• Feb 22nd, 2017 11:15 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7552 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
I HATE going to the dentist. I have a bad gag reflex, even brushing my back teeth can trigger it. HOWEVER, every single time I think how much I hate going to the dentist, I remind myself what going to the 'dentist' would have been like only 100 years ago. Problem solved. :)

But if they want to do a mould of my teeth, I will rip their arm off before I let them ;)
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14073 posts
3099 upvotes
Dentist, yes. Oral surgeon, no. Had some good experiences with dentists but several bad experiences with tooth extractions. 2 removed without local anesthesia. Had my last 8 removed while under full anesthesia at the hospital. They had to break the teeth and cut into the gumline to remove them. Try doing that in a dentist's office. Lots of people only taking so many courses so they get their dentist license. Doing the extra to get oral surgery license seems too much for them, so they don't do it. Know one guy who had his wife take the course. She passed with flying colours and is a very good oral surgeon. I don't think very highly of him though as he was one of the 2 guys that took teeth out the wrong way...
Sep 27, 2009
710 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary
Lol. An Oral Surgeon doesn't just take a course to become one. It is a 6 year residency in a hospital after graduating Dental School with a dentist diploma . While a resident, they also have to attend medical school and get an Medical Doctor diploma as well. It involves a lot of school and training. In the end an Oral Surgeon does a lot more than just taking out wisdom teeth...

However, there are wisdom teeth extraction courses available for interested dentists and so are implant placement courses. A general dentist will become proficient in those, but that won't make him an Oral Surgeon.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
DougO wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 12:15 am
Lots of people only taking so many courses so they get their dentist license. Doing the extra to get oral surgery license seems too much for them, so they don't do it. Know one guy who had his wife take the course. She passed with flying colours and is a very good oral surgeon.
Sounds like they are just taking night courses at the local college. :lol:

Fact is, they do have to take several years of highly expensive university courses to become dentists. I'm not sure why the courses are quite so expensive, unless they get to keep the equipment at the end, but it certainly helps keep regular Joes out of the profession. It seems like many graduate dentists are the children of other dentists, who can afford to help them with initial costs and help them get set up after graduation.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Sep 27, 2009
710 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 12:56 am
Sounds like they are just taking night courses at the local college. :lol:
It seems like many graduate dentists are the children of other dentists, who can afford to help them with initial costs and help them get set up after graduation.
The issue is not the money. Sure, after dental school you are 200K-250K in debt, but the banks will give you the money if necessary. The big problem is getting in and finishing it, tuition cost is secondary.
Jan 23, 2016
659 posts
113 upvotes
North York, ON
claudiu_corbea wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 1:09 am
The issue is not the money. Sure, after dental school you are 200K-250K in debt, but the banks will give you the money if necessary. The big problem is getting in and finishing it, tuition cost is secondary.
This. Rbc will give you a student loan at 1% above prime. 40-250k if its a professional degree(engineering, medicine, nursing etc). The rates are cheaper than osap. Not to mention osap application process is so painful.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8150 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2016 12:24 am
[IMG]http://creativedentalcare.com/wp-conten ... entist.jpg[/IMG]

I think it's up there along with public speaking. So who here is afraid of the dentist and avoid them like the plague unless the pain is unbearable?

I recently had some work done and now I'm getting over a cold/flu. Seems the last few times I've visited a dentist, I would always get 'sick' a day or two later.

Can't be a coincidence. My immediate theory is that their instruments are not sterile and I may have got remnants of someone else germs and got sick. I went Googling for answers. One possible scenario is that our mouths are full of germs but while in our mouths they don't do any harm but when it gets into our bloodstream, it's a different story.

Anyway, to say that I'm afraid of the dentist is an understatement. My back was stiff as a board most of the time I spent in the chair getting my work done. It's like a scene out of a movie where someone is strapped down and given juice to fry them. Arched back and white knuckled. LOL,

Damn this runny nose and constant sneezing though.
I'm terrified of flying, not as much now but when I was young I hated it. That said I'm good now but I don't like heights and that will never change.

When I was a kid, I got fillings at the dentist and they would freeze my mouth with that huge needle thing, I could still even after a second freezing feel the drilling and it was horrible.

