't that bad. I have found that the scaling can be far more painful and annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
deltone wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 10:04 pm
I had a root canal done on my top front tooth, years back. The dentist told me he wasn't going to freeze it and I started to freak out (due to my fear and my experience as a kid) and he assured me it would be fine. He promised me that if I felt any pain or discomfort, he would stop and give me freezing. Much to my surprise, and delight, I didn't feel a thing. I was 100% painless (and I had a dental plan at the time so that was a bonus).

I've had 3 root canals and none of them were painful so I've never understood the expression "as much fun as a root canal" because while I didn't enjoy the experience, it really wasn't that bad. I have found that the scaling can be far more painful and annoying.
My root canal was a result of an injury and was quite inflamed and nearly infected when it was fixed. The other one I had was minimal freezing because he had to prepare it for a crown.
My hygienist is also known as torquemada.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
movieman wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 9:48 pm
That's silly. Film cameras could last for decades, because the 'smarts' were in the film, not the camera. There's no such longevity in digital cameras, because there's always new technology coming along.
Even if that was actually true, (and GoPro's problems prove it isn't), there is a lot more to the world than just digital cameras. While I like my digital cameras, and taking photos, I could live without them. As I did for years before they arrived. Some things though are pretty much essential, and usually even they are designed to fail after a certain period. Ever wondered who old Model T Fords can be kept running practically forever, while some 2009 cars are already rusting away? Or why 1970s Northern Telecom rotary phones continue to work problem-free, while the cheapo Chinese pushbutton phone you bought last year is already dead? "Designed obsolescence". Today's engineers aren't less intelligent than their predecessors, but their bosses cut corners and costs and essentially force them to produce inferior consumer goods. Fortunately bridges and skyscrapers aren't built that way. At least not yet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6357 posts
191 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 10:30 pm
Even if that was actually true, (and GoPro's problems prove it isn't), there is a lot more to the world than just digital cameras. While I like my digital cameras, and taking photos, I could live without them. As I did for years before they arrived. Some things though are pretty much essential, and usually even they are designed to fail after a certain period. Ever wondered who old Model T Fords can be kept running practically forever, while some 2009 cars are already rusting away? Or why 1970s Northern Telecom rotary phones continue to work problem-free, while the cheapo Chinese pushbutton phone you bought last year is already dead? "Designed obsolescence". Today's engineers aren't less intelligent than their predecessors, but their bosses cut corners and costs and essentially force them to produce inferior consumer goods. Fortunately bridges and skyscrapers aren't built that way. At least not yet.
Appliances fall under this category as well. Many will say you're lucky if you get 9 or 10 years out of a fridge today (and washers and dryers) but years ago, fridges rarely died. I believe most products are designed this way, these days.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
2363 posts
172 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2016 10:30 pm
Even if that was actually true, (and GoPro's problems prove it isn't)
No, they don't. GoPro's problems, as far as I can see, are that they haven't had anything much new to offer for a while, and camera phones have pretty much caught up with what they were offering.

The new things in cameras are 360 degree shooting and 3D, which GoPro doesn't yet have on the market.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
movieman wrote:
Apr 25th, 2016 12:14 am
No, they don't. GoPro's problems, as far as I can see, are that they haven't had anything much new to offer for a while, and camera phones have pretty much caught up with what they were offering.

The new things in cameras are 360 degree shooting and 3D, which GoPro doesn't yet have on the market.
No, GoPro's main problem is that there are only so many extreme sports enthusiasts out there who want to record video of their adventures. Once they've bought their GoPros, so long as they don't break, and so long as they still do the job they were bought for, (as they do), then there's little if any reason to buy another. Hence sales plateau and decline. If they could slash prices drastically, sales would increase, to less serious sports fans, but odds are the cheaper version would no longer be worthy of the "GoPro" name, so people would buy even cheaper alternatives instead.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6475 posts
167 upvotes
Not afraid, but I hate going there because its uncomfortable, costs a bunch of money, and can be painful after the fact.
Also, I really hate getting talked to when I can't respond because my mouth is open with some instrument stuck in it. Then the dentist or hygienist blathers on about something inane like how to brush your teeth properly, because even though I don't have any cavities in the seven years since I visited, they feel I somehow need that lecture on how to brush my teeth.

And what kind of person actually wants a job staring into other peoples mouths all day other than for the money?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1582 posts
535 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
I'm more afraid of lunatic RFD members than the dentist. Stop being girlie men.

Dentists are necessary for thorough cleaning but I do agree that they are also motivated to push extras that you don't necessarily need like whitening. Best to educate yourself about what the dentists do and to read your x-rays.

And if you don't floss regularly, you are not cleaning 30% of your teeth and this is the most important 30% because it is where bacteria thrive. Flossing is more important than brushing your teeth since brushing only reaches the easy surfaces that your tongue already scrape.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14412 posts
1053 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="JoeStale" post_id="25786667" time="1461561372" user_id="1132269"]I'm more afraid of lunatic RFD members than the dentist. Stop being girlie men.

Dentists are necessary for thorough cleaning but I do agree that they are also motivated to push extras that you don't necessarily need like whitening. Best to educate yourself about what the dentists do and to read your x-rays.

And if you don't floss regularly, you are not cleaning 30% of your teeth and this is the most important 30% because it is where bacteria thrive. Flossing is more important than brushing your teeth since brushing only reaches the easy surfaces that your tongue already scrape.[/QUOT

Lol