• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 8:01 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1235 posts
190 upvotes
Kitchener
I get it every year. As a type 1 diabetic needles do not bother me at all.
Have never gotten the flu. I know lots of friends that would do anything to feel better when they are down and out for weeks with the flu, I laugh at them and say they should of gotten the flu shot like I said they should! You can get some serious organ damage from being sick with the flu [fever is never a good thing]. There is a reason people die from it every year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
9543 posts
3510 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hightech wrote:
Oct 30th, 2018 10:10 am
I picked up some bug about a month ago which gave me Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Sinusitis, and Strep. Having gone through 3 types of Antibiotics to get rid of everything and have lost several lbs from all of this. Prior to this, I was quite healthy and if I got a cold, I would bounce back in a few days. I am in my 40's if that matters.

The Doctors said that there is a complex bug going about this year that starts as a flu and nosedives very quickly into Pneumonia. He suggested that once I am well to take the flu shot and also suggests to all his patients to get one.
In my experience, anytime you get bronchitis, not to mention pneumonia, it takes a long time to heal properly and you'll be more susceptible to colds and minor ailments developing back into bronchitis until all of that damage heals. To make things worse, if you get a repeat of bronchitis, all of that time healing from the previous case is wasted as you need to start all over again. I've found that you need at least a year or two of good health (ie no bronchitis) before your immune system works as well as it did before your first bout.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2007
3640 posts
752 upvotes
Burnaby
I get the flu shot yearly. Also had the Pneumo 23 shot this year on the advice of one of my surgeons.

I'm considered immunocompromised from having had cancer previously and 11 major surgeries (3 since May this year!!!)

Had it done at the public health unit, zero cost or fees. SDM wanted to charge me for both ($200+), so my GP sent in a referral to the local clinic

I had a horrible flu in 2014 that knocked me out for over a month and recently had pneumonia in Aug this year (post surgical complication). I'm not a huge pro vaxxer, but having had serious illness...i want to avoid. Dont want my kiddo getting sick either.
Jun 14, 2017
507 posts
389 upvotes
jacksorbetta wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 1:17 am
I get the flu shot yearly. Also had the Pneumo 23 shot this year on the advice of one of my surgeons.

I'm considered immunocompromised from having had cancer previously and 11 major surgeries (3 since May this year!!!)

Had it done at the public health unit, zero cost or fees. SDM wanted to charge me for both ($200+), so my GP sent in a referral to the local clinic

I had a horrible flu in 2014 that knocked me out for over a month and recently had pneumonia in Aug this year (post surgical complication). I'm not a huge pro vaxxer, but having had serious illness...i want to avoid. Dont want my kiddo getting sick either.
Holy crap! sounds like you've gone through alot man! All the best to you.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
575 posts
126 upvotes
Scarborough
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:29 pm
. But DAMN, that pharmacist stabbed the needle into me like I was her cheating ex-boyfriend or something! My arm was sore for almost a week! Face Screaming In Fear
The same thing happened to me last year - the pharmacist at SDM stabbed me with the needle at almost 90 degrees and my arm was numb for 2 weeks. This year I went to my doctor and didn't feel a thing!
Oct 15, 2017
212 posts
101 upvotes
Canada
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:29 pm
I have to say, I got my flu shot this year at a Loblaws store. It was quick and simple. But DAMN, that pharmacist stabbed the needle into me like I was her cheating ex-boyfriend or something! My arm was sore for almost a week! Face Screaming In Fear
Haha, too funny.

The best is when they ask you about some random topic and while you're thinking about how to answer they get you. Don't feel a thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7019 posts
814 upvotes
Alberta
To date, four people have died in Calgary and from Norther Alberta from the flu...Type A strain I think. All were NOT immunized. Over 300 in the Calgary area have been confirmed with the flu....all quite recently to my understanding.

Got my flu shot a week after it become available in mid October. Have been getting the shot yearly for 10+ years. The one year that I didn't get it, I got really sick multiple times that winter.

Dave
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2010
2005 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. Got it 3 weeks ago.

Speaking of flu shots, is it just me or are shots almost fully painless now? Is it the type of shots they use or does come down to the experience of the one doing the shot? I can almost say I felt nothing when I got it.
My Signature is empty. My signature space is not for sale. You may not contact me to advertise your RFD-related activities here. I repeat, this signature-space is not for sale, unless it is a ......day
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6313 posts
1452 upvotes
Woodbridge905 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2018 3:06 pm
Yes. Got it 3 weeks ago.

Speaking of flu shots, is it just me or are shots almost fully painless now? Is it the type of shots they use or does come down to the experience of the one doing the shot? I can almost say I felt nothing when I got it.
The pre-filled syringes hurt less because the needle isn't dulled by having to be pushed through a rubber stopper vs. the ones that have to be filled from vials.

Technique may factor in as well...proper landmarking and dart-like motion. The thing about pharmacists trained to do vaccines is that there is a wide range between individuals of how comfortable they are doing it or whether they remember the training properly...they are the one health professional giving them now where the majority started out NOT giving them or being trained out of school (the graduates from within the last 5 years are trained from school now.) The necessary bridging program is a single half-day where there is one practice patient (another pharmacist) and then they are sent out into the world...I personally wouldn't feel comfortable receiving a vaccine from one unless I knew them and/or had witnessed them giving a vaccine and looking smooth with it.
Catnippy wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:02 am
The same thing happened to me last year - the pharmacist at SDM stabbed me with the needle at almost 90 degrees and my arm was numb for 2 weeks. This year I went to my doctor and didn't feel a thing!
This is a weird comment though... the deltoid IM needle is supposed to be at ~90 degrees to the plane of your arm.
Jul 4, 2005
169 posts
16 upvotes
Don’t be a wuss and just get a flu shot to protect others at least.
Dec 5, 2018
1 posts
Not really. They are not useless, but I can't remember when was the last time that I've got flu.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
4892 posts
938 upvotes
GTA
Does current flu shot already have the H1N1 coverage? or additional shot required?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
11144 posts
5299 upvotes
Southern Ontario
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:42 pm
Does current flu shot already have the H1N1 coverage? or additional shot required?
Post 28