Know what I hate at the dentist? The polish during the cleaning. I love the dentist for one reason, I love how my teeth and mouth in general feel after a teeth cleaning so no I'm not afraid of it.
Sep 27, 2009
710 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary
Sparky9087 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 1:11 am
This. Rbc will give you a student loan at 1% above prime. 40-250k if its a professional degree(engineering, medicine, nursing etc). The rates are cheaper than osap. Not to mention osap application process is so painful.
It is prime now, whoever is paying 1% above prime is getting a bad deal.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14073 posts
3099 upvotes
claudiu_corbea wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 12:37 am
Lol. An Oral Surgeon doesn't just take a course to become one. It is a 6 year residency in a hospital after graduating Dental School with a dentist diploma . While a resident, they also have to attend medical school and get an Medical Doctor diploma as well. It involves a lot of school and training. In the end an Oral Surgeon does a lot more than just taking out wisdom teeth...

However, there are wisdom teeth extraction courses available for interested dentists and so are implant placement courses. A general dentist will become proficient in those, but that won't make him an Oral Surgeon.
At any rate, I'd still take my oral surgeon over any dentist I've been at in the past 5 decades. As far as taking the extra courses, at least where I am, things like implant surgery or wisdom teeth removal aren't common from the older dentists. I CAN get those done but the waiting list is long. Some younger dentists seem eager for business and have taken the prerequisite courses and offer all the extras. Older, established firms don't have it or refer you to others. Like they hit a plateau and never went any further. My motto was you can and should always get better. Not the same for some people though. I am very grateful for my oral surgeon having removed the teeth. I can't pass by my previous dentist's office without grimacing. I wear dentures now but have returned to eating things like hard nuts, hard vegetables, steak, etc. which were denied me for almost 10 years. It's great! Sure, it would have been nice to have kept my permanent teeth but that (in my case) wasn't possible.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
claudiu_corbea wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 1:09 am
Getting in isn't that difficult. One of my university dormmates was, I believe, already in dentistry, straight from high school. His father, of course, was a dentist. A neighbour of mine was a dentist. Just like his father. A dentist neighbour when I was a kid was the son of a dentist too. See the blatantly obvious pattern here?

As for that debt, imagine not graduating. What happens then, saddled with enormous debt? So I doubt that Canadian dental schools ever actually fail students. Even less-competent ones. Which probably explains the incompetent dentists out there.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
XtremeModder wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 1:38 am
Know what I hate at the dentist? The polish during the cleaning. I love the dentist for one reason, I love how my teeth and mouth in general feel after a teeth cleaning so no I'm not afraid of it.
If you brush your own teeth regularly and adequately they should already be clean. You can't get cleaner than clean. So I can't see how a dentist's cleaning should feel any different. Unless you like stretching your jaw muscles or something. You can do that yourself too, btw, without paying a dentist for the privilege.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
BTW, today's news:

‘Cruel and perverse’ Dutch dentist jailed in France

Jacobus Van Nierop, dubbed the ‘horror dentist,’ gets 8 years in prison for causing ‘mutilations’ or ‘permanent disabilities’ to patients. He was arrested in Canada in 2014.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016 ... anada.html

No doubt he would have been mutilating Canadian mouths too by now if he hadn't been arrested. Close call.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1582 posts
535 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Tornado F2 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 5:54 pm
If you brush your own teeth regularly and adequately they should already be clean. You can't get cleaner than clean. So I can't see how a dentist's cleaning should feel any different. Unless you like stretching your jaw muscles or something. You can do that yourself too, btw, without paying a dentist for the privilege.
Brushing doesn't get your teeth that clean, it misses 30% of the teeth area between the teeth and under the gums. You can get to most of it by flossing but plaque can still build up over time.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1715 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
JoeStale wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 6:31 pm
Brushing doesn't get your teeth that clean, it misses 30% of the teeth area between the teeth and under the gums. You can get to most of it by flossing but plaque can still build up over time.
"Brushing" was meant to include flossing.

Speaking of gums though, I believe finding a way to restore aging gums is far more important than making teeth impossibly white. Without good foundations, even the most dazzling structure is doomed. Yet so far as I am aware, they have as yet come up with no way to restore gums. Whitening teeth is obviously simpler, and thus far more lucrative.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
onlineharvest wrote:
Apr 25th, 2016 10:28 am
I HATE going to the dentist. I have a bad gag reflex, even brushing my back teeth can trigger it. HOWEVER, every single time I think how much I hate going to the dentist, I remind myself what going to the 'dentist' would have been like only 100 years ago. Problem solved. :)

But if they want to do a mould of my teeth, I will rip their arm off before I let them ;)
I have the gagging issue as well. I also have a small throat. It is not pleasant!