Personal Finance

Are you considering a retirement in a third world country?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:20 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5307 posts
2126 upvotes
What a sad commentary that more than one person has mentioned a Tim Horton's as a need for a place to live. :facepalm:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2362 posts
1809 upvotes
Conquistador wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 11:26 pm
What a sad commentary that more than one person has mentioned a Tim Horton's as a need for a place to live. :facepalm:
I didn't mention Tim Hortons as a must for a place to live. I just gave an example that there is nothing around. Nothing, Not even Canada's most popular donut shop.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2017
1788 posts
642 upvotes
GTA
BiegeToyota wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 10:58 am
I didn't mention Tim Hortons as a must for a place to live. I just gave an example that there is nothing around. Nothing, Not even Canada's most popular donut shop.
that was me because old folks & millennials cannot survive without a tim's, millennials always do the drive through, old folks waste too much time idling to the point some fall asleep

tims is the modern day non-alcholic 'cheers' of coffee shop, similar to the 1950's 'milk Bar', a gathering place, next to 'mall walking'
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6757 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
Moncton isn't a small town at 70k population.. I doubt I'd want to live there as a visible minority though.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
3869 posts
1644 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 12:04 pm
Moncton isn't a small town at 70k population.. I doubt I'd want to live there as a visible minority though.
I lived in Sudbury and thought it was too small for me. Couldn't get out fast enough.

Having said that, I also lived in Truro area of Nova Scotia. I would choose Sudbury over Truro anyway
Jan 17, 2018
149 posts
82 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 12:04 pm
I think this is relative. It is a small city to me. All of NB is "small town" to me.

I grew up in Toronto, which is Canada's biggest city. I spent the last 20 years living in Asia in cities that have more than 10 million people.

It is really weird to go from that to a town where you can drive through it in 5 minutes or so.

Also to the guy living in Bangkok. They have awesome hospitals with foreign doctors. Thing is you need cash or foreign insurance. My insurance pays for me to go to those hospitals. I haven't but many of my colleagues pick Bangkok for their in patient stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8861 posts
860 upvotes
Handcake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:43 pm
I think this is relative. It is a small city to me. All of NB is "small town" to me.

I grew up in Toronto, which is Canada's biggest city. I spent the last 20 years living in Asia in cities that have more than 10 million people.

It is really weird to go from that to a town where you can drive through it in 5 minutes or so.

Also to the guy living in Bangkok. They have awesome hospitals with foreign doctors. Thing is you need cash or foreign insurance. My insurance pays for me to go to those hospitals. I haven't but many of my colleagues pick Bangkok for their in patient stuff.
Even Halifax is too small for me. But really, it's mainly the lack of ethnic foods that is the drawback. Hopefully in 20+ years, it will get better and more diverse with variety.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 13, 2016
2362 posts
1809 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 9:02 am
Even Halifax is too small for me. But really, it's mainly the lack of ethnic foods that is the drawback. Hopefully in 20+ years, it will get better and more diverse with variety.
What's your lifespan like?