Your favorite places in California?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2018 8:12 pm
Jan 24, 2011
613 posts
127 upvotes
dk1021 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 3:15 pm
Do you guys recommend having checked luggage since the layover is only about 1 hour - 1.5 hours?
I assume we have to collect them and go through customs again.

Edit: I'm reading some forums saying that we can pre clear in Canada so the checked luggage can be checked to the final destination?
From Toronto, we will be completing customs before boarding and connection is domestic. So we no need to collect luggage at connection.

While return, i feel it is based on your connecting airport. My return connection via Minneapolis. In Minneapolis they dont have customs clearance for Canada. No need to collect luggage.

I have traveled through Boston, NY where you need to complete customs for Canada destination.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1156 posts
79 upvotes
Is the scenic route to SD comparable to Big Sur as I am debating whether to drive up north 6 hrs or up to sf
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 6:41 pm
GOOD TIP

Not all convertibles are the same regarding trunk room... so ask / know BEFORE you get there

There are certainly some cars where the roof compartment is not in the trunk... but not many.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1156 posts
79 upvotes
Is that in hw 1, I have 9 full days mid March flying in/out of lax with kids not interested in theme parks/sea world wondering if I should head to Monterey and cover Big Sur and may be sf
bakayaroh wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 12:06 am
personal preference
i love the drive from malibu to santa barbara
Aug 10, 2011
196 posts
22 upvotes
EAST YORK
runeash wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:21 pm
Is that in hw 1, I have 9 full days mid March flying in/out of lax with kids not interested in theme parks/sea world wondering if I should head to Monterey and cover Big Sur and may be sf
no its hw 101 south of the 1

i have not done the hw 1 drive up to big sur but our son loved monterey aquarium and we really liked carmel

really you cant go wrong with whatever you do. we love california so much that we are considering retiring there.

cheers
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4359 posts
2328 upvotes
runeash wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:11 pm
Is the scenic route to SD comparable to Big Sur as I am debating whether to drive up north 6 hrs or up to sf
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 6:41 pm

GOOD TIP

Not all convertibles are the same regarding trunk room... so ask / know BEFORE you get there

There are certainly some cars where the roof compartment is not in the trunk... but not many.
RE - Your Post # 47

To be clear, I was only replying about Convertibles and their trunk space (or lack of it in many models)

The most popular Car Rental Convertible tends to be a Mustang...( at least in Florida, where it has been for many years), no doubt because of its trunk space

If you are destined to get something else... be sure and check online (such as I did for this Mustang Video)

Even though we have not been to California, as a road trip / Car enthusiast I have done my homework on America’s top drives (done many of them already in other states)...
For California they would be

* Pacific Coast Hwy (Route 1) = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor ... te_Route_1

* Route 101 = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101

* 17 Mile Drive = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-Mile_Drive

Like the East Coast of America where Hwy 1 and A1A dominates (twins in many spots) so it is on the West Coast with Routes 1 and 101. So try to organize a circle route to get the most out of the scenery... especially north of San Fran thru Wine Country and the Redwoods (remembering that the best direction to dive the PCHwy is southbound).

Then there is 17 Mike Drive thru the Monterey Peninsula (Carmel-By-The-Sea to Monterey). This is a private road / Park... so it costs to drive it... but it is an iconic area of California, with even views to Pebble Beach Golf Course.

For us, these drives & their regions would be our primary interests in California... as we are not that jazzed by big city LA etc.

For more info you can Google - Best Drives in America, and of course tourism websites for the corresponding regions & cities.

EDIT / ADD - With all that has been happening in California of late (Fires, Floods, Landslides) i should say I have not done any research on which roads are closed where... for that info when planning a route, you should start here with the California DOT

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/statemap.htm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7260 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
runeash wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 9:21 pm
If you decide on Big Sur and you have limited time, may I recommend taking the i5/101 route inland to get there faster, then take the PCH south?

The PCH is better going south, you are on the coastal side, and the view points are easy to stop at (right turn in right turn out vs left in and left out).

Leave lots of time for the PCH, between enjoying it and dealing with traffic and slow u-hauls, motorcycle groups and other non sense along the way make sure you have plenty of time to get back to LA. Worst case you can head inland but it is truly an amazing drive!
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.