• Dec 5th, 2013 4:48 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
826 posts
192 upvotes

Young preteens wearing inappropriate clothing

When did it become acceptable for parents to allow their young 11 and 12 year old daughters to wear skin tight pants that accentuate their body parts? It seems it's happening younger and younger these days. I was at my daughters school today watching a play recital and there were a few girls there that were a grade or two above here wearing skin tight "jeggins" ( I think that's what they are called) that left nothing to the imagination. These girls were in grade 7-8

I mean seriously? It's not the first time that I've seen it but it's happening more and more and at a younger and younger age and it's rather disturbing. Even Halloween costumes geared towards young girls ages 11-13 have become sexualized and I don't understand the need for it.

I really am not looking forward to my daughter getting a year or two older because I know that this battle is probably coming and heads will probably roll.
She's 11 now and world war 3 will probably erupt the 1st time she asks to buy a pair of these pants.

It's not like it's the odd random kid that's doing it these days with parents that don't care. it's basically common place now and my wife and I have talked about it and neither one of us "get it"
128 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2012
8850 posts
672 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Sign of the times. Get used to it. You sound like those rents from 50-60yrs ago who didnt get why females wore shorts at knee level or short sleeve blouses exposing their arms. Ohh, the *horror*!! Generational differences. As usual blame the media... aka Miley Cyrus or Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines vid.

Fashion Police?? I thought that's Joan Rivers job... :razz:
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Fashion/style changes. There is a fine line between classy and trashy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCYeO2o28U
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
826 posts
192 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 2:17 am
Sign of the times. Get used to it. You sound like those rents from 50-60yrs ago who didnt get why females wore shorts at knee level or short sleeve blouses exposing their arms. Ohh, the *horror*!! Generational differences. As usual blame the media... aka Miley Cyrus or Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines vid.
So, Are you saying that it's ok for a preteen to dress in skin tight clothing where I can basically see their ***** cheeks, and that is no different then seeing it on a grown woman?

Are you saying it's ok for a preteen to express their sexuality and that its no different than a grown woman doing the same?

How old are you?
Do you have kids?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
I think it's disgusting. It's even worse when you see 8 year olds with make up on. I mean, SERIOUSLY!?!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2007
6352 posts
190 upvotes
This has been happening for years now but you may be more sensitive to it now that you have a daughter reaching that age where she wants to do her own thing. I was a teenager back in the day when mini-skirts were the rage. My parents were rather strict and they had a lot of input on what was acceptable for me to wear. I wasn't allowed to wear "GO GO Boots", bell bottoms, nylons, makeup, nail polish or mini-skirts. It was like pulling teeth to get my parents to agree to my getting my ears pierced and was FINALLY allowed to when I turned 14 or 15.

I do remember very clearly wearing a skirt of respectable length when I left the house in the morning but rolling it up at the waist to make it shorter. My parents would have flipped out if they saw me wearing my makeshift mini-skirt but they never did as I made sure it was back to the proper length when I arrived home.

That being said, I do think that some parents don't pay attention to what they're kids are wearing and some just don't care. A couple of years ago I was at a cousin's birthday party. There was a lot of family there and one of my cousins was there with her daughter and her daughter's daughter who was 11 at the time. This little girl is quite developed and she was wearing a low-cut dress and it left very little to the imagination. I personally thought it was ridiculous to allow a kid of that age to dress that way but her mom and her grandma didn't seem to have a problem with it. At the end of the day, it was none of my business but it doesn't stop me from having an opinion on it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17612 posts
1636 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Parents dress their little kids just like how they dress themselves at that age.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
May 28, 2012
9036 posts
1591 upvotes
Saskatoon
Blame it on Lululemon. They have inspired several tween lines of athletic clothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3702 posts
123 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Did you wake up from a coma? :facepalm:
Purple Purple Purple :razz:
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2012
1372 posts
140 upvotes
Yeah, 11 year olds wearing leggings with a thong. Why is it a neccesity to show off your bum like that? It must draw bad attention from older men.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8104 posts
1323 upvotes
London
The OP must have a coronary at the beach.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2576 posts
1137 upvotes
Ottawa
I blame popular media and the explosion of the internet.

What kid doesn't idolize and emulate the "stars" of the day. It's happened for generations only these days the media plays a larger role in the development of kids, they are exposed to it 24/7 these days, more time than they are exposed to their parents.

"Stars" these days would have been dismissed as "hoodlums" or "tramps" years back but these days they form the backbone of youth development from the clothes they wear to their speech, mannerisms and vocabulary (or what's left of it).

Parents stand a slim chance of enforcing their morals on youth armed with the idea that they know better and with the knowledge that their is no real consequence for disobeying your parents these days.

I sympathize with you OP, perhaps you might be lucky enough to have a daughter that will choose a different path.
prae praesto filum clostrum
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
826 posts
192 upvotes
Simaahoy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 2:44 am
Did you wake up from a coma? :facepalm:
No.\

Hey I appreciate sexy clothing as much as the next guy. But there's a huge difference between a grown woman wearing clothing that accentuates her body in a sexy way and an 11 year old doing it.

I realize this has been going on for years, but if you asked me 5 years ago I would not have said preteens dress this way all the time and it's not common place. I would have said that was more the 14-16 year old age thing. It just seems it's happening younger and younger these days.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2009
826 posts
192 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 20th, 2013 2:17 am
Sign of the times. Get used to it. You sound like those rents from 50-60yrs ago who didnt get why females wore shorts at knee level or short sleeve blouses exposing their arms. Ohh, the *horror*!!
It's not the clothing that bothers me, it's the age. It wasn't the age that was an issue back then, it was the clothing. See the difference?

What's next? Is Sears is going to start modeling preteens in thongs and push up bras? If what I posted originally is ok in your view, why is preteens modeling thongs and push up bras not? Explain the difference if it's just a generation thing?

Obviously an extreme example but I'm tired and couldn't think of a better one at the moment
× < >