Food & Drink

Your favourite ramen restaurant in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 2:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 2:11 am

I do and I eat ramen a lot more often than you think. I fully intend to try lots of other things while I'm there. It ain't going to be ramen every meal. I promise!
antihero wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:10 am
I agree with ReeGee - Toronto is not the place to do ramen.

That being said - unless you find yourself in NYC or Oz - we do have Momofuku, which Vancouver and a lot of place don't. The ramen there is always decent - probably good to try the place that caused the ramen craze in N.A. Chang & Gang rely a lot of smoking to develop flavors in their bowl. I'm personally all about the subtleties of the broth - I usually get half salt Shios, which is why Momofuku is not the place for me, but I do partake during sale times (Winterlicious/Summerlicious).

Just a reference point as to where my tastes lie - I think Santouka is the best in Toronto, followed by Sensotei.
Coincidentally I wound up at Momofuku again this past Saturday. I hadn't been in a bit over a year and it's still as good as ever. I went in a little after 10pm and it was still absolutely packed to the upstairs. I tried the Chicken Tan Tan and it was quite a tasty, spicy and refreshing change from the usual Pork ramen. My wife had the Pork ramen and it was still as good as ever. We also shared the Shiitake buns and they were fantastic. Bill came out to about $55 after tax and tip which like I mentioned before is pricier than most Ramen spots in the city but worth the experience imo. I will probably be back a couple more times over the winter.

Btw it's not that I think Toronto isn't the place to do Ramen, I think we have some great places here, but they probably aren't remarkably better or different from what he's already had in Vancouver aside from Momofuku
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9629 posts
1281 upvotes
Toronto
antihero wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 4:10 am
I agree with ReeGee - Toronto is not the place to do ramen.

That being said - unless you find yourself in NYC or Oz - we do have Momofuku, which Vancouver and a lot of place don't. The ramen there is always decent - probably good to try the place that caused the ramen craze in N.A. Chang & Gang rely a lot of smoking to develop flavors in their bowl. I'm personally all about the subtleties of the broth - I usually get half salt Shios, which is why Momofuku is not the place for me, but I do partake during sale times (Winterlicious/Summerlicious).

Just a reference point as to where my tastes lie - I think Santouka is the best in Toronto, followed by Sensotei.
The ramen I had in Vancouver was much better than the top places here IMO. Just like the sushi. I had it in 2009 and wondered why Toronto didn't have any genuine (mainly focused on that) ramen places. Kenzo was the only realistic option. I was saying Toronto market is ripe for Ramen as an alternative to Pho for noodle soup. It definitely turned out that way.
May 7, 2008
476 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
Agree with you both ReeGee and at1212b.

Toronto is definitely inferior to Vancouver for ramen and sushi and most Japanese cuisine in general.

As for whether Toronto is any good at ramen...not sure about that...
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17814 posts
213 upvotes
YVR
ReeGee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:47 am
Coincidentally I wound up at Momofuku again this past Saturday. I hadn't been in a bit over a year and it's still as good as ever. I went in a little after 10pm and it was still absolutely packed to the upstairs. I tried the Chicken Tan Tan and it was quite a tasty, spicy and refreshing change from the usual Pork ramen. My wife had the Pork ramen and it was still as good as ever. We also shared the Shiitake buns and they were fantastic. Bill came out to about $55 after tax and tip which like I mentioned before is pricier than most Ramen spots in the city but worth the experience imo. I will probably be back a couple more times over the winter.

Btw it's not that I think Toronto isn't the place to do Ramen, I think we have some great places here, but they probably aren't remarkably better or different from what he's already had in Vancouver aside from Momofuku
I went to Momofuku earlier today. Awesome food and environment, but you're right, it was really expensive. I got the Shiitake Buns and Pork Ramen. With tips and taxes, I paid almost C$34.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5335 posts
1737 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:44 pm
I went to Momofuku earlier today. Awesome food and environment, but you're right, it was really expensive. I got the Shiitake Buns and Pork Ramen. With tips and taxes, I paid almost C$34.
Glad you enjoyed it. That's the big city hipster dining experience markup, it is what it is lol

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay