• Jan 12th, 2018 8:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1588 posts
230 upvotes
Maple

Your favorite places in California?

I'm flying to Santa Ana and need to plan my trip. I'm there for a week with a convertible and my wife. Top areas you liked? This way I can try to plan. What route to tour.
50 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1140 posts
201 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Driving along the coastal road was our favourite thing to do. Big Sur is amazing, so beautiful. We also liked San Diego and San Francisco, although both cities are entirely different.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1587 posts
845 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:02 pm
I'm flying to Santa Ana and need to plan my trip. I'm there for a week with a convertible and my wife. Top areas you liked? This way I can try to plan. What route to tour.
I'd say go south to San Diego along the coast. Go to Carlsbad then get off I-5 and take the North Coast Highway down to La Jolla through Torrey Pines. Beautiful drive and even moreso in a convertible!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5980 posts
3216 upvotes
So Cal is better in the winter... Northern Cali is a bit too chilly.

LA, San Diego and Palm Springs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1588 posts
230 upvotes
Maple
I am going in July, 7 days.

San Diego or San Fran ? I can only do one.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1140 posts
201 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 7:43 pm
I am going in July, 7 days.

San Diego or San Fran ? I can only do one.
Hmmm, tough choice. Maybe San Diego, but try to make it to Big Sur Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14704 posts
5018 upvotes
San Diego was our favourite, hands down. For us there was so much to do and such a laid back atmosphere. The advantage for you is that it's close to SNA so you do not lose much time traveling. You get to enjoy Coronado (awesome) and can tour other attractions (USS Midway, Wild Animal Safari, SD Zoo, Gaslamp, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, etc.). Plus because you're close to SNA/LA you can still do stuff there is you want. To me it's a no brainer - I wouldn't do SNA - SF with only a week because you'll want to tour the PCH which eats up most of that time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1588 posts
230 upvotes
Maple
I was thinking 2 days in san diego, then drive up to calabasas which is close to hollywood, malibu etc for 2 days then head north for 2 days, but how far north>?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
5980 posts
3216 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 11:30 pm
I was thinking 2 days in san diego, then drive up to calabasas which is close to hollywood, malibu etc for 2 days then head north for 2 days, but how far north>?
DO NOT GO NORTH JUST FOR 2 DAYS

You are wasting time!

Stay in So Cal! So San Diego....LA... you still cant even do that for 7 days i guarantee that.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1088 posts
601 upvotes
Got the same deal as you. THinking of going to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon for 3 nights and then 4 days in Los Angeles. Wish I booked for more than a week!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4298 posts
1073 upvotes
Winnipeg
There are 3 or 4 day cruise ship out of La
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1587 posts
845 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:40 pm
San Diego was our favourite, hands down. You get to enjoy Coronado (awesome) and can tour other attractions (USS Midway, Wild Animal Safari, SD Zoo, Gaslamp, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, etc.).
Just a heads-up on this, the Wild Animal Safari is now called the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. I was just there (in October)!
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2010
4894 posts
1790 upvotes
knuks101 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:37 pm
Driving along the coastal road was our favourite thing to do. Big Sur is amazing, so beautiful. We also liked San Diego and San Francisco, although both cities are entirely different.
I saw this and thought "Bingo!"

And then I thought of Sonoma and Napa and then this post came along...
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 6:52 pm
Wine Country
Smiling Face With Sunglasses
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 7:13 pm

I'd say go south to San Diego along the coast. Go to Carlsbad then get off I-5 and take the North Coast Highway down to La Jolla through Torrey Pines. Beautiful drive and even moreso in a convertible!
And then La Jolla and Torrey Pines. D'oh!
Sanyo wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 7:33 pm
So Cal is better in the winter... Northern Cali is a bit too chilly.

LA, San Diego and Palm Springs.
And Palm Springs!

Been to all the places mentioned and, FWIW, I'd skip LA altogether if that was even possible. Every other place listed is excellent and I'd add Monterey, Pebble Beach, and the 17 mile loop to the list.

Tough choice OP. Keep in mind, though, that it's counter-intuitive to think that San Fran will have good weather in the summer. It's traditionally colder there in the summer months than it is in the fall so you might want to rule that out if you're looker for warmer temperatures.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4289 posts
889 upvotes
Alberta
TrevorK wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 10:40 pm
San Diego was our favourite, hands down. For us there was so much to do and such a laid back atmosphere. The advantage for you is that it's close to SNA so you do not lose much time traveling. You get to enjoy Coronado (awesome) and can tour other attractions (USS Midway, Wild Animal Safari, SD Zoo, Gaslamp, Torrey Pines, La Jolla, etc.). Plus because you're close to SNA/LA you can still do stuff there is you want. To me it's a no brainer - I wouldn't do SNA - SF with only a week because you'll want to tour the PCH which eats up most of that time.
x2 for San Diego. Stay at the hotel circle area, it’s close to everything. Mission Bay, Sea World and there’s also the Las America’s Outlet Mall on the Mexican border.