• Jan 15th, 2019 9:10 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG

You are now able to tip your flight attendants

Frontier flight attendants will now accept tips. Although the company encourages it, their union disagrees and just wants a living wage. This is really getting out of hand.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... pting-tips
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
No thanks

Already cut back on restaurants because of how ridiculously overpriced it is now
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
Here's my tip to air waitresses: If you don't like what you do or what you're being paid, find a different airline to work for or a different vocation.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
So Airline company can pay or keep them at lower wage and slide the responsibility to the customer to tip them so the FA can making a living from their job?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10241 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: Here's my tip to air waitresses: If you don't like what you do or what you're being paid, find a different airline to work for or a different vocation.
Or if customers don't want to tip,they can fly another airline well or not at all

No different than not wanting to tip at restaurant, just don't eat out lots of choices for customers

Same for cruising and etc
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
The only word I have to say is no.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
MP3_SKY wrote: So Airline company can pay or keep them at lower wage and slide the responsibility to the customer to tip them so the FA can making a living from their job?
StatsGuy wrote: Or if customers don't want to tip,they can fly another airline well or not at all

No different than not wanting to tip at restaurant, just don't eat out lots of choices for customers

Can I ask what they make??

As I know servers make a rate thats less than minimum wage as they depend on tips.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10241 upvotes
lilmikey wrote: Can I ask what they make??

As I know servers make a rate thats less than minimum wage as they depend on tips.
Server min wage is a tad lower than other jobs but reality is, no server is going to work if they just make "min" wage. A good server much like a good employee in any other profession can make good money

Servers also typically need to tip out a portion of their sales to barback, kitchen and hostess
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Or if customers don't want to tip,they can fly another airline well or not at all

I've never flown Frontier and this kind of nonsense certainly doesn't entice me. As such, I already fly numerous other airlines where flight attendants aren't standing at the door with their hand out as I depart. IOW, your advice is pretty simple to follow yet pretty silly to start with.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10241 upvotes
Conquistador wrote: I've never flown Frontier and this kind of nonsense certainly doesn't entice me. As such, I already fly numerous other airlines where flight attendants aren't standing at the door with their hand out as I depart. IOW, your advice is pretty simple to follow yet pretty silly to start with.
Yup,isn't it great to have choice?

Clearly frontier is looking to offer lower base fares and have customers complement the pay of the FAs, I'm surprised it took so long as they're a LCC. Customers already have to pay to check in with a staff (vs online ), so seems like just moving to paying for FA on a pay per use basis. That's even better than a tip model imo
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
5000 posts
611 upvotes
Victoria
This is a bit too far especially if you get the flight crew that just sits around in the galley hiding out from passengers. Give me a break.
Not a political sig
Jan 8, 2012
887 posts
744 upvotes
Williams Lake
I don't particularly like the thought of tipping, or not tipping, someone who is in charge of my safety in case of emergency.

Or perhaps it would be better put as: "I don't like the thought of someone in charge of my safety in case of emergency being so low-paid as to require my tipping them to make ends meet."
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10241 upvotes
dealguy2 wrote: This is a bit too far especially if you get the flight crew that just sits around in the galley hiding out from passengers. Give me a break.
Then don't tip?

Besides it's a LCC, they serve you nothing and have no interaction with you unless you are ordering something which all costs money
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wudtsilake wrote: I don't particularly like the thought of tipping, or not tipping, someone who is in charge of my safety in case of emergency.

Or perhaps it would be better put as: "I don't like the thought of someone in charge of my safety in case of emergency being so low-paid as to require my tipping them to make ends meet."
This

Or worse yet have someone give preference to the person who tipped them well in an Emergency situation vs someone who did not

Just plain wrong thinking IMO on the part of Airline Mgmt

But then again the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer thanks to this now universal search for THE CHEAPEST mentality

Cheap is not always the best choice. Period

Have not flown Frontier... but they certainly now by this move have made me make sure they go onto my DO NOT FLY LIST
Nov 26, 2012
433 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
wudtsilake wrote: I don't particularly like the thought of tipping, or not tipping, someone who is in charge of my safety in case of emergency.

100% agree with this. if tipping is not banned by whatever agency that regulates this, it should be.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
I wonder if it'll eventually come to the female flight attendants at Frontier dressing provocatively to increase tips, just like bartenders. Wrong image to put on yourself Frontier.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Tipping FA’s is nothing new. When I was working as FA in the early/mid 2000s we were often tipped by business travellers / repeat passengers especially in J. I have personally handed a tip to cabin crew on European airlines on rare occasions in J when they go above and beyond.

In economy and especially on-board a flight like Frontier the tipping culture will never work. I doubt even meal service/drink service is standard these days on a Frontier flight. So exactly what are you tipping for?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
BrunetteGirl wrote: Tipping FA’s is nothing new. When I was working as FA in the early/mid 2000s we were often tipped by business travellers / repeat passengers especially in J. I have personally handed a tip to cabin crew on European airlines on rare occasions in J when they go above and beyond.

In economy and especially on-board a flight like Frontier the tipping culture will never work. I doubt even meal service/drink service is standard these days on a Frontier flight. So exactly what are you tipping for?
To support their wage so the airline doens't have to of course.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)