• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1645 posts
254 upvotes
Maple
Thanks guys, this is really helping me narrow things down.

Should I even bother with LA east ? As in Venice Beach, Malibu and santa Barbara? I want the beauty of the coast

We will be staying two nights in palm springs.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1197 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
We spent one day in Santa Monica/Venice Beach. The Pier in Santa Monica is nice for a visit, lots of Route 66 stuff for sale, as it's the end destination of Route 66. Venice Beach was a bit run down, though. We rented bicycles on the beach in Santa Monica and rode all along the beach, it was a lot of fun.

We also visited Hollywood, which was a total waste of time IMO.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2008 posts
1053 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 3:13 pm
x2 for San Diego. Stay at the hotel circle area, it’s close to everything. Mission Bay, Sea World and there’s also the Las America’s Outlet Mall on the Mexican border.
If you're already in Mission Bay, take one of the boats to see the whales and dolphins (and the Navy ships) out in the ocean!
http://sdwhalewatch.com/
Aug 10, 2011
254 posts
33 upvotes
EAST YORK
we jumped on those same tickets for july as well. We have been going to SoCal every summer for almost past 7 years. Our son goes to a marine biology summer camp in Dana Point. for seven days i would stick to southern Cal. There is so much to see and do.
1. Los Angeles/Hollywood/universal/disney/malibu
2. laguna beach - art galleries/restaurants
3.Huntington Beach/Newport beach
4. whale watching/Dana Point/Dana point headlands trail and strand beach
5. Catalina island
6. Temecula - wineries
7. San Diego - balboa park and all museums there
8. La Jolla - art galleries/ restaurants/shops and beautiful walks by the water

ps. these are not in any order just from top of my head

cheers,
Zoomer 4gb $36 loyalty plan
Freedom 2gb $29 plan
Carry-Tel $34.99 75M internet plan
Bell 1gb $5 tablet plan
Aug 10, 2011
254 posts
33 upvotes
EAST YORK
personal preference
i love the drive from malibu to santa barbara
Freedom 2gb $29 plan
Bell 1gb $5 tablet plan
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1197 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
It's actually funny that nobody has mentioned Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego. We weren't planning on going there, but decided to visit anyway late in the afternoon one day and were very happy we did. The grounds are beautiful and you get a stunning view of San Diego. I just wished we'd gone a bit earlier, because one of the roads was closed already for the public ( near closing time)
Aug 10, 2011
254 posts
33 upvotes
EAST YORK
knuks101 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 12:57 am
It's actually funny that nobody has mentioned Cabrillo National Monument in San Diego. We weren't planning on going there, but decided to visit anyway late in the afternoon one day and were very happy we did. The grounds are beautiful and you get a stunning view of San Diego. I just wished we'd gone a bit earlier, because one of the roads was closed already for the public ( near closing time)
you are absolutely right. completely forgot about that place. we went back 3 times to hike around and our son loved walking around the tide pools....even saw a submarine heading out to sea (first for me)
Freedom 2gb $29 plan
Bell 1gb $5 tablet plan
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7400 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
love driving a convertible, one thing that may catch you by surprise especially in urban LA is how exposed you are in a convertible. While you are having the time of your life, you'll also be way closer to the bums asking you for change at a red light then you may expect. While most are harmless, I tell people a convertible is like sitting in your living room sofa, but being in the middle of L.A.

Save the PCH drive for a separate time. Going from San Fran to LA southbound one way is a better journey (we made the mistake of going north and all the vista / look out spots generally required a left turn to get in, and a left turn to get out. Some were pretty sketchy in terms of seeing on coming traffic)

While I don't normally give to beggars, considering how open you are and you will be asked for change, the bums are physically close to you, we ended up buying a pack of the cheapest smokes we could and found that was more satisfactory to most then giving them something like a nickel and looking cheap. Buy a pack of the cheapest cigs should be around a dime a smoke or something, pretend you're looking for change then offer a smoke. Most seemed pretty happy or said no to the smoke.

PS I was disappointed in terms of scenery on the drive from LA to San Diego, that may be because the PCH spoiled us.

The drive through the Anza Borrego State Park to the east of San Diego was really beautiful. Looked like the background of super Mario in desert levels.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1197 posts
218 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Make sure you put on a lot of sunscreen too, being in a convertible. It gets hot in those things, when you're in the full sun!

I agree about driving the PCH from north to south. We actually rented a car in San Francisco and returned it in San Diego a week later, which was perfect. I'd read beforehand that it makes more sense driving SB, because of the road turn outs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7400 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
one more note that surprised many is luggage in a convertible, remember when the top is down the trunk is half occupied by the roof. If you are just a 2 then yes the back seat works, but if you are 3 or 4 make sure you understand how much space you are working with. Maybe give the rental agency a call (the actual location if possible) and get an idea of what cars they offer. Google/youtube the size.

Be careful about closing the roof in garages.

If you are planning LA to San Diego, google the scenic route, it's not super obvious or well posted as you are in and out of the freeway vs 101 (and many parts of the 101 are local roads).

Hang Ten at Huntington beach on your way down ;)
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Jan 24, 2011
616 posts
128 upvotes
Me too in the same boat.. working on plan for 10 days visit ... have kids 14yr and 8yrs. Thinking of Universal studio for 2 days. How many days required to cover rides?
Never been in cruise. Heard cruise option available from LA. Looking 3-4 night cruise. Please recommend options.
Dec 20, 2012
149 posts
54 upvotes
Brampton
did everyone flying into SNA from YYZ in June or July get in on the Delta $134 fare?? Since it's premium economy , was this an actual mistake fare? I jumped on it as soon as I got the email from a website I use for these notifications.

i'm heading there on June 6th for a week with my gf and already reserved my convertible. Staying in LA for 3 nights and then SD area for 3 nights with maybe crossing for the day into Tijuana.
Since we're both huge ball fans, we plan on catching a Dodgers game but I'm disappointed that i wasn't aware of the Jays schedule as they'll be in Anaheim 2 weeks after we leave the area.
Jan 24, 2011
616 posts
128 upvotes
JEsco1982 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:57 am
did everyone flying into SNA from YYZ in June or July get in on the Delta $134 fare?? Since it's premium economy , was this an actual mistake fare? I jumped on it as soon as I got the email from a website I use for these notifications.

i'm heading there on June 6th for a week with my gf and already reserved my convertible. Staying in LA for 3 nights and then SD area for 3 nights with maybe crossing for the day into Tijuana.
Since we're both huge ball fans, we plan on catching a Dodgers game but I'm disappointed that i wasn't aware of the Jays schedule as they'll be in Anaheim 2 weeks after we leave the area.
Yes. Same Delta mistake fare tickets ... Going there for first week of Aug for 11 days.

Where did you booked car. Through Kayak, I see full size car for $389 CAD (11 days) from Airport location. Is this good price?
Also do we need to get insurance for piece of mind
Dec 20, 2012
149 posts
54 upvotes
Brampton
cag_73 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 10:07 am
Yes. Same Delta mistake fare tickets ... Going there for first week of Aug for 11 days.

Where did you booked car. Through Kayak, I see full size car for $389 (11 days) from Airport location. Is this good price?
Also do we need to get insurance for piece of mind
It's the United States of America, you should ALWAYS have insurance for both car and health,even if your car insurance at home covers you it's better to just get the rental agencies insurace where you just walk away if anything happens.

I got my convertible rental from Alamo through Expedia for a total of $463.12 ($358.12 rental plus 105.00 insurance at $15/day for 7 days ).. for $15/day peace of mind is amazing.