• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:12 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4366 posts
2338 upvotes
GangStarr wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 2:26 pm
one more note that surprised many is luggage in a convertible, remember when the top is down the trunk is half occupied by the roof. If you are just a 2 then yes the back seat works, but if you are 3 or 4 make sure you understand how much space you are working with. Maybe give the rental agency a call (the actual location if possible) and get an idea of what cars they offer. Google/youtube the size.

Be careful about closing the roof in garages.

If you are planning LA to San Diego, google the scenic route, it's not super obvious or well posted as you are in and out of the freeway vs 101 (and many parts of the 101 are local roads).

Hang Ten at Huntington beach on your way down ;)
GOOD TIP

Not all convertibles are the same regarding trunk room... so ask / know BEFORE you get there

There are certainly some cars where the roof compartment is not in the trunk... but not many.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2693 posts
318 upvotes
Vaughan
I'm not the biggest fan of the LA area. I prefer SD, and SF, but they are in different directions. I went to Cali in November. I landed in Santa Ana. I found its much cheaper to get a round trip ticket from yyz to sna, rather than lax or the sd airport. I would say maybe spend a few days in both the LA area, and SD area. Since it seems like you've never been before.

Santa Monica is nice. Hollywood is ghetto once you step outside the touristy area. You also have disneyland and universal studios. I went to universal studios on my recent trip. It was great there, but the ticket was expensive. I bought the fast pass ticket though, which is even more expensive than the regular ones. I also went to shore line village in long beach, which was nice. You can see the Queen Mary from here. The Queen Mary is something you might want to check out. I decide not to go, since I read a lot of reviews, that there are currently a lot of renovations, so a lot of the areas were closed. I'll probably go to the Queen Mary the next time i visit socal though. In SD, LA Jolla was my favourite spot. I went to the SD safari park zoo. I've also been to the SD zoo (5 years earlier). Both different experiences, but the Zoo has more exhibits/animals to see. The safari park has the animals in a more natural habitat than the zoo though. Both tickets were pricey, but if you have to choose one, I'd say the SD zoo, over the safari park. I wasn't the biggest fan of huntington beach, i think Santa Monica is nicer. Gas town district, is just like any other city's night life district. Bars/clubs all around. If you want a nice skyline view of SD, go over to Corona (yes its a place, not just a beer). Just an fyi, SD isn't that big of a city. The airport is directly downtown. If you stay anywhere near downtown, you will hear the airplanes flying over. i personally love Cali. Definitely one of my favourite places in the US.

Also Tijuana Mexico is super close to SD. You can park your rental car at the border and walk over for a day time excursion. However, I'd watch/read up on what its like Tijuana, before heading over. I was by myself, so I decide against going to Tijuana, when i was in SD, however, it seems like cool place to visit.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2006
1854 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
Covered all of California from one end to the other by car and my most favourite hands down were whale watching in
Monterey bay and driving to Big Sur. If you do go to SF then google mosaic steps and go all the way up to watch the sunset and gorgeous views of all of SF.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4290 posts
889 upvotes
Alberta
cag_73 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 8:45 pm
Me too in the same boat.. working on plan for 10 days visit ... have kids 14yr and 8yrs. Thinking of Universal studio for 2 days. How many days required to cover rides?
Never been in cruise. Heard cruise option available from LA. Looking 3-4 night cruise. Please recommend options.
We did it in one day. The trick is to go through the single rider line but our kids were 15 and 17. If not, you’ll be waiting in line forever. And it’s hot in the end of July. Around 42C when we were there. Fried out butts off at Universal and Disneyland.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4366 posts
2338 upvotes
cag_73 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 8:45 pm
Me too in the same boat.. working on plan for 10 days visit ... have kids 14yr and 8yrs. Thinking of Universal studio for 2 days. How many days required to cover rides?
Never been in cruise. Heard cruise option available from LA. Looking 3-4 night cruise. Please recommend options.
Cruise Critic is your best bet for beginning research
You can use their SEARCH Tool to look for cruises that fit your parameters

SEARCH RESULTS (Cruises out of LA) = https://www.cruisecritic.com/smart-deal ... ort=length

Princess & Carnival are the lines who Base here & do shorter 3 & 4 day itineraries
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4290 posts
889 upvotes
Alberta
x2 for Cruise Critic. Learned a lot from this website, a lot of stuff on cruising that I would have never thought of.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4366 posts
2338 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:12 am

SEARCH RESULTS (Cruises out of LA) = https://www.cruisecritic.com/smart-deal ... ort=length

Princess & Carnival are the lines who Base here & do shorter 3 & 4 day itineraries
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:19 am
x2 for Cruise Critic. Learned a lot from this website, a lot of stuff on cruising that I would have never thought of.
Agreed. That website has TONS of helpful info especially for a first time cruiser.

TIP - Research the cruises well... check out the Cost, Itineraries, Ports of Call etc on their website. You can also find info on Cruise Critic specific to First Timers, the Destinations, Cruise Line, Ship... even your own sailing (Roll Call Boards)

BEFORE you book join the Cruise Loyalty Program for the line you want to sail on. Use that Loyalty Membership number when you book. Book direct with the line (online or by phone). As a first timer perhaps do a dummy reservation online to see what your final costing will be (most cruise lines let you put the Reservation ON HOLD for 24 Hours). Then you can always finish up on the phone with the Cruise Line Agent. Like many things in the travel industry best perks go to Loyalty Members... tell the Cruise Agent this is your first cruise. As a newbie look for a midship cabin... they are the most stable. Most folks I know don’t have sea sickness... but as a newbie you never know until you go.
Jan 24, 2011
613 posts
127 upvotes
Thank you .. I will have look at Cruise Critic ....
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:12 am

jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:19 am
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 3:26 am
Agreed. That website has TONS of helpful info especially for a first time cruiser.

