• Jun 13th, 2011 5:40 am
Tags:
None
5 replies
Jan 30, 2011
106 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I´ve only one very important difference. Puppy (dog) is more ideal to the outdooor surroundings (house). On the other hand, kitten (cat) is more ideal to the indoor surroundings (flat). It´s simply, but same true.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
ILT wrote: I´ve only one very important difference. Puppy (dog) is more ideal to the outdooor surroundings (house). On the other hand, kitten (cat) is more ideal to the indoor surroundings (flat). It´s simply, but same true.

Are you saying that dogs are more outside animals than cats? If so, I couldn't disagree more. Cats can live their entire lives outside and be just fine. While dogs can adapt to outside environments, dogs need the socialization with people and want to be inside. Dogs crave attention from people. Locking them up outside their whole lives is just cruel.
Mar 23, 2004
332 posts
6 upvotes
I have both. I have 1 dog and 2 cats. From what I can see, the cats are way less work than the dog. However, if a dog is well trained, then it makes your life a lot easier. Contrary to common belief, both cats and dogs can be cuddly and affectionate. Depends on personality. But it really depends on your lifestyle and what you want out of a pet.

Dogs
-depending on breed, need to be walked..sometimes at least twice a day
-can eat once a day
-can be trained with obedience classes
-depending on situation, may have separation anxiety probs which might turn into destructive behavior..ie: you coming home to turn up shoes, pee/poo accidents around the house etc
-if brought up incorrectly, might be insecure and develop biting probs.

Cats
-no need to be walked, in fact, it's safer to have them be indoor cats
-having litterboxes in the house and cleaning them up
-cats have small stomachs so should be eating at the least twice a day
-can be trained but seems to choose the times WHEN they actually act on your command
-have to consider their claws. either teach them to use the scratch posts provided or use soft claws to cover them. declawing increases the risks of litterbox probs or biting probs
-you'll have no unconquered territory in your house. say goodbye to such behavior as leaving food on counters, letting the end of the toilet paper to dangle, leaving the toilet seat up
-cats can be content in a small living quarters such as a condo. in fact when frightened, putting a cat in a small room such as a bathroom, has a calming effect. A dog would prefer more room to exercise.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Are you saying that dogs are more outside animals than cats? If so, I couldn't disagree more. Cats can live their entire lives outside and be just fine. While dogs can adapt to outside environments, dogs need the socialization with people and want to be inside. Dogs crave attention from people. Locking them up outside their whole lives is just cruel.

I think ILT means that a cat can live its entire life without ever having the need going outside, since it doesn't need to be walked and is litter trained. Some dogs can be litter trained, but they also have a ton of energy and need daily walkings.
Jan 30, 2011
91 posts
1 upvote
Really nice view! "Depends on personality". I think this idea is the best for this situation.
penipitcher wrote: I have both. I have 1 dog and 2 cats. From what I can see, the cats are way less work than the dog. However, if a dog is well trained, then it makes your life a lot easier. Contrary to common belief, both cats and dogs can be cuddly and affectionate. Depends on personality. But it really depends on your lifestyle and what you want out of a pet.

Dogs
-depending on breed, need to be walked..sometimes at least twice a day
-can eat once a day
-can be trained with obedience classes
-depending on situation, may have separation anxiety probs which might turn into destructive behavior..ie: you coming home to turn up shoes, pee/poo accidents around the house etc
-if brought up incorrectly, might be insecure and develop biting probs.

Cats
-no need to be walked, in fact, it's safer to have them be indoor cats
-having litterboxes in the house and cleaning them up
-cats have small stomachs so should be eating at the least twice a day
-can be trained but seems to choose the times WHEN they actually act on your command
-have to consider their claws. either teach them to use the scratch posts provided or use soft claws to cover them. declawing increases the risks of litterbox probs or biting probs
-you'll have no unconquered territory in your house. say goodbye to such behavior as leaving food on counters, letting the end of the toilet paper to dangle, leaving the toilet seat up
-cats can be content in a small living quarters such as a condo. in fact when frightened, putting a cat in a small room such as a bathroom, has a calming effect. A dog would prefer more room to exercise.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)