• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 6:04 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1687 posts
500 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 2:46 pm
If you wanna go bottom of the barrel low...
Theres the chinatown center food court. $4 for 4 items.
Oily fried rice or noodles.
Stir fried pork pancreas/lung with something green(ish lol).
Heavily battered, fried and sauced meat like you mentioned.
Cabbage, onions and a bit of green vegetables stir fried and sauced/chili to dress it up.

All for $4 and they throw in a soy milk. Most likely watered down.

The place does a good job of filling up the low income residence near by and some of the less fortunate for a low low price.
That super dark place, with half a dozen food hole-in-the-wall competing against each other? I was too scared to try it. Prices seems to be too low to be sustainable.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3722 posts
435 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 24th, 2017 11:09 pm
Just a fun fact… Those food trucks by U of T are actually people who got permits many many decades ago in ancient Toronto when there was a brief gap in by-laws that allowed it. Their licenses are grand fathered and extremely rare.
There are a few new food trucks on St George St. When I was in undergrad it was the two fries trucks, two Chinese food trucks and two hot dog stands. Now there's also a third Chinese truck, a shwarma truck (prices in the $10 range) and a (Taiwanese?) fried chicken truck (also in the $10 range). I think the fries trucks have had the same prices ($5.50 for burger and fries) for the past 20 years.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
playnicee1 wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 5:52 am
Free refills on the pop too! (self serve) at the Costco food court.
What do you mean that's a good one?
Going in through the exit is indeed allowed.
On the way out just show the hot dog receipt on the way out and you're still good to go... (yup! No membership required!)
Please don't take it the wrong way. I didn't mean it in a bad way. I actually eat at Costco over in Vancouver more than you think. It's cheap and convenient after shopping at Costco. However, I'm on vacation and I want to try out as many places as I can while I'm there.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 2:20 pm
Was at Costco recently. Pretty sure the rotisserie chicken is $7.99 and you need a membership. :( Somebody here please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, I think you need it because it's not in the food court area, at least at the Costcos over here in Metro Vancouver. You'll have to go inside to get it and get it, which means you'll need membership in order to pay for it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
meepsheep wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 8:35 pm
Thx for telling me
It's probably bc of minimum wage increase :(
Same thing here in Vancouver. Prices are no longer stable here as minimum wage goes up every year.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17842 posts
214 upvotes
YVR
I forgot to mention that I'll be staying in Downtown Toronto. I won't be driving a car so hopefully most of these places are easily accessibly by public transportation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:12 am
I forgot to mention that I'll be staying in Downtown Toronto. I won't be driving a car so hopefully most of these places are easily accessibly by public transportation.
Ignore my suggestions then they're all uptown and would take 30 min by TTC at least. Be sure to take a walk through the St Lawrence market for lunch any day other than Monday when they're closed.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2118 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
badOne wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 3:50 pm
That super dark place, with half a dozen food hole-in-the-wall competing against each other? I was too scared to try it. Prices seems to be too low to be sustainable.
There are sketchy places to eat, and then there is that. Nope. Not gonna happen. Not even for free.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1050 posts
209 upvotes
The legs are sold by weight. $7.99/lb (kg?)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6858 posts
737 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 11:40 am
Ignore my suggestions then they're all uptown and would take 30 min by TTC at least. Be sure to take a walk through the St Lawrence market for lunch any day other than Monday when they're closed.
this is a great idea. Lot's of food places in that area outside the market building as well, including grocery stores like Metro where you can pick up stuff in the Deli and bakery section etc too.
Mar 24, 2016
295 posts
278 upvotes
scarborough
Kherani wrote:
Nov 27th, 2017 3:54 pm
One Jr Chicken and One McDouble.
Cant beat that. Noticed this week Metro has the Big Mac suacefor $1.49.

Mmm yum
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3990 posts
1148 upvotes
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:29 am
If you were to name three places, what would it be?
You should tell us what your budget is.

Having said that .... and using a loose $10-15 budget.

I would recommend the following:

Mr Jerk near Lawrence and Keele.
Lim Ga Nee near Christie and Bloor.
One2 Snacks near Midland and Sheppard.

Also there is a Chinese bun bakery near One2 Snacks (called Red House bakery) - definitely recommend. If you like Chinese BBQ stuff, Ho Ho Barbecue is not that far at McNicoll and Midland.

I have no clue why people are talking about Costco and McDonald's. These are not unique to Toronto.

I edited because I refined my choices.
Last edited by renoldman on Dec 10th, 2017 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.