Personal Finance

Are you considering a retirement in a third world country?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:20 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
thanks for the further information

certainly doesn't seem like a third world country where you live eh!

how long have you been living year round in Muskoka?
Bullseye wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 3:48 pm
The towns you named are the big 3, where most people live. Bracebridge and Huntsville are big enough that they have Walmarts. My post was specific to Bracebridge, though.

I can't speak for many seniors, but I run and ski with some of the younger ones. The older/less active ones do the same thing they do in the city, sit in groups at Tim's or McD's and chat, like you said. There is no mall here for the mall walking crowd, but there is an indoor track that has a walking club that attracts a lot of seniors. Pickleball is big here, as is lawn bowling and curling.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
stereoasis wrote:
Nov 5th, 2018 2:31 am
I'm in the Philippines now. I've been coming here since 2012 when I retired at age 40. I usually spend Canadian autumn and winter here and spring and summer in my condo in the Vancouver area.

I bought it very cheap in 2002, paid off my mortgage in 2010 and got a HELOC in 2011 so live off that mostly.

I'm a single guy in my 40's

Canada is great for some things, but of course in others it sucks, so that's why I split my time. Philippines has a low cost of living, tropical climate, English is an official language, and it was an American colony for almost years, so it's quite westernized. You can get by fine without learning Tagalog, since English is the official language of business.

I rent a studio apartment in a condotel for about $400 a month including everything: Rent, laundry, cleaning, internet, water and electricity. Cost of almost everything else is very low. I spend about $150 a month on food and about $6 a month on my cell phone plan. Transit, movies, eating out and going to the beach...most of it very cheap. I usually spend about $800 a month here.
makes zero sense, although I'm willing to learn more about this low cost lifestyle, that appears to require very small income to do it

HELOC money to live on in the Philippines with some side cash selling things on-line

you are spending $800/mth (~$10,000/yr) on expenses plus flights back & forth + misc expenses

then there is health insurance/prescription costs while outside Canada

while you are away & when you come back to Canada 'how do you pay the HELOC, condo fees, utilities & property taxes?

is your condo in Canada occupied while you are away, is someone paying rent/expenses for your condo?

where do you get your income from to pay all the year round expenses?
Oct 23, 2017
495 posts
246 upvotes
GTA West
stereoasis wrote:
I'm in the Philippines now. I've been coming here since 2012 when I retired at age 40. I usually spend Canadian autumn and winter here and spring and summer in my condo in the Vancouver area. I bought it very cheap in 2002, paid off my mortgage in 2010 and got a HELOC in 2011 so live off that mostly. I also sell resell thrift store items online as a hobby. I even brought an extra luggage full of things to sell here.

Canada is great for some things, but of course in others it sucks, so that's why I split my time. Philippines has a low cost of living, tropical climate, English is an official language, and it was an American colony for almost years, so it's quite westernized. You can get by fine without learning Tagalog, since English is the official language of business. I rent a studio apartment in a condotel for about $400 a month including everything: Rent, laundry, cleaning, internet, water and electricity. Cost of almost everything else is very low. I spend about $150 a month on food and about $6 a month on my cell phone plan. Transit, movies, eating out and going to the beach...most of it very cheap. I usually spend about $800 a month here.

I'm a single guy in my 40's and even though I had 5 in a row foreign ESL girlfriends from 2006-2012, I admit to getting nothing since then in Canada. It doesn't matter what dating site or app I use, I get no replies and no matches. I'm over 6 foot, slim and even runway modeled, and its crickets online. Meanwhile here, I'm the choosy one and am currently dating a 19 year old, a 20 year old and a 24 year old, with hopes of meeting more girls.

The catch is that I find most girls here physically unattractive. So yes, I can meet many girls, but I usually only like 1 out of every 10 I meet, and they are usually under 25. They age poorly here, so by 25 most look pretty run down. On top of that they are marriage obsessed and most girls are married by 25. Since divorce is illegal here, all they can do is separate and move on. Problem is adultery is illegal too, so the girl you are dating might be married and dating her could land you in jail, like the poor guy in the link below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... 66u-vaDENQ

If you want proof they are not married, get them to show you a cenomar certificate which proves they are single. So, yes many girls here want to date foreigners, but many are physically unattractive, have aged poorly, are single Mums, and are probably married and often lie about it. If you want to only date unmarried 18-25 year old girls that are not single Mums, and look attractive it will be much tougher, and even then most of them will work 6 days a week, so you can only usually meet them 1-2x per week. Some will also not tell you that they are semi pro hookers and unless you pay them they will not come back again. If you have high standards for appearance, youth and lifestyle like I do, you will probably be disappointed in about 90% of the girls here. Poor skin with a lot of acne, and missing and rotten teeth are my pet peeves and you'll see lots of it here. I've bought 5% benzoyl peroxide cream as a present for some girls because they couldn't afford the $10.

