Art and Photography

Your favourite vantage points in Hong Kong and Taipei?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 2:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR

Your favourite vantage points in Hong Kong and Taipei?

Looking for some suggestions here.

Thanks.
14 replies
Apr 10, 2012
867 posts
370 upvotes
For Taipei, definitely visit Elephant Mountain. Bring some bottled water with you beforehand, because there are a ton of uneven stairs, so you'll be getting in a workout. I wish I had visited a bit later to get a sunset/night shot, but we were a bit irritable because of the sweat (went in the summer) and just wanted to go back down. We didn't go to Taipei 101 because it was pricey and we were getting a beautiful view from Elephant Mountain which also included the tower, but I'm sure that's a great vantage point as well. If you want just the view, when the trail forks, take the right stairs.

ImageTaipei - View from Elephant Mountain by S K, on Flickr

There are also some other trails on the opposite end of the city, that may be worth checking out if you have time.

Let me know if you have any questions about Taipei. I absolutely loved my time there and it was definitely a hidden gem on my Asia travels.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3928 posts
434 upvotes
HK and Taipei were some of my first attempts at cityscape time-lapse and they're still some of my favourite

for HK skip the Gallery at the Peak, instead go follow this side-path for less people, and free of course
http://blog.bigfoottour.com/victoria-peak-hong-kong/

for Taipei, it's a short walk up Elephant Mountain (think Mont Royal behind McGill in Montreal) but you'll likely be sweating bullets by first platform, if going after May. Second platform is supposedly the best but you have to go hours in advance if you want sunset shots. I used to love going there but now it gets crazy busy ever since they built a MRT station near it.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3003 posts
309 upvotes
I am actually going to HK in a couple of weeks. Definitely going to hit up Braemar Hill and Lion Rock.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
shahram0 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 12:37 pm
For Taipei, definitely visit Elephant Mountain. Bring some bottled water with you beforehand, because there are a ton of uneven stairs, so you'll be getting in a workout. I wish I had visited a bit later to get a sunset/night shot, but we were a bit irritable because of the sweat (went in the summer) and just wanted to go back down. We didn't go to Taipei 101 because it was pricey and we were getting a beautiful view from Elephant Mountain which also included the tower, but I'm sure that's a great vantage point as well. If you want just the view, when the trail forks, take the right stairs.

ImageTaipei - View from Elephant Mountain by S K, on Flickr

There are also some other trails on the opposite end of the city, that may be worth checking out if you have time.

Let me know if you have any questions about Taipei. I absolutely loved my time there and it was definitely a hidden gem on my Asia travels.
9 years ago, I spent a week in Taipei during the summer and the heat was intense. Fortunately I'll be going back in about two weeks. I expect the weather to be a lot more mild.
Nov 29, 2017
950 posts
699 upvotes
Kowloon Avenue of the stars & star ferry for day and night pics of Hong Kong harbor
Last edited by Omakase on Feb 23rd, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3928 posts
434 upvotes
just did Tiger Mountain in Taipei last week
great panoramic city view (assuming clear day without smog drifting from China)
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3938 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 4:22 pm
just did Tiger Mountain in Taipei last week
great panoramic city view (assuming clear day without smog drifting from China)
Anyone ever use glass suction cup tripods? To shoot out of the tall high rises?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3003 posts
309 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 8:45 pm
I've used a Lens Skirt, it is pretty good but extreme angles are tough to do shooting wide.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18417 posts
291 upvotes
YVR
rebel_rfd wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 8:45 pm
You got an example of one? I tried shooting out of Taipei 101 a decade ago, but reflections made it very difficult to get anything decent. Unfortunately no tripods are allowed up in the viewing platform.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3928 posts
434 upvotes
doesn't seem worth it to bring unless you're visiting a few observatories on your trip
101 view is overrated (Taipei is a flat basin, not many other tall buildings), I went up during sunset too, I think it's more worthwhile to try to capture the building's lotus shape, but not taking the image from the building itself
one of these days I hope to return during NYE
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3938 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 6:08 pm
You got an example of one? I tried shooting out of Taipei 101 a decade ago, but reflections made it very difficult to get anything decent. Unfortunately no tripods are allowed up in the viewing platform.
Not as of yet, but was considering picking up the suction mount with a lens skirt.
It's a also a lot more subtle to setup in an elevator than a tripod that's a trip hazard.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11394 posts
976 upvotes
I found a place in Taipei for quick and dirty night shots if you don't want to venture too far out just to take pictures. This is on one of those pedestrian bridges in downtown, but I can't recall which one exactly. I took this shot without a tripod. The walkway has an electrical box on a light pole that you can set your camera on, and you can angle your camera using some creativity. Of course, ideally you'd want to use a tripod, but this is for those moments where you're just walking around on the street without any gear and still want to take a decent photo.

The only caveat is you need a pretty wide lens. If you check the EXIF here, it was shot at 10mm (1.6x crop).

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3928 posts
434 upvotes
it's a block away at the world trade center
Russell wrote:

Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11394 posts
976 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 3:02 am
it's a block away at the world trade center
Sounds about right. I was walking toward Taipei 101 when I saw the bridge, so I just randomly decided to go up to take a look. There were some other guys there trying to take this shot. I suggested they use the electrical box like I did because it's at a good height, but I guess they were afraid of dropping their cameras onto the street or something.