Food & Drink

Your favourite ramen restaurant in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 2:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR

Your favourite ramen restaurant in Toronto?

I'm going to be in Toronto for about a week in December. I know everyone will have an opinion on what's the best ramen restaurant, but it would be nice to read some of the comments here. I think I'm going to skip Jinya and Santouka just Vancouver have them unless you guys can give me a good reason to try those two restaurants in Toronto.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
3869 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
Konjiki ramen is supposed to open in december. The original got 1 michelin star in 2016(not sure for 2017) (Edit: Apparently, it's Michelin recommended not star; Thanks thelefteyeguy!):

http://www.konjikiramen.com

Personally, if you like fatty rich pork broth I would recommend the Original tonkosu ramen with pork belly at Kinton Ramen (church street location only; Other locations are quite inconsistent). Their chicken karrage is amazing too. I would avoid their chicken broth though:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kinton-ramen-to ... =date_desc

I haven't tried ramen in Japan but I have tried ippudo and Ichiran ramen in New York. The ramen (just the ramen not the broth) blew anything that Toronto has to offer.
Last edited by Spiderpal93 on Nov 20th, 2017 10:14 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23409 posts
1106 upvotes
Markham, ON
1st choice: Ramen Isshin (College/Bathurst)
only choice.

(However if you like thick broth especially when its like -3 today in Toronto..Hakata Shoryuken Ramen)

(Kojiki is not opened yet; also it's michelin recommended...not star I believe)
Personally I dont recommend Kinton.
If you like
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4219 posts
709 upvotes
I've been to many and I think they all have something unique that other stores don't have

-Santouka: Best one according to my GF who is Japanese if you need an opinion of a Japanese. I personally like sansotei more.

-Sansotei: Probably the most popular to the Chinese community. The dundas location has lineups all the time. They have a very good dan dan noodle which is what I usually order

-Kinton: I think they have the saltiest pork broth if you like pork broth. They also have a chicken broth which I haven't tried. Pork Pork Pork.

-Ryu's noodle bar: They have angus beef and wheat noodles. They had a fire. Not sure if reopened yet.

-Shoryuken (yonge/Finch): nothing really stands out here but nothing bad either. Have all your standard options.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4928 posts
773 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 10:25 am
Seconded for Vancouver visitor!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Santouka, Sansotei and Kinton. Those are my top 3 favorites as well

If you're up for trying something a little outside the box check out Momofuku Noodle Bar next to the Shangri La hotel. It's a tad pricier and kind of "hipster" compared the others but I enjoy their take on traditional ramen and they have other interesting noodle dishes and apps that change frequently. The dining room is also so much cooler than the typical tiny corridor ramen restaurants all over the city and worth experiencing if you're in town.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR
Spiderpal93 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 10:14 am
Konjiki ramen is supposed to open in december. The original got 1 michelin star in 2016(not sure for 2017) (Edit: Apparently, it's Michelin recommended not star; Thanks thelefteyeguy!):

http://www.konjikiramen.com

Personally, if you like fatty rich pork broth I would recommend the Original tonkosu ramen with pork belly at Kinton Ramen (church street location only; Other locations are quite inconsistent). Their chicken karrage is amazing too. I would avoid their chicken broth though:

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/kinton-ramen-to ... =date_desc

I haven't tried ramen in Japan but I have tried ippudo and Ichiran ramen in New York. The ramen (just the ramen not the broth) blew anything that Toronto has to offer.
Never heard of them before. Gotta try it out a couple of weeks from now as I'll be heading to San Francisco and NYC after Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 10:25 am
only choice.

(However if you like thick broth especially when its like -3 today in Toronto..Hakata Shoryuken Ramen)

(Kojiki is not opened yet; also it's michelin recommended...not star I believe)
Personally I dont recommend Kinton.
If you like
I got 5 days in Toronto. Should be enough time to try them all right?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:53 am
+1 for Santouka, Sansotei and Kinton. Those are my top 3 favorites as well

If you're up for trying something a little outside the box check out Momofuku Noodle Bar next to the Shangri La hotel. It's a tad pricier and kind of "hipster" compared the others but I enjoy their take on traditional ramen and they have other interesting noodle dishes and apps that change frequently. The dining room is also so much cooler than the typical tiny corridor ramen restaurants all over the city and worth experiencing if you're in town.
Is there any difference between the Santouka locations around the world?

I just checked out the menu of Momofuku. What do you recommend?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 5:00 am
Is there any difference between the Santouka locations around the world?

I just checked out the menu of Momofuku. What do you recommend?
Considering they're on the same website I would assume the Santouka here is what you've already had in Vancouver

I like the traditional Pork ramen at Momofuku and it's the only thing that stays constant throughout the menu rotations but it won't necessarily be better than what you've had already at Santouka, just different. Look up a picture of it and you'll see what I mean. They once had a chicken ramen that was phenomenal but it wasn't on the menu next time I went back. If you're not picky and enjoy new experiences, just order whatever is in rotation that sounds good to you. The bun appetizers have been great when I tried them, but those change as well.
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 4:57 am
I got 5 days in Toronto. Should be enough time to try them all right?
Maybe you just really like Ramen but honestly you've already had the best with Santouka. Toronto has a huge variety of amazing restaurants featuring all types of cuisines and I'd recommend checking out some of those rather than filling your 5 days here with Ramen that won't necessarily be better that what you've already had in Vancouver.
Jul 26, 2015
436 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
+1 Sansotei (Yonge/Finch) & Hakata Shoryuken
I live near both of them and the lineup is always not bad at all even in rush hour times. Prices decent too!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:33 pm
Considering they're on the same website I would assume the Santouka here is what you've already had in Vancouver

I like the traditional Pork ramen at Momofuku and it's the only thing that stays constant throughout the menu rotations but it won't necessarily be better than what you've had already at Santouka, just different. Look up a picture of it and you'll see what I mean. They once had a chicken ramen that was phenomenal but it wasn't on the menu next time I went back. If you're not picky and enjoy new experiences, just order whatever is in rotation that sounds good to you. The bun appetizers have been great when I tried them, but those change as well.

Maybe you just really like Ramen but honestly you've already had the best with Santouka. Toronto has a huge variety of amazing restaurants featuring all types of cuisines and I'd recommend checking out some of those rather than filling your 5 days here with Ramen that won't necessarily be better that what you've already had in Vancouver.
I do and I eat ramen a lot more often than you think. I fully intend to try lots of other things while I'm there. It ain't going to be ramen every meal. I promise!
May 7, 2008
476 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with ReeGee - Toronto is not the place to do ramen.

That being said - unless you find yourself in NYC or Oz - we do have Momofuku, which Vancouver and a lot of place don't. The ramen there is always decent - probably good to try the place that caused the ramen craze in N.A. Chang & Gang rely a lot of smoking to develop flavors in their bowl. I'm personally all about the subtleties of the broth - I usually get half salt Shios, which is why Momofuku is not the place for me, but I do partake during sale times (Winterlicious/Summerlicious).

Just a reference point as to where my tastes lie - I think Santouka is the best in Toronto, followed by Sensotei.