It's really a total mismatch. I'm tall, slim, wealthy, retired, with no health issues and I eat healthy food I cook myself and have almost all of my time free. I don't drink, smoke, no drugs, never married and no kids in my mid 40's. It can sometimes be weird meeting and dating girls 25 years younger and a foot shorter than me when I feel sorry for them because they have essentially nothing and are desperate to get married and have kids and I don't want to, and I'm gone for 6 months of the year. Most girls I previously met married any foreigner they could find after me, and then got fat soon after.

The biggest problems in the Philippines for me (and probably most other visitors):

Very high corruption, 100th out of 180 countries on the transparency index.
Dishonesty is very common here and considered perfectly acceptable.
An average IQ of 86...I had mine tested and scored 136. That's 50 points difference and it shows.
Poverty, most make about $250 a month.
Lack of free time for the locals due to heavy work load.
Fast food diet and increasing obesity rates.
Teen pregnancy and lack of reproductive education.
The idea that religion will solve all the problems when it actually creates many of them. Yes, I'm atheist, and they are usually catholic.

Low IQ's, poor education and poverty are a very bad combination so after 6 months here I'm usually tired of it and happy to go back to Canada but will miss all the attention and of course intimacy with cute brown girls 25 years younger than me.

When I tell people in Canada I went in the Philippines they of course always say oh, how was it there?

I always say: "The internet was very slow, but the girls were very fast". Pretty much the opposite of Canada actually.
Honestly, I can't see why you keep going back to the Philippines. since you have no respect for the country as a whole or the women you meet there. Why not just get a good sex doll? Good teeth, good skin, will never age, and will never get fat, no kids and will never bring up the subject of marriage. And she will not have a job that keeps you from enjoying her charms :)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
3871 posts
1644 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 5:26 pm
Honestly, I can't see why you keep going back to the Philippines. since you have no respect for the country as a whole or the women you meet there. Why not just get a good sex doll? Good teeth, good skin, will never age, and will never get fat, no kids and will never bring up the subject of marriage. And she will not have a job that keeps you from enjoying her charms :)
Or try Cambodia. Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
stereoasis wrote:

I'm a single guy in my 40's and even though I had 5 in a row foreign ESL girlfriends from 2006-2012, I admit to getting nothing since then in Canada. It doesn't matter what dating site or app I use, I get no replies and no matches. I'm over 6 foot, slim and even runway modeled, and its crickets online. Meanwhile here, I'm the choosy one and am currently dating a 19 year old, a 20 year old and a 24 year old, with hopes of meeting more girls.

The catch is that I find most girls here physically unattractive.

So yes, I can meet many girls, but I usually only like 1 out of every 10 I meet, and they are usually under 25.

They age poorly here, so by 25 most look pretty run down. On top of that they are marriage obsessed and most girls are married by 25.

It's really a total mismatch. I'm tall, slim, wealthy, retired, with no health issues and I eat healthy food I cook myself and have almost all of my time free. I don't drink, smoke, no drugs, never married and no kids in my mid 40's. It can sometimes be weird meeting and dating girls 25 years younger and a foot shorter than me when I feel sorry for them because they have essentially nothing and are desperate to get married and have kids and I don't want to, and I'm gone for 6 months of the year.

Low IQ's, poor education and poverty are a very bad combination so after 6 months here I'm usually tired of it and happy to go back to Canada but will miss all the attention and of course intimacy with cute brown girls 25 years younger than me.
OP, from your post, could it be that you are spending upward of $12,000/yr ($1000mth) or more going to Asia just for the xxx ?

would you consider marrying a filipino girl & bring her back to Canada?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
12 pages and 13 downvotes?

Are you not entertained?
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 6:38 pm
12 pages and 13 downvotes?

