Food & Drink

Your favourite cheap eats in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 6:04 pm
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
Sorry but the best bang for you buck is the 16" deluxe pizza from Costco and is only $10.99 and pretty damn tasty too... take it and go.. you will be screaming, "start the car" like the ikea lady on their commercial like you just robbed the place.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 3:16 pm
Food Basics 7.99
Metro sometimes 7.99 (Tuesday)
Metro recently raised the price. The new price is $8.99 Tuesdays.
All the daily $7.99 deals are now $8.99 @ Metro.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11319 posts
1577 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:07 pm
Sorry but the best bang for you buck is the 16" deluxe pizza from Costco and is only $10.99 and pretty damn tasty too... take it and go.. you will be screaming, "start the car" like the ikea lady on their commercial like you just robbed the place.
Are you finding that it has a taste very similar to Pizza Nova, but with a lesser quality crust?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36794 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
SauceLife wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 10:58 pm
Square Boy @ Donlands/Danforth
Huge 1/2 chicken dinner for $10 with fries and greek salad! Amazing.
Legit greek salad with feta And olives by default.
Not "you only get olives if you ask bc no one likes olives". Its the good olives with a bit of bite to it. Not those mushy flavorless olives!
Jul 26, 2015
437 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 1:58 am
Thx for telling me
It's probably bc of minimum wage increase :(
Mar 3, 2011
621 posts
509 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 2:01 am
Are you finding that it has a taste very similar to Pizza Nova, but with a lesser quality crust?
I dont find them to be anything alike.. my work orders from pizza nova regularly for work meeting lunches and they are located in our building so they are definitely hot and fresh when they arrive. Taste wise they are pretty much on their own, closer to a pan style thickness but their crust flavour is pretty good.
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 9:00 pm
Those food trucks on the U of T campus on St George St.
I've never known any food truck to be cheap whether it be good or bad..
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4659 posts
843 upvotes
Markham
I used to buy the 99 cent Apple Fritter at Tim Hortons ($1.05 after tax) but they are now $1.19 so it's no longer cheap IMO LOL.

Embassy / Samosa King 5 for $1.00 Samosa's

ACR Roti Doubles $1.50 (IIRC)

....there are other places to get Samosas or Doubles all over the city as well.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jul 26, 2015
437 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 3:52 pm
I used to buy the 99 cent Apple Fritter at Tim Hortons ($1.05 after tax) but they are now $1.19 so it's no longer cheap IMO LOL.

Embassy / Samosa King 5 for $1.00 Samosa's

ACR Roti Doubles $1.50 (IIRC)

....there are other places to get Samosas or Doubles all over the city as well.
but like, are any of those filling?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36794 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 12:49 am
I dont find them to be anything alike.. my work orders from pizza nova regularly for work meeting lunches and they are located in our building so they are definitely hot and fresh when they arrive. Taste wise they are pretty much on their own, closer to a pan style thickness but their crust flavour is pretty good.

I've never known any food truck to be cheap whether it be good or bad..
Just a fun fact… Those food trucks by U of T are actually people who got permits many many decades ago in ancient Toronto when there was a brief gap in by-laws that allowed it.
Their licenses are grand fathered and extremely rare.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4659 posts
843 upvotes
Markham
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 10:32 pm
I treat them more like snack cheap eats. If you eat 10 samosas you might be full and 3 doubles are ok as well. You can also go to Sri Lankan places for short eats ... They are all pretty cheap eats.

I go to one on Markham and Steeles across the street from Lowes,

Around that area, you can also go to Martin's bakery for lamb kothu roti. Good for two meals for $7 iirc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6842 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 1:58 am
I used to head to Metro for flyer deals and if I get there early, to pick up discounted pastries and stuff from their bakery section on the clearance rack.
Noticed the Metros on Keele have removed these carts that sit overnight and removed at 11am the next morning.
I still think they have the best grocery store jam fillings in pastry and delicious cakes but they are low on my list for visiting unless something in the flyer stands out.
Also a problem with wrong prices being scanned at the cashier at their stores, and if not integrity issues in honoring them, their cashiers either don't know or pretend not to know about SCOP.
Sorry if my rant was off topic.:)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6842 posts
730 upvotes
Toronto
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 10:32 pm
One problem is finding something filling, another is it might be ethnic food which may not suit ones tastebuds.
More importantly, nutritionally low these will tend to be, especially in protein.
ACR doubles is not the best, compared to Drupaties on Hwy 27 but drupaties is $2.
For $2, I get the saheena at ACR. their Pone/cassava cake and currants rolls are a nice treat sometimes.
Cheap I think the Ban Mi sandwiches from viet shops may be the cheapest with some protein.
I don't eat pork so have never tried them.
Asian bakeries on Spadina have decent fare though prices have been going up and protein like chicken has been decreasing in chicken pies for instance.
A Nations supermarket recently opened up in the Stockyards mall close by.
They have combos from $7.99 plus tax and items a la carte from the buffet for $7.99/lb and $5.99/lb which to me is expensive.
They have salads with nutritious ingredients and a bit of animal or plant protein depending on which ones you choose for $4.99.
I have seen combos from in store Asian stores go from $5 to $6 despite mediocre tasting food.
Bought the ginger and green onion lobster once at $7.99 per order only to find all that nice lobster meat was simply flour slurry on a host of empty lobster shell looking like lobster meat.Lol
I recently bought a $4 special at an Asian restaurant and threw it out as the protein was chicken bottoms and lots of skin nicely floured and fried etc. Should have known at this price point but you get what you pay for.
Since OP is just visiting Toronto I would recommend look for quality, and foods not available in BC like ethnic foods, he may want to try instead of looking at price.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36794 posts
2603 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Nov 26th, 2017 1:23 pm
One problem is finding something filling, another is it might be ethnic food which may not suit ones tastebuds.
More importantly, nutritionally low these will tend to be, especially in protein.
ACR doubles is not the best, compared to Drupaties on Hwy 27 but drupaties is $2.
For $2, I get the saheena at ACR. their Pone/cassava cake and currants rolls are a nice treat sometimes.
Cheap I think the Ban Mi sandwiches from viet shops may be the cheapest with some protein.
I don't eat pork so have never tried them.
Asian bakeries on Spadina have decent fare though prices have been going up and protein like chicken has been decreasing in chicken pies for instance.
A Nations supermarket recently opened up in the Stockyards mall close by.
They have combos from $7.99 plus tax and items a la carte from the buffet for $7.99/lb and $5.99/lb which to me is expensive.
They have salads with nutritious ingredients and a bit of animal or plant protein depending on which ones you choose for $4.99.
I have seen combos from in store Asian stores go from $5 to $6 despite mediocre tasting food.
Bought the ginger and green onion lobster once at $7.99 per order only to find all that nice lobster meat was simply flour slurry on a host of empty lobster shell looking like lobster meat.Lol
I recently bought a $4 special at an Asian restaurant and threw it out as the protein was chicken bottoms and lots of skin nicely floured and fried etc. Should have known at this price point but you get what you pay for.
Since OP is just visiting Toronto I would recommend look for quality, and foods not available in BC like ethnic foods, he may want to try instead of looking at price.
If you wanna go bottom of the barrel low...
Theres the chinatown center food court. $4 for 4 items.
Oily fried rice or noodles.
Stir fried pork pancreas/lung with something green(ish lol).
Heavily battered, fried and sauced meat like you mentioned.
Cabbage, onions and a bit of green vegetables stir fried and sauced/chili to dress it up.

All for $4 and they throw in a soy milk. Most likely watered down.

The place does a good job of filling up the low income residence near by and some of the less fortunate for a low low price.