Are you getting a flu shot?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2018 1:53 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1322 posts
582 upvotes
I never used to get the shot until we had kids. They are considered a high risk group at young ages, and they bring home everything once in school. Also, not that my parents Re older and one is in a home, I will do it too. Last year, we didn’t but had planned to, this year will we because we have higher risk people in my family.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4732 posts
1156 upvotes
Alberta
I got one today at SDM. I was the only one there at the time, took a whole 5 mins.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1580 posts
506 upvotes
GTA
Havent had 1 in the past 5-7 years. Not about to start.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2536 posts
1133 upvotes
Burlington
Not going to contribute to regressive Darwinism. If my body isn't strong enough to handle the flu then it's my time to go.
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
Absolutely. Herd immunity to protect those who are too weak to get the vaccine. (babies, elderly, ill, etc).
Oct 3, 2013
289 posts
187 upvotes
… It amazes me to see the health literacy of the general population.

No wonder the flu kills & affects so many people each year.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5857 posts
341 upvotes
BC
Got it last week. I had the flu once... it lasted 21 days, I'll now do whatever I can to protect myself from being that sick again.

And no, the shot does not guarantee you will not get the flu, there are many different strains, the shot usually helps against the worst ones.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
Didn't Stephen Hawking himself say that humans messing w/ vaccines is one of the potential human extinction events? It's amazing how ppl blindly just do as they are told.

I don't like the idea of injecting foreign stuff into my healthy body. If I could survive in one of the most densely populated places on Earth (read: HK) w/o a vaccine, I think I'd be fine. I could understand having to take a shot if around children and elderly, though.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3141 posts
347 upvotes
Absolutely no ! I work in high risk industry and only had the flu once in 15 years .
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2536 posts
1133 upvotes
Burlington
Phonophoresis wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 1:46 pm
… It amazes me to see the health literacy of the general population.

No wonder the flu kills & affects so many people each year.
You're saying the population growth is sustainable?
Oct 3, 2013
289 posts
187 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:00 am
You're saying the population growth is sustainable?
You're saying the flu is how we should control our population?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9760 posts
1424 upvotes
That is not when Hawking said, what he did said is "messing w/ AI is one of the potential human extinction events". Speaking of HK, would it be great if vaccine was available when H5N1 hit.
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 10:01 pm
Didn't Stephen Hawking himself say that humans messing w/ vaccines is one of the potential human extinction events? It's amazing how ppl blindly just do as they are told.

I don't like the idea of injecting foreign stuff into my healthy body. If I could survive in one of the most densely populated places on Earth (read: HK) w/o a vaccine, I think I'd be fine. I could understand having to take a shot if around children and elderly, though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
82 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 8:04 pm
That is not when Hawking said, what he did said is "messing w/ AI is one of the potential human extinction events". Speaking of HK, would it be great if vaccine was available when H5N1 hit.
He said there were 7 main events to worry about, including messing w vaccines.

Anyway, H5N1 isn't the reg flu. Why not bring in SARS while you're at it?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9760 posts
1424 upvotes
What is a "reg" flu? Although Stephen Hawking never say it in public but I doubt he has any problem with flu shot (or any vaccine in the schedule), his concern is about genetic modified virus. And Hawking is a theoretical physicist, not a doctor nor pathologist.

As AncasterRFD points out, H1N1 has been included in past many years, this alone is a well justified reason to take the shot.
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:06 pm
He said there were 7 main events to worry about, including messing w vaccines.

Anyway, H5N1 isn't the reg flu. not bring in SARS while you're at it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)