Are you not entertained?
do you spend part of the year or all of the year living in a third world country, if so, 'why & what if any are the advantages for you'?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 7:39 am
do you spend part of the year or all of the year living in a third world country, if so, 'why & what if any are the advantages for you'?
I spent last five years in Thailand. I am in Canada now, but going back to Thailand in December. I left Canada at 39 and I am 45 now.

There is only one reason I don't like staying in Canada. I find it lonely and miserable. I am not talking about the women, but life in general. Even in Toronto where I have a condo the streets are empty and people are unapproachable. I find it utterly depressing. That being said, just about everything else is better in Canada... from healthcare to food. It just can't compare. I also find Canada cheaper.

In Thailand I have no housing costs as I live in my wife's house. That gives me a lot of disposable income to spend as I wish, mostly on (rather affordable) 4-5 star hotels and resorts. I love the fact I can live in Bangkok and pay $5 bus fare to go to a beach resort. I can take a plane to another country like Malaysia for $50. I can wear the crappiest clothes because it is always hot and don't feel bad. I can take a 12 hour overnight train and visit my wife's village, take her father's motorbike (no license) and just drive around the country. Nobody cares. It's the freedom of no rules and regulations that hasn't been "available" in Canada for a long time. This all comes at a cost if something bad happens, but nevertheless it is nice to sometimes experience true freedom.

I have always been realistic about my move. I have read literature and forums for years before I moved. I made sure I married a girl from a good family and not some money grabbing bar girl that so many Westerners seem to be stuck with (I dated a Thai woman in Canada before I moved, so I knew what to expect).

I was 100% prepared. To be honest not 100% prepared financially. I am not poor, I have my place paid off, so I can always come back, but money can become a real issue in Thailand as there are no safety nets like in Canada.

However, I don't see myself moving back any time soon as my wife doesn't like Canada and she will never get a good job like she has in Bangkok. No chance of ever that happening.

This is my 100% honest reply.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
@BiegeToyota post 175

Thank you so much for the interesting detailed reply & why you made the choice to live where you live

what are your total year over year costs living where you do, include all travel excursion costs in/out of Thailand, including the average yearly cost back & forth to Canada as they apply, all living expenses, and of course the entertainment costs included etc?

live & learn once again

Thanks
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 8:40 am
@BiegeToyota post 175

Thank you so much for the interesting detailed reply & why you made the choice to live where you live

what are your total year over year costs living where you do, include all travel excursion costs in/out of Thailand, including the average yearly cost back & forth to Canada as they apply, all living expenses, and of course the entertainment costs included etc?

live & learn once again

Thanks
Hmmm..... I go back to Canada once a year. I use the cheapest carrier China Eastern which is on average $1000 return.

My monthly expenses including Western food which is 4 times higher than Thai food is just under 30,000 baht ($1,200 a month) a month. This includes 2 weekends a month in resorts (around $100 a night, so $400 total), 4 times a week for 2 hour foot massages ($20 for 2 hours including tip, so $80 total a month) . Restaurants which I go to almost every day (this can vary from $4 to $20 per person). I never eat in outside markets unless I have to. These meals can be had for as low as $1.

Bear in mind that I don't have housing costs which is a significant amount money saved every month. I also don't drink alcohol which in Thailand can be also expensive. These costs also don't include any dental or healthcare costs. This would be impossible to predict due to nature of healthcare there. Just for the reference, I cracked my head open once and paid around $350 for MRI head scan. Stitching was cheap at around $30-40. This was in a private hospital where you don't have to wait and die until someone sees you. on the other hand if you get a heart attack or cancer this will cost you good coin, in the $100,000's of dollars. It is far from being affordable and cheap.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota @ post 177

round numbers your costs all-in average including back & forth to Canada are approx $18,000Cdn/yr or $1500/mth, not including the cost of upkeep of the Canadian property?

so lets ballpark all out of pocket every penny $24,000/yr for a back & forth lifestyle + any extra for medical costs, factor in/budget an additional $1200/yr or $100 mth
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 9:13 am
BiegeToyota @ post 177

round numbers your costs all-in average including back & forth to Canada are approx $18,000Cdn/yr or $1500/mth, not including the cost of upkeep of the Canadian property?

so lets ballpark all out of pocket every penny $24,000/yr for a back & forth lifestyle + any extra for medical costs, factor in/budget an additional $1200/yr or $100 mth
I have no costs with my Canadian property as it is rented out.

I would not factor medical costs like this. As I said it is impossible. It may cost you 0 a year or it may cost you $200,000 a year. I also have insurance through my wife's work, so every doctor visit is free, but if I need to be hospitalized (and in a tropical country this is quite common - dengue fever, food poisoning, etc...) it will be $200 a day - not including any extra tests, surgeries, meds and whatnot.

You can't ballpark anything in Thailand. The best I can do is how much I spend now.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:14 am
I have no costs with my Canadian property as it is rented out.

I would not factor medical costs like this. As I said it is impossible. It may cost you 0 a year or it may cost you $200,000 a year. I also have insurance through my wife's work, so every doctor visit is free, but if I need to be hospitalized (and in a tropical country this is quite common - dengue fever, food poisoning, etc...) it will be $200 a day - not including any extra tests, surgeries, meds and whatnot.

You can't ballpark anything in Thailand. The best I can do is how much I spend now.
thanks again

for those considering a back & forth between two countries, further questions if you don't mind?

when you come to Canada how long do you stay & what if any costs do you incur?

on ballpark, I fully understood, but like everything else in life it takes money as well as trying to budget for the 'what-if' especially ones health, do you simply say 'I'll deal with it as it happens'?

lets suppose that you get hospitalized, the costs start running at minimum $200/day +++ any medical tests or whatever else. Suppose that you need life saving surgery ... do you just chuck in the towel & say 'let me die', or do you have a back-up financial or expatriation plan?

is it worth buying medical insurance while in Thailand & what would be the cost for a person your age & medical condition?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 10:48 am
thanks again

for those considering a back & forth between two countries, further questions if you don't mind?

when you come to Canada how long do you stay & what if any costs do you incur?

on ballpark, I fully understood, but like everything else in life it takes money as well as trying to budget for the 'what-if' especially ones health, do you simply say 'I'll deal with it as it happens'?

lets suppose that you get hospitalized, the costs start running at minimum $200/day +++ any medical tests or whatever else. Suppose that you need life saving surgery ... do you just chuck in the towel & say 'let me die', or do you have a back-up financial or expatriation plan?

is it worth buying medical insurance while in Thailand & what would be the cost for a person your age & medical condition?

I usually stay in my condo if empty or my mom's. The food in Canada doesn't cost much, so $600 a month? Plus condo fees ($400 if not rented out)

In case I need a lifesaving surgery I would probably pay out of my own pocket and hopefully some of that would get reimbursed by wife's insurance company, but it wouldn't be a lot, If I got diagnosed with cancer I would definitely go back to Canada.

Insurance for expats is crap. Cancer treatments are rarely covered, bike accidents very rarely and everything else you pray it is. The average expat insurance for my age would be around $4,000 Canadian a year. This would be a pretty good insurance (except the cancer part and pre existing conditions) and most things would be covered. The thing is, in the past 4 years I never paid more than $1000 for a total medical care in Thailand, so my wife's insurance was adequate. When it gets tricky is when you turn 60. No expat insurance will want to insure you, so you are on your own.

In Thailand everyone deals with things "when they happen", so in essence you gotta go with the flow. Remember, even if you get excellent top tier medical insurance and you get a crap doctor who got the position thanks to daddy's money (and there are many in Thailand) no insurance in the world will help you, There is no accountability. If they mess up your surgery, for example, good luck suing them or fixing it free of charge.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
@BiegeToyota post 181 ... thanks for your feedback & replies.

so basically from your OP, third world country life has its risks & rewards even with a local partner/friend?

why did you choose Thailand of all places, was it simply your girlfriend/wife, plus the fact you can live there for free with her side of the wealthy Thai family?
BiegeToyota wrote:
Sep 6th, 2018 7:58 pm
Just curious as over the years I have seen a few posts from people who do.

I am of an opinion that it's a huge mistake and you should only do it if you are bored and extremely wealthy. I will lay out my reasons if the discussion develops, but would like to hear from RFD posters first.
I have always been realistic about my move. I have read literature and forums for years before I moved. I made sure I married a girl from a good family and not some money grabbing bar girl that so many Westerners seem to be stuck with (I dated a Thai woman in Canada before I moved, so I knew what to expect).