TIP - Research the cruises well... check out the Cost, Itineraries, Ports of Call etc on their website. You can also find info on Cruise Critic specific to First Timers, the Destinations, Cruise Line, Ship... even your own sailing (Roll Call Boards)

BEFORE you book join the Cruise Loyalty Program for the line you want to sail on. Use that Loyalty Membership number when you book. Book direct with the line (online or by phone). As a first timer perhaps do a dummy reservation online to see what your final costing will be (most cruise lines let you put the Reservation ON HOLD for 24 Hours). Then you can always finish up on the phone with the Cruise Line Agent. Like many things in the travel industry best perks go to Loyalty Members... tell the Cruise Agent this is your first cruise. As a newbie look for a midship cabin... they are the most stable. Most folks I know don’t have sea sickness... but as a newbie you never know until you go.
Jan 24, 2011
613 posts
127 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 1:05 am
We did it in one day. The trick is to go through the single rider line but our kids were 15 and 17. If not, you’ll be waiting in line forever. And it’s hot in the end of July. Around 42C when we were there. Fried out butts off at Universal and Disneyland.
Thanks .. my kids are 15 and 9. current price for 2 days admission between $129-$159 and express pass price $179 - $269 (express entry for every ride one time). thinking either take 2 days general admission to cover all the rides in two days or express to complete everything one day.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1088 posts
601 upvotes
JEsco1982 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 9:57 am
did everyone flying into SNA from YYZ in June or July get in on the Delta $134 fare?? Since it's premium economy , was this an actual mistake fare? I jumped on it as soon as I got the email from a website I use for these notifications.

i'm heading there on June 6th for a week with my gf and already reserved my convertible. Staying in LA for 3 nights and then SD area for 3 nights with maybe crossing for the day into Tijuana.
Since we're both huge ball fans, we plan on catching a Dodgers game but I'm disappointed that i wasn't aware of the Jays schedule as they'll be in Anaheim 2 weeks after we leave the area.
Might be a silly question but what are the baggage allowances on the premium economy flights? I see first bag is free for the second leg of the flight. Does that mean we are allowed one bag per person?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1588 posts
230 upvotes
Maple
Yes, I got the 134 fair.

It shoes free bag on the second leg because you payed 25 for it already on the first. It carries on to the transfer flight.

So far for my one week itinerary is 2 nights San Diego, drive to Palm Springs for 2 nights then Santa Barbara for 2 nights. Last night in Laguna Beach close to the airport.
Mar 3, 2005
165 posts
68 upvotes
We booked this on a whim. We are paying more for the car than we are to get to Cali. Face With Tears Of Joy
We leave Feb 8th. Also with the comfort class with delta you get free alcohol..just thought I would let you guys know that. Lol. Start your vaca off right!

Anyway we are weary about the weather. Anyone have an idea of the temps then? I need sun before SAD sets in. Thanks for you input I am reading along and taking notes. We have no clue what to do. Overwhelmed with the options I suppose. If we fly to SNA and want to do universal/ the Ellen show/ palm springs/ a nice beach what direction do u guys suggest we head to first?
:cheesygri
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4366 posts
2338 upvotes
Punky Hunky wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 4:14 pm
Might be a silly question but what are the baggage allowances on the premium economy flights? I see first bag is free for the second leg of the flight. Does that mean we are allowed one bag per person?
Baggage allowances can differ by airlines (and even within an airline by the type of plane)

So you need to check each flight / leg for yourself on the Airline Website (either general info OR logged in to your specific flight)

Most airlines charge for something
* every checked bag
* 1st FREE - $ for second
* EVERYTHING

Yes there are deep discount airlines that now as part of their base fare no frills concept charge for EVERYTHING including carry on items.

So ya check & know, before you go... cause you’ll be expected to pay when you check in
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4366 posts
2338 upvotes
lolopie wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:40 pm
We booked this on a whim. We are paying more for the car than we are to get to Cali. Face With Tears Of Joy
We leave Feb 8th. Also with the comfort class with delta you get free alcohol..just thought I would let you guys know that. Lol. Start your vaca off right!

Anyway we are weary about the weather.
Anyone have an idea of the temps then?
I need sun before SAD sets in. Thanks for you input I am reading along and taking notes. We have no clue what to do. Overwhelmed with the options I suppose. If we fly to SNA and want to do universal/ the Ellen show/ palm springs/ a nice beach what direction do u guys suggest we head to first?
Many weather sites can show you past history or weather averages for a particular month

Local Tourism sites also usually have that info

If all else fails, check Wikipedia’s entry for your Destination(s) they always have Climate info
And they are a great source for overview info if you’ve never been somewhere before
Dec 18, 2006
390 posts
377 upvotes
Do you guys recommend having checked luggage since the layover is only about 1 hour - 1.5 hours?
I assume we have to collect them and go through customs again.

Edit: I'm reading some forums saying that we can pre clear in Canada so the checked luggage can be checked to the final destination?