• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2010 9:15 am
Tags:
None
Nov 28, 2010
5 posts
Kitchener

Your HDTV does not support HDCP - connection with DVD Recorder

I am Rogers customer using Cisco 4642HD cable box and if I am watching program on HDTV Samsung LN40C530 there are no issues at all. However when I try to record something with Sony RDR GX350 DVD recorder I can record program - but when I try to watch it - it comes out with error message (I think from Rogers since error message box is the same color as the Guide box that Rogers has) Your HDTV does not support HDCP etc etc. I can hear sound but there are no picture - or actually it comes with that error message.
I am connecting Cisco HD cable box directly with DVD recorder through composite cables and then going out from DVD Recorder to the HDTV with component cables (or even with HDMI cable) - auido is connected through digital auido cable directly to the AV receiver.
Can you help? :(
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6303 posts
474 upvotes
Victoria
HDCP is a copy protection things for digital signals like HDMI or DVI cables.

I don't get why it wouldn't let you record if your outputting from your cable box on analog cables? Unless the boxset itself doesn't support analog output?
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
5 posts
Kitchener
If yhe boxset does not support analog out why would they have composite output in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5379 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Your cable box is complaining about not having detecting an HDCP device. The composite signal from the cable box is basically a scale-down signal of your HD signal (or so I think). Is the HDMI port of the cable box hooked up to anything?

I could be mistaken but I think you can set the video output of the cable box to not go through HDMI.
There's a sucker born every minute.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
5 posts
Kitchener
Video output from cable box is going through composite cables (yellow,white red), I cannot use HDMI output even if i want to since I do not have HDMI input on DVD recorder - I have only HDMI output on DVD Recorder.

BTW
I am not trying to record HD programming - just regular digital channels (since all of them are digital - that is what they say)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4018 posts
274 upvotes
When you record, how is the cable box connected to TV? Anyway, try connecting the box to TV through component and, simultaneously to the recorder by either composite or antenna cable. It works for me - but I have the SA box.
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
5 posts
Kitchener
Cable Box is connected to the TV through Yamaha AV Receiver - with HDMI cables all the way. Cable Box output is HDMI , receiver input is HDMI and receiver output is HDMI, TV input is HDMI.
I am not sure how is that relevant to the problem with DVD recorder - i have cable box directly connected to the DVD recorder(composite) and then direct DVD recorder to the TV(component).
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4018 posts
274 upvotes
Alek123 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 3:38 pm
Cable Box is connected to the TV through Yamaha AV Receiver - with HDMI cables all the way. Cable Box output is HDMI , receiver input is HDMI and receiver output is HDMI, TV input is HDMI.
I am not sure how is that relevant to the problem with DVD recorder - i have cable box directly connected to the DVD recorder(composite) and then direct DVD recorder to the TV(component).
My box knows when it's connected to a live HDTV on HDMI and doesn't allow any other output (actually I see the error message that you see on other outputs). However when no HDMI connection I can use other outputs. So try first just unplugging the HDMI when you record on composite.The method I described allows you to see in HD if desired, even if you can record in SD only
[OP]
Nov 28, 2010
5 posts
Kitchener
So you mean unplug HDMI cable from TV and then try it with recording and then when I want to watch it I will plug in HDMI even I though I really do not ned at that point since connection is through component cables
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4018 posts
274 upvotes
Alek123 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 3:53 pm
So you mean unplug HDMI cable from TV and then try it with recording and then when I want to watch it I will plug in HDMI even I though I really do not ned at that point since connection is through component cables
No, unplug HDMI box cable from AV receiver. You said the box is connected by HDMI through AVR, not directly to TV.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
google HDFURY.
that will strip the hdcp security and allow you to connect to anything not hdcp compliant.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
I think you're mistaking the problem here. It's probably on record, not on playback.

HDCP guarantees that there's an end-to-end secure channel between the source and the TV over HDMI so that they video can't be recorded (or it did before the HDCP secret keys were leaked recently). Most digital cable/sat receivers simultaneously output a scaled-down SD version of the program on the analog outputs which can be recorded. But increasingly many of them are enforcing a policy of preventing analog recording too by turning off the analog outputs our outputting a "Sorry, can't record" picture on the analog outputs if the HD source program is marked "do not copy". That's probably what has happened to you. The problem is not on playback, the problem is that your recorder has recorded the picture that was output by your receiver, i.e., the "no HDCP" message.
× < >