Food & Drink

Your opinons on the Haagen Dazs spirit ice cream?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 12:51 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1927 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto

Your opinons on the Haagen Dazs spirit ice cream?

That's not a knife!
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7896 posts
950 upvotes
Markham
Don't buy the lime vodka. I haven't try others yet... I have to finish the damn lime vodka first.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1927 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
MP3_SKY wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 9:18 pm
Don't buy the lime vodka. I haven't try others yet... I have to finish the damn lime vodka first.
although it doesn't seem to be part of the line but I have tried the irish cream. It's quite delicious
That's not a knife!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6223 posts
1111 upvotes
Have tried the Rum Vanilla Caramel Blondie and Irish Cream, Coffee and Biscotti, can still say I have never tried a Haagen Dasz flavour that was not sublime. They are masters of ice cream.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5234 posts
1013 upvotes
Montreal
The vodka key lime pie is great if you like lime. The Irish cream coffee & biscotti is very good. The rum vanilla caramel blondie is OK but my least favourite of the three I've tried so far.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
3451 posts
163 upvotes
I love the Rum & Ginger cookie; its one of my favourite ice creams out there. The whisky chocolate was pretty good too.

I wish they'd make a spirit version of my favourite one (HD Gelato Limoncello).
Apr 20, 2015
207 posts
28 upvotes
Brampton, ON
whisky chocolate is really good, favourite one. also tried the rum and caramel
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2117 posts
219 upvotes
Mississauga
F'n delicious!!!! Thats all I am going to say.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9885 posts
912 upvotes
Not all of them, but some of these used a lot of ingredients which balloned the ingredients list. Nothing terrible like most "ice cream" out on the market, but also not their typical 5 items in the ingredients. Personally, I didn't like them. I tried the Irish Cream and the Rum Ginger. Flavor was good... texture was meh. Both were really soft... I suspect the added ingredients contributed to it being much softer than Haagen Dazs normally is.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
3132 posts
724 upvotes
My main reason for buying HD ice cream in the first place was the ingredients list. Most, if not all, ingredients are wholesome and not all the garbage you will find in other ice cream including guar, etc. If the spirit ice creams contain more junk, I won't bother.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6223 posts
1111 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 10:51 am
I tried the Irish Cream and the Rum Ginger. Flavor was good... texture was meh. Both were really soft... I suspect the added ingredients contributed to it being much softer than Haagen Dazs normally is.
I noticed they were really soft!! I thought it was my freezer.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9885 posts
912 upvotes
choclover wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:09 am
My main reason for buying HD ice cream in the first place was the ingredients list. Most, if not all, ingredients are wholesome and not all the garbage you will find in other ice cream including guar, etc. If the spirit ice creams contain more junk, I won't bother.
So it's not the gun guar junk, but it does look much more complex:

What I typically expect to see with Haagen Dazs: Coffee Ice Cream Ingredients: Cream, concentrated skim milk, sugar, liquid egg yolk, instant brazilian coffee. 5 ingredients.

What some of these Spirits ingredients look like: RUM Ginger Cookie Ingredients: Ice cream (cream, sugar, concentrated skim milk, milk protein concentrate, corn syrup, glucose solids, egg yolks, brown sugar, water, rum, corn starch, salt, molasses, spices, flavour, apple extract [for colour]), ginger cookie pieces (sugar, coconut oil, wheat flour, butter, molasses, brown sugar, ginger, eggs, baking soda, salt, spices, flavour [soy]).

Seems like more sugar and also things like milk protein, corn syrups, glucose solids... I'm no expert in terms of nutrition, but it tasted fine, just too soft for my taste.

And just for a frame of reference... Breyers: INGREDIENTS: MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SUGAR, WATER, GLUCOSE, COCONUT OIL, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOUR, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, VEGETABLE GUMS (GUAR, CAROB BEAN), CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL COLOUR.

Oils, glycerides, gums, carrageenan... these are things I don't want to see in my ice cream.
May 15, 2013
25 posts
6 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Ginger Cookie > Blondie > all the other ones. I generally don't like "stuff" in my icecream, but ginger cookie rocks.
Aug 18, 2013
289 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
Bought the Irish Creme.. it is softer than the regular Haagen Dazs ice cream thanks to the alcohol (or at least I hope it's the alcohol!). Alcohol doesn't freeze as well so that usually softens the ice cream. Taste wise it is alright but not mind blowing. Probably won't buy it again, but that's cause I make it at home with my gf : )
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2187 posts
189 upvotes
Those of you who rag on having guar/carob gums, etc in ice cream have no clue how food science works and what those ingredients are. Sure Breyers uses them to cheapen ice cream but
for things like sorbet you absolutely have to have them unless you like eating icy popsicles.