Personal Finance

Are you considering a retirement in a third world country?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:20 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
brunes wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:20 am
So, here is a perfect example of what I am talking about RE "why would you retire in a third world country, just move somewhere lower cost in Canada" - plots of land in NB for $1. Cost to build is probably around $150K property taxes next to nothing.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada ... 8.amp.html

McAdam is about 1 hour from several cities both in Canada and the US, which have direct cheap flights to Toronto and Boston. You could fly back and forth to Toronto every weekend with what is being saved on housing.

Why on earth anyone would think about retiring in a third world country with all the risk, stress, and issues that would entail is beyond me.
agree, third world country retirement is for the few

there must be other places in the snow belt of Canada that has low cost properties?

anyone on this, especially where there are $150k or less decent livable properties that can be found within safe communities with amenities that has less snow & cold than Southern Ontario or the Maritimes?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:20 am
So, here is a perfect example of what I am talking about RE "why would you retire in a third world country, just move somewhere lower cost in Canada" - plots of land in NB for $1. Cost to build is probably around $150K property taxes next to nothing.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada ... 8.amp.html

McAdam is about 1 hour from several cities both in Canada and the US, which have direct cheap flights to Toronto and Boston. You could fly back and forth to Toronto every weekend with what is being saved on housing.

Why on earth anyone would think about retiring in a third world country with all the risk, stress, and issues that would entail is beyond me.
No.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 9:07 am
No.

no to rural snow belt Canada because you are already going back & forth to a third world country with all the comforts of two homes married to a third world country person ... better than sliced bread

it's not everyone's cup of tea - different strokes for different folks

in your case BiegeToyota do you think that you will still be doing the back & forth 20 years from now when you are in your 60's approaching your 70's, or haven't you considered that in your long term retirement plan?
Jan 14, 2013
32 posts
17 upvotes
Kitchener
porticoman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 8:46 am

anyone on this, especially where there are $150k or less decent livable properties that can be found within safe communities with amenities that has less snow & cold than Southern Ontario or the Maritimes?
This place does not exist in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
FiftyYardFistFight wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 9:26 am
This place does not exist in Canada.
a few choices

a) that why we live were we live, close with family, friends & familiar surroundings

b) so it's stay put, be happy, have all the comfort & security of this great Country that we live in, +1

c) or be the totally irresponsible person that thinks third world country living is better than living in Canada, even if its 3 mths a year outside of Canada just for sun & sand, what you may get infected with, robbed or murdered
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2364 posts
1811 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 9:20 am
no to rural snow belt Canada because you are already going back & forth to a third world country with all the comforts of two homes married to a third world country person ... better than sliced bread

it's not everyone's cup of tea - different strokes for different folks

in your case BiegeToyota do you think that you will still be doing the back & forth 20 years from now when you are in your 60's approaching your 70's, or haven't you considered that in your long term retirement plan?
No because people don't realize how depressing living in such a place is. I googled and there isn't even Tim Hortons. I can understand the appeal of small town like portrayed in Twin Peaks, but this place is a lot worse than that.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 9:36 am
No because people don't realize how depressing living in such a place is. I googled and there isn't even Tim Hortons. I can understand the appeal of small town like portrayed in Twin Peaks, but this place is a lot worse than that.
Twin Peaks (North Bend, Washington, USA), Anne of Green Gables (Cavendish PEI) or Haven (Lunenburg/Chester, Nova Scotia) all look like great places to live

if it has to be somewhere in the Maritimes, PEI, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, based just on price it would be Moncton or Fredericton

Houses in Moncton can be found for ~$50k, a better one for less than $100k. Moncton has more than one Tim's (18 in total), a couple hosptial's & everything that you'd ever want .... on the cheap

sample

less than $50k

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For ... 21050.html

what about a multi-family property for $50k, live in one, rent out the other one

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Multi-Fa ... 01189.html
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1026 posts
355 upvotes
Just north.
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 9:36 am
I live and work in a small town of 2000, and it's depressing AF, with no movie theater or a SINGLE restaurant. Money is good, and that's the only reason I'm here.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
3870 posts
1644 upvotes
porticoman wrote:
Nov 24th, 2018 3:41 pm
Twin Peaks (North Bend, Washington, USA), Anne of Green Gables (Cavendish PEI) or Haven (Lunenburg/Chester, Nova Scotia) all look like great places to live

if it has to be somewhere in the Maritimes, PEI, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, based just on price it would be Moncton or Fredericton

Houses in Moncton can be found for ~$50k, a better one for less than $100k. Moncton has more than one Tim's (18 in total), a couple hosptial's & everything that you'd ever want .... on the cheap

sample

less than $50k

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Home-For ... 21050.html

what about a multi-family property for $50k, live in one, rent out the other one

https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Multi-Fa ... 01189.html
You guys advocating living in small towns, have you ever lived in one?

I don't think you understand the appeal of living abroad in a "3rd world" country. You get all the benefits of a big city life at the cost of small town prices
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1026 posts
355 upvotes
Just north.
mech9t5 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 8:03 am
You guys advocating living in small towns, have you ever lived in one?

I don't think you understand the appeal of living abroad in a "3rd world" country. You get all the benefits of a big city life at the cost of small town prices
Pick your poison:

1) Live in a Canadian small town in the middle of nowhere where housing is ridiculously cheap, and living expense is somewhat cheaper, but with none of the amenities of a big city.

2) Live in a developing country (SE Asia, South America, etc), where both housing and living expense are much cheaper than Canada, and you have the amenities of a big city.

I lived both in a town of 2000 and a city of 7 millions, the difference is night and day.

As my friend likes to say, you only like living in a small town in the middle of nowhere until you need to go to a hospital.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1418 posts
264 upvotes
Montreal
guyver0 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 2:28 pm

As my friend likes to say, you only like living in a small town in the middle of nowhere until you need to go to a hospital.
Or until you need human contact.
Apr 2, 2016
323 posts
149 upvotes
My small town has a hospital, a movie theatre, a few pubs, many big city restaurants, a golf course, a hockey rink. You don't have to live in a town where no amenities are available.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2009
1026 posts
355 upvotes
Just north.
BrianWS6 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 5:35 pm
My small town has a hospital, a movie theatre, a few pubs, many big city restaurants, a golf course, a hockey rink. You don't have to live in a town where no amenities are available.
For sure, but godforbid if you have a heart attack or need an organ transplant, you'd have to be medivac out.

Where I am right now, sometimes the medivac can't even come in due to weather, so the patient has to wait until either the weather clears up, or he dies. Srs.
Aug 24, 2018
147 posts
94 upvotes
guyver0 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 2:28 pm

When you hit 70 you or your spouse might be hitting the hospital on average of at least once a year.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1791 posts
649 upvotes
GTA
otismod wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 6:55 pm
When you hit 70 you or your spouse might be hitting the hospital on average of at least once a year.
+1 or at an earlier age

a smallish town in Canada without a strip mall/plaza, medical centre/hospital or a Tim's is not a place to live.

forget a third world country, it doesn't even cater or meet the basic needs/necessities when it comes to a Canadian senior visiting or staying for long periods ... just don't go there, stay home & if it's the US, make sure that you have some sort of travel insurance (if you can qualify for it) or a zillion dollars, just in case.

'what you know', 'what you are familiar with' is where you should live, anything else would be like going into a war zone