• Nov 19th, 2018 11:05 pm
Tags:
57 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15835 posts
2122 upvotes
Toronto
I've lived this long without getting one. I think I'll be okay.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11977 posts
1744 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Yes. The sooner, the better.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9759 posts
1424 upvotes
Don't worry about the ingredients, focus on the 'Who should avoid flu shots?' section in your article, or check with your family doctor/pharmacist. It is not just about protecting you, it helps to protect the community especially those who can't take the vaccine.
Catnippy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:47 pm
Half of my friends say Yes and the other say No Ways! Are you going to get one? Apparently some weird ingredients could have bad side effects?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207.php
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
3043 posts
2561 upvotes
Vancouver
I'll get it if it's convenient. I won't go out of my way for it. I think I've had it three times in the last ten years.

The flu shot isn't like vaccines against measles or rubella. It's a crap shoot—it's formulated based on what strains are expected to be circulating months and months down the road. Sometimes they get it right and the vaccine is more or less effective. Sometimes they get it wrong and the vaccine does nothing.

I had the worse flu of my life in 2014, I missed 6 weeks of work. It was absolutely awful. And that was one of the years I actually got the flu shot.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?
Apr 19, 2017
63 posts
30 upvotes
Every time I got it, I got sick,
When I stopped, I stopped getting sick.
Explain...
Oct 12, 2010
53 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
sandeep8g wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:31 pm
Explain...

Every time i buy stock, it goes down. Every time i sell, it goes up.
Explain...
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5164 posts
498 upvotes
sandeep8g wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:31 pm
Explain...
Sick is pretty vague. If you got a vaccine against influenza, and were then exposed to metapneumo virus or parainfluenza, you'd get sick.

If you didn't get an influenza vaccine and were then never exposed to a respiratory virus, you woudn't get sick.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7638 posts
2026 upvotes
Toronto
nope. i haven't gotten a flu shot in well over a decade and in all that time i haven't gotten the flu.
i'm sticking with what works for me, including taking vitamin d over the winter months.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7638 posts
2026 upvotes
Toronto
ricerocket123 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 3:06 pm
Every time i buy stock, it goes down. Every time i sell, it goes up.
Explain...
stocks may not be your thing. have you tried looking into bonds, gics, etc?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10920 posts
5094 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I don't get them, it's not the ingredients, I want one less thing artificially stimulating my immune system every single year over a lifetime. It's a choice I'm allowed to make, challenging my altruism or not.
I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, make that decision based on your own beliefs.
Mar 4, 2008
337 posts
40 upvotes
BC
No, never have. Eat healthy, be active & washing hands a lot.

Started to incorporate locally grown onions and garlic into the diet and think that has helped a lot. Also taking the Vitamin C packets (from Costco) a few times a week has helped.
Oct 23, 2017
481 posts
239 upvotes
GTA West
Catnippy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:47 pm
Half of my friends say Yes and the other say No Ways! Are you going to get one? Apparently some weird ingredients could have bad side effects?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207.php
I always get a flue shot especially since I have passed 65. I am going by science and statistics, not anecdotes. I have also had shots for pneumonia and shingles.

These days there is no longer a collective memory of the terrible infectious diseases that used to ravage populations, and which have been brought under control and nearly eliminated by the science of vaccinations. So people have become too complacent.

I love onions and garlic too but I don't eat them to prevent flue.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10920 posts
5094 upvotes
Southern Ontario
The vaccine this year is composed of 4 or 3 variants, which one you get depending on the age of recipient and perhaps other eligibility requirements. Last year the effectiveness was fairly low as the virulent strains were not the ones in the given vaccine.

It typically takes 2 weeks to mount an antibody response so if you get a cold or flu before then, you’re unprotected. Or if you are immunocompromised, it’s possible you may not react to the vaccine at all so the shot has done nothing. We call these people non-responders regardless of vaccine administered.