• Mar 9th, 2018 10:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3627 posts
1223 upvotes
Vaughan
yo2boy wrote: Any advice you'd like to share for visiting Chicago? We're going to drive there from Toronto. Also, where did you get your deep dish pizza? I'm hungry now Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
I was there for like 2 days. But I made use of every hour. I stayed at an airbnb. I made sure it was on near a subway/train station. I can't recall correctly but I think the red and blue lines run either most hours of the day and night, or 24 hours. I was on one of those lines though. I bought a 3 day unlimited pass for transit. You can ride any subway line, and buses all day. I choose this option over driving or uber. I did do quite a bit in my 2 days there.

I did everything in the citypass. Some of attractions were side by side, walking distance. So there no need for a bus/train in between those attractions. Like most trips I do. I always look at the locations of each I attraction I would like to visit, and place it on a map, so I know how far each attraction is away from each other. But I would say I do that on literally all my trips now.

I had deep dish pizza at Giordano's and it was amazing. They have several different locations, so no matter where you are, I'm sure you can find a location that's not too far from you. Not sure if you've ever had deep dish pizza. Let's just say, order a smaller size pizza than you can normally finish, or maybe 2 sizes smaller. I met up with my cousin in Chicago, so I ate a pizza there with him, however we were both on our own trips. I only met up with him to eat pizza. We shared either a 6 or 8 slice pizza. I think I ordered a medium or small. Can't clearly remember. All I know is we didn't finish it. It was amazing though. Highly recommend Giordano's.

Also if you plan on seeing Buckingham fountain or cloud gate (aka the bean) which is located in millennium park. The park does close at 11pm. There is security there all night. If you go past 11pm, they will ask you to leave. I went there my first night around 11:30pm. I got there around 10pm the next night. Still a lot of people there at 10pm at night. Buckingham fountain is lit up at night with colour changing lights. Its much nicer to see at night. As for the bean, you'll probably get better photos of it in the day.

I drove to Chicago. I believe I left the GTA around 4am, and arrived around 11:30am (est time, toronto time, so 10:30am chicago time). Just remember there is a 1 hour time difference. I didn't realize that until I arrived. So you hypothetically get an extra hour. I went to Chicago on a Sunday. I ran into a lot of traffic once I arrive into the core of Chicago. I didn't realize why the traffic was so bad. Then I realized it was a Sunday, and there was a Chicago bears football game that day. I was in the vicinity of the stadium. I guess you won't have that problem though, since football season is over.

Also to note. Chicago isn't the prettiest city, some of it looks a bit rough, especially some parts just outside of the downtown core. Don't expect the train to look as nice as the trains on the TTC. We have really nice trains here in Toronto. Something I think we take for granted, until we travel to other cities with transit that doesn't look as nice. Just giving you a heads up, if you do take the transit system. I would highly recommend taking the train. Anyways good luck, hopefully I've given you some useful advice. Enjoy your travels.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
3526 posts
1871 upvotes
GTA
phuviano wrote: I was there for like 2 days. But I made use of every hour. I stayed at an airbnb. I made sure it was on near a subway/train station. I can't recall correctly but I think the red and blue lines run either most hours of the day and night, or 24 hours. I was on one of those lines though. I bought a 3 day unlimited pass for transit. You can ride any subway line, and buses all day. I choose this option over driving or uber. I did do quite a bit in my 2 days there.

I did everything in the citypass. Some of attractions were side by side, walking distance. So there no need for a bus/train in between those attractions. Like most trips I do. I always look at the locations of each I attraction I would like to visit, and place it on a map, so I know how far each attraction is away from each other. But I would say I do that on literally all my trips now.

I had deep dish pizza at Giordano's and it was amazing. They have several different locations, so no matter where you are, I'm sure you can find a location that's not too far from you. Not sure if you've ever had deep dish pizza. Let's just say, order a smaller size pizza than you can normally finish, or maybe 2 sizes smaller. I met up with my cousin in Chicago, so I ate a pizza there with him, however we were both on our own trips. I only met up with him to eat pizza. We shared either a 6 or 8 slice pizza. I think I ordered a medium or small. Can't clearly remember. All I know is we didn't finish it. It was amazing though. Highly recommend Giordano's.

Also if you plan on seeing Buckingham fountain or cloud gate (aka the bean) which is located in millennium park. The park does close at 11pm. There is security there all night. If you go past 11pm, they will ask you to leave. I went there my first night around 11:30pm. I got there around 10pm the next night. Still a lot of people there at 10pm at night. Buckingham fountain is lit up at night with colour changing lights. Its much nicer to see at night. As for the bean, you'll probably get better photos of it in the day.

I drove to Chicago. I believe I left the GTA around 4am, and arrived around 11:30am (est time, toronto time, so 10:30am chicago time). Just remember there is a 1 hour time difference. I didn't realize that until I arrived. So you hypothetically get an extra hour. I went to Chicago on a Sunday. I ran into a lot of traffic once I arrive into the core of Chicago. I didn't realize why the traffic was so bad. Then I realized it was a Sunday, and there was a Chicago bears football game that day. I was in the vicinity of the stadium. I guess you won't have that problem though, since football season is over.

Also to note. Chicago isn't the prettiest city, some of it looks a bit rough, especially some parts just outside of the downtown core. Don't expect the train to look as nice as the trains on the TTC. We have really nice trains here in Toronto. Something I think we take for granted, until we travel to other cities with transit that doesn't look as nice. Just giving you a heads up, if you do take the transit system. I would highly recommend taking the train. Anyways good luck, hopefully I've given you some useful advice. Enjoy your travels.
You gave me more than I could ask for! Thanks a lot!
I love RFD! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1026 posts
294 upvotes
I've done it several times and am always looking forward to my next trip.

I wouldn't say it's entirely by choice. I've never had a significant other and all my friends are married. But even if I had the option to travel with someone else I'd feel like a I have to compromise on what I want to see. Also making arrangements on your own in hectic enough so to have to vet it through someone else is just so much additional work!

The best part is you can see exactly what you want to see. You can be spontaneous if you decide you don't like a museum and want to leave, or you can go see something you weren't planning to see without having to consult anyone else.

The downside is of course paying more for accommodation but in Europe there are some hotels that are designed for a single person so you aren't paying quite double what you would pay if you were travelling with someone. Personally I am not into hostels and hotels are really expensive. Also a lot of train tickets in Europe give you a deal if you travel in groups.

Lots of single travellers are also uncomfortable eating alone. I'm not saying you should be but I personally would be at a nice restaurant. On the plus, this has allowed me to explore fast food places where I am comfortable eating. Obviously you should not be eating greasy food every day, but you get to see what is on the menu at these different chains. It's something you would not be able to to if you ate at the nice restaurants. I also love exploring grocery stores in other countries and you can usually grab a quick bite there too. In addition to saving money, you save so much time not having to chit chat and you can spend that time seeing stuff or resting up.

On that point, I am an introvert and while I enjoy talking to my friends, it can be draining, especially after a long trip. I have ended so many days of exploring on a train back to the hotel and it is so nice to just doze off on the train instead of having to chit chat.

On the negative, there are things I have wanted to do which I haven't been able to. I have wanted to try going on a cruise, and to Harry Potter world in Florida, and a quick trip to Vegas. I'm not saying people shouldn't go alone but it's something I'd only do with someone else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)