Food & Drink

Your opinons on the Haagen Dazs spirit ice cream?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 12:51 am
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
shutterbug wrote:
Aug 26th, 2017 2:46 pm
Those of you who rag on having guar/carob gums, etc in ice cream have no clue how food science works and what those ingredients are. Sure Breyers uses them to cheapen ice cream but
for things like sorbet you absolutely have to have them unless you like eating icy popsicles.
So because gumming agents aren't exclusively used for ice cream, I know nothing about food science? What kind of moron logic is that? Why bring up sorbet when this thread is about ice cream? But since you did... did you know that sorbet doesn't absolutely need