Art and Photography

Your favourite vantage points in Hong Kong and Taipei?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2018 3:24 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17912 posts
219 upvotes
YVR

Your favourite vantage points in Hong Kong and Taipei?

Looking for some suggestions here.

Thanks.
4 replies
Apr 10, 2012
734 posts
272 upvotes
For Taipei, definitely visit Elephant Mountain. Bring some bottled water with you beforehand, because there are a ton of uneven stairs, so you'll be getting in a workout. I wish I had visited a bit later to get a sunset/night shot, but we were a bit irritable because of the sweat (went in the summer) and just wanted to go back down. We didn't go to Taipei 101 because it was pricey and we were getting a beautiful view from Elephant Mountain which also included the tower, but I'm sure that's a great vantage point as well. If you want just the view, when the trail forks, take the right stairs.

ImageTaipei - View from Elephant Mountain by S K, on Flickr

There are also some other trails on the opposite end of the city, that may be worth checking out if you have time.

Let me know if you have any questions about Taipei. I absolutely loved my time there and it was definitely a hidden gem on my Asia travels.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3523 posts
301 upvotes
HK and Taipei were some of my first attempts at cityscape time-lapse and they're still some of my favourite

for HK skip the Gallery at the Peak, instead go follow this side-path for less people, and free of course
http://blog.bigfoottour.com/victoria-peak-hong-kong/

for Taipei, it's a short walk up Elephant Mountain (think Mont Royal behind McGill in Montreal) but you'll likely be sweating bullets by first platform, if going after May. Second platform is supposedly the best but you have to go hours in advance if you want sunset shots. I used to love going there but now it gets crazy busy ever since they built a MRT station near it.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2978 posts
278 upvotes
I am actually going to HK in a couple of weeks. Definitely going to hit up Braemar Hill and Lion Rock.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
17912 posts
219 upvotes
YVR
shahram0 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:37 pm
For Taipei, definitely visit Elephant Mountain. Bring some bottled water with you beforehand, because there are a ton of uneven stairs, so you'll be getting in a workout. I wish I had visited a bit later to get a sunset/night shot, but we were a bit irritable because of the sweat (went in the summer) and just wanted to go back down. We didn't go to Taipei 101 because it was pricey and we were getting a beautiful view from Elephant Mountain which also included the tower, but I'm sure that's a great vantage point as well. If you want just the view, when the trail forks, take the right stairs.

ImageTaipei - View from Elephant Mountain by S K, on Flickr

There are also some other trails on the opposite end of the city, that may be worth checking out if you have time.

Let me know if you have any questions about Taipei. I absolutely loved my time there and it was definitely a hidden gem on my Asia travels.
9 years ago, I spent a week in Taipei during the summer and the heat was intense. Fortunately I'll be going back in about two weeks. I expect the weather to be a lot more mild.