• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 8:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12009 posts
1763 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Public funding for flu vaccination by province: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... itory.html

BC, Quebec, and New Brunswick r the only provinces where universal vaccination is NOT funded.
In BC, most ppl have to pay health care premiums. Something wrong with that, IMO.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29668 posts
4507 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I’ve had one shot in the last 20 years. But I got the flu last year and I was down for the count for 6 weeks. It was brutal.

@kevcnew Rick Mercer convinced me.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12009 posts
1763 upvotes
City of Vancouver
When I went to Pharmasave to get the flu shot, they couldn't and recommended that I set up an appointment. Apparently, like other pharmacies, they want two pharmacists on shift when giving out flu shots.
Last edited by Becks on Nov 1st, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6318 posts
1452 upvotes
Not all pharmacists are authorized/trained to administer vaccines; some places may want you to set up an appointment when someone who is authorized is scheduled.

I've given many vaccinations when working alone, dependent on the place not being crazy busy.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5267 posts
541 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 1:39 pm
When I went to Pharmasave to get the flu shot, they couldn't and recommended thatI set up at appointment. Apparently, like other pharmacies, they want two pharmacists on shift when giving out flu shots.
As a customer, I prefer they do this. One pharmacist filling prescriptions and giving vaccines isn't good for customer service and imo is tough on the advice employee.
Sep 30, 2001
27278 posts
6278 upvotes
Toronto
Got mine yesterday though it was a bit of a wait
Don't talk about it, be about it
Dec 4, 2016
905 posts
336 upvotes
I definitely plan to. I see this as a civic duty, as it protects not just me but those around me.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1064 posts
813 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yup. Got my first one ever a few weeks ago at a Shoppers Drug Mart. It was so convenient and simple. Now, not only am I protected, but I'm also helping to protect more vulnerable members of society. Feels really good.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18116 posts
2803 upvotes
GTA West
Gee wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 4:30 pm
I’ve had one shot in the last 20 years. But I got the flu last year and I was down for the count for 6 weeks. It was brutal.

@kevcnew Rick Mercer convinced me.
You should renew your Tetanus and Hepatitis A/B vaccinations every 10 years.
Seriously, these diseases are no joke. Get vaccinated!
Kelly M wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:12 pm
Yup. Got my first one ever a few weeks ago at a Shoppers Drug Mart. It was so convenient and simple. Now, not only am I protected, but I'm also helping to protect more vulnerable members of society. Feels really good.
I have to say, I got my flu shot this year at a Loblaws store. It was quick and simple. But DAMN, that pharmacist stabbed the needle into me like I was her cheating ex-boyfriend or something! My arm was sore for almost a week! Face Screaming In Fear
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12009 posts
1763 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Heard a radio advertisement for getting flu shots at Walmart. They said no appointment necessary.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jan 16, 2007
932 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
As a true RFDer, I love freebies. Got it done at SDM.
May 28, 2012
9971 posts
2111 upvotes
Saskatoon
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:29 pm
I have to say, I got my flu shot this year at a Loblaws store. It was quick and simple. But DAMN, that pharmacist stabbed the needle into me like I was her cheating ex-boyfriend or something! My arm was sore for almost a week! Face Screaming In Fear
After reading about your experience, I'm glad I always get mine during the mass flu clinic put on by public health...those nurses know how to give a needle. haha
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4002 posts
856 upvotes
Sask.
I got mine last week from a home care nurse, who also works in public health. Didn't feel a thing.
Husband got his done by his doctor. Our son will probably get his done at a pharmacy.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11145 posts
5299 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It's technique, sharper brands of needles are actually better, rub the skin hard with the swab in a non-centric motion to sterilize and desensitize the area, pull the skin to distract from the target, also distract the person by getting them to talk or think about something else, snap it in like a dart. The faster the needle goes in, the less bruising inside. Emla cream 15min beforehand can numb the area but you'll have to buy/do that yourself.

There's 2 kinds of possible pain here, they are different. From the needle, and from the constituents/bruising afterward.

Remember it takes 2 weeks for it to work.
Jun 19, 2018
20 posts
1 upvote
I haven't been sick since 2015 and I haven't gotten the flu shot for any of those years. I am on the fence about it. My husband and his familiy do not get it and they hardly get sick. My family gets the shot and again, they hardly get sick so who knows really! Its super tough and each year, there are new strains. Who's to know if you are protected or not.