Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9919 posts
7206 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
wudtsilake wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:22 pm
I don't particularly like the thought of tipping, or not tipping, someone who is in charge of my safety in case of emergency.

Or perhaps it would be better put as: "I don't like the thought of someone in charge of my safety in case of emergency being so low-paid as to require my tipping them to make ends meet."
This

Or worse yet have someone give preference to the person who tipped them well in an Emergency situation vs someone who did not

Just plain wrong thinking IMO on the part of Airline Mgmt

But then again the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer thanks to this now universal search for THE CHEAPEST mentality

Cheap is not always the best choice. Period

Have not flown Frontier... but they certainly now by this move have made me make sure they go onto my DO NOT FLY LIST
Nov 26, 2012
122 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
wudtsilake wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:22 pm
I don't particularly like the thought of tipping, or not tipping, someone who is in charge of my safety in case of emergency.

Or perhaps it would be better put as: "I don't like the thought of someone in charge of my safety in case of emergency being so low-paid as to require my tipping them to make ends meet."
100% agree with this. if tipping is not banned by whatever agency that regulates this, it should be.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1793 posts
1118 upvotes
I wonder if it'll eventually come to the female flight attendants at Frontier dressing provocatively to increase tips, just like bartenders. Wrong image to put on yourself Frontier.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2244 posts
1362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Tipping FA’s is nothing new. When I was working as FA in the early/mid 2000s we were often tipped by business travellers / repeat passengers especially in J. I have personally handed a tip to cabin crew on European airlines on rare occasions in J when they go above and beyond.

In economy and especially on-board a flight like Frontier the tipping culture will never work. I doubt even meal service/drink service is standard these days on a Frontier flight. So exactly what are you tipping for?
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3302 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 8:10 am
Tipping FA’s is nothing new. When I was working as FA in the early/mid 2000s we were often tipped by business travellers / repeat passengers especially in J. I have personally handed a tip to cabin crew on European airlines on rare occasions in J when they go above and beyond.

In economy and especially on-board a flight like Frontier the tipping culture will never work. I doubt even meal service/drink service is standard these days on a Frontier flight. So exactly what are you tipping for?
To support their wage so the airline doens't have to of course.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:47 pm
Or worse yet have someone give preference to the person who tipped them well in an Emergency situation vs someone who did not
What's worse is that I can't think of anything else that they can affect. We can argue about tipping in restaurants (or hotels), but there are at least several things that your waiter can affect for future visits - how fast you get served, how easily you get seated during busy times, whether you can get a reservation etc. What can a flight attendant in economy class affect? I don't know if Frontier offers free drinks or food, but even on a 'full service' airline, everyone gets served the same terrible food in the same order, and they generally don't have time for any special requests. I doubt they can just give free upgrades to business class to people they like, either. I don't understand what someone would hope to achieve by tipping on a commuter flight. It would be like tipping a bus driver or the train guard on VIA rail.