Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9636 posts
1724 upvotes
Montréal
82 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 12:16 am
What is a "reg" flu? Although Stephen Hawking never say it in public but I doubt he has any problem with flu shot (or any vaccine in the schedule), his concern is about genetic modified virus. And Hawking is a theoretical physicist, not a doctor nor pathologist.

As AncasterRFD points out, H1N1 has been included in past many years, this alone is a well justified reason to take the shot.
That's what Hawking said, man is playing w fire messing around w vaccines, what do you think we're doing here?

We're talking about reg flus, not special cases...And are you now talking about H5 or H1? This is going beyond the OP. Anyway, you can keep getting injected if you want.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17904 posts
2588 upvotes
GTA West
I was one of those guys who avoided the flu shot becuase I thought it was better to let nature and my body develop immunities.
Then last Season, I got the quadrivalent flu shot at a travel clinic, because it was a 'special' non-free flu shot that has more protections than the normal one you get here in Canada. (I was getting other travel vaccinations and they offered the quadrivalent flu shot. What's $30 when I was already spending ~$900?)

Shortly thereafter, a number of family members got extremely and violently sick with the flu, for 2-3 weeks continuously. I was 100% fine and never got sick.
Yes, I believe in the flu shot!
Last edited by Jucius Maximus on Oct 30th, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Jul 26, 2018
113 posts
81 upvotes
Canada, eh?
I travel way too much (multiple times weekly) and we all know that flights are filthy as hell. Think I'll be getting it just in case. Would suck big time to get sick while away.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2382 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they'd spend more effort in developing a vaccine for the common cold instead
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7738 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 9:42 pm
I travel way too much (multiple times weekly) and we all know that flights are filthy as hell. Think I'll be getting it just in case. Would suck big time to get sick while away.
Even if you take public transit it's a good idea.
People have no qualms about coughing and sneezing in your face without the slightest attempt to /shieldcover their mouths or noses.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2671 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, I will.
There are many people with weak immune system (elderly, infants, immuno-compromised). Good to have a herd immunity.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10921 posts
5094 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ak-47 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 11:17 pm
I wish they'd spend more effort in developing a vaccine for the common cold instead
There are more than 200 viruses that cause the common cold. There are far less flu viruses but it is more deadly with more intense symptoms.
Imagine instead of 3 or 4 flu variants you need to develop an antibody response to versus being injected with over 100 inert common cold viruses to make it even worth it. If you thought 10% effectiveness against dominant A strain influenza was bad last year, a common cold vaccine would be practically pointless.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6241 posts
1390 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 9:37 am
Not going to contribute to regressive Darwinism. If my body isn't strong enough to handle the flu then it's my time to go.
Does this mean you won't go to the hospital if you get a bad case of the flu?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2536 posts
1132 upvotes
Burlington
peanutz wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 12:31 am
Does this mean you won't go to the hospital if you get a bad case of the flu?
I'll walk it off like a champ.
Mar 30, 2010
196 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
Of course, in my opinion, it's the height of selfishness if you could get one but choose not to. It's to protect the immune-compromised who can't get shots themselves.
Jan 18, 2017
340 posts
104 upvotes
Just signed up for the clinic at work, it's nice that they make it this convenient.

Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2693 posts
1359 upvotes
Canadia
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:48 pm
I've lived this long without getting one. I think I'll be okay.
You may be infectious for days before you realize that you have influenza. That means you could unknowingly infect kids, seniors and anyone else in your family with a suppressed immune system.

Side note: I suffered through three weeks of the flu a couple of years ago. It was absolutely brutal. Why anyone would voluntarily do that to themselves is beyond me.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12440 posts
1239 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up some bug about a month ago which gave me Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Sinusitis, and Strep. Having gone through 3 types of Antibiotics to get rid of everything and have lost several lbs from all of this. Prior to this, I was quite healthy and if I got a cold, I would bounce back in a few days. I am in my 40's if that matters.

The Doctors said that there is a complex bug going about this year that starts as a flu and nosedives very quickly into Pneumonia. He suggested that once I am well to take the flu shot and also suggests to all his patients to get one.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16116 posts
12813 upvotes
Toronto
needle for me too. a girl I knew from school died of Influenza A + Group A Strep at just age 43 two years back.

Also with me having two older parents I don't want to risk getting them sick
An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1687 posts
262 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
got mine at wallmart last week, pretty great experience FWT!
Hi