[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41908 posts
5466 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Your opinion on robot vacuums?

What do you think of robot vacuums?
Are they worth it? Or just a novelty type of electronic with marginal improvements to quality of life...

No carpets in my home. But the thought of never having to vacuum (or less often) is interesting...
34 replies
Oct 8, 2010
151 posts
34 upvotes
Great for me because I have a dog and he sheds everyday. With the Dyson handheld it takes up to 15 minutes out of my day and I would prefer to do it twice a day. If I have guests coming over, I can activate the robot from my cell phone and the place will be clean in less than an hour. So the robot is great for hairs and saving me at least 3 hours a week.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19192 posts
2410 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I got a cheapie one from Amazon on Prime days and I like it a lot. The only real issue is it depends on how tidy of a person you are and if it'll go under your chairs. My 4 year is not great at putting his toys away so I have to make sure to pick up before I turn it on and my dining room chairs are too low so the vacuum gets stuck under them so I have to put them up first. Kind of annoying, but it's also great to put it on before I go out for a few hours and coming home with everything done.

Wish my house was tidy enough that I could just put it on a schedule though.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
701 upvotes
Waterloo
UrbanPoet wrote: What do you think of robot vacuums?
Are they worth it? Or just a novelty type of electronic with marginal improvements to quality of life...

No carpets in my home. But the thought of never having to vacuum (or less often) is interesting...
A Novelty would be 3D TV or folding smartphones.

Robot vacuums have been around for almost 10 years now and getting better with each passing year.
If I was buying one now i would buy the Roomba with Automatic dirt disposal. ( Roomba® i7+ robot ). Or atleast a roomba with smart room navigation. I realise Roombas are more expensive than the noname brands, but really no one else is really in the game.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4393 posts
866 upvotes
I have a 2 year old, so they're a no go (toys, general mess).

I'm also not sure how powerful they'd be. I have a 1200w corded Miele that will sometimes struggle in difficult areas and requires multiple passes. Do I need a $600 robot vacuum, if I still need to go over it again with my Miele? It can't go baseboard or other trim pieces, so meh.

Not to mention, vacuuming is like a 10 minute chore, twice a week. It's not exactly saving you a ton of time.
Let's hug it out
Mar 22, 2017
780 posts
690 upvotes
They are great if:

You mostly have a large, flat living area, and other rooms don't require frequent cleaning.
You are very tidy in terms of clutter, as clutter will prevent the robot from cleaning properly and may result in it getting stuck.
Your pets won't attack it while it's operating.
You don't have a lot of structural places for it to get stuck (shag carpets, low openings, etc)

They are bad if:

You have a multilevel home with various levels all being used regularly, requiring cleaning.
You tend to have clutter.

Personally I don't have one as I have three levels to my place, and all three require cleaning at roughly the same frequency. A robot vacuum can only clean one level, a single step will stop it - if the vacuum is already out it takes minimal time to clean one more level, and the canister vac (Miele) does a better job than the robot vac. I don't have pets, so I can clean once a week and the house stays clean.
May 21, 2015
758 posts
358 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I tried two Roombas and a Hoover and none could handle long dog hair without the brushrolls and more specifically the wheels getting bogged down when the dog hair wrapped around them.. all went back
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19500 posts
4649 upvotes
Thornhill
Two cats and my gf has thick hay hair so the Shark robot works well on hard floor over 800 sq ft. Previously I had a 6 year old Roomba that also works great.

It helps a lot, also keeps my floors clean cause I make sure not to leave any crap on the floor that can get stuck. It got me off my butt to wire manage and hide all my wires.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14063 posts
2204 upvotes
Just get the wife/gf to do it. It is a lot cheaper.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
701 upvotes
Waterloo
Beneful1 wrote: I tried two Roombas and a Hoover and none could handle long dog hair without the brushrolls and more specifically the wheels getting bogged down when the dog hair wrapped around them.. all went back
this is true , you need to follow the maintenance schedule to clean it. however it takes like 5 minutes every couple of months or so . I prolly do it like once in six months. its easy enough to take the rollers out and get the debris out.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1526 posts
290 upvotes
Vancouver
They are convenient. It’s nice that you can control it remotely and schedule it so it can vacuum every day for me while I’m at work.

When buying one people should pay attention to the suction power they have.
Oct 17, 2002
768 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
I have 'dumb' robo vacuum, but find it useful.
I still vacuum the house once a week with the big dyson upright, but I find there's dust in the bedroom floors by mid week. So I just use the robo in each of the bedrooms and let them go for 30-60 min.

Overkill? sure, but I like a spotless and clean house.
Mar 24, 2015
972 posts
343 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We have a Shark and it's great especially for the places that are hard to reach like our king size bed and the other beds that are a bit too low for any standard vacuum. My husband runs it every week upstairs as we have carpet.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11028 posts
5414 upvotes
Brampton
eldiablo wrote: Just get the wife/gf to do it. It is a lot cheaper.
Nah man
$200 for a cheap one from Amazon vs half my shit if it breaks down.

Got 1 per floor. I wouldn't want to go back to no Robovac. Even a cheap one leaves the floors clean enough vs vacuuming once a week.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2270 posts
792 upvotes
Mississauga
I have two Roborock S5 and will never go back to regular vacuuming. My Dyson is collecting dust somewhere because I have not used it in a while.

Pick up my 1st Roborock in 2018 for my 1st floor but got tired of hauling up to the 2nd floor occasionally so I picked up another in early 2019. For my 2nd floor, I used to start it manually and alternate which bedroom to clean but recently moved this unit to the basement and set a schedule.
Each unit cleans about 4-5 times a week, I set a schedule to run at 8:30pm and can enable no go areas for things like Christmas trees. Mine can climb and vacuum plush rugs, it is also lidar equipped so can work in a dark rooms.

A bonus for us is the kids know the vacuum runs nightly so they now do a good job clearing up their clutter once they are done in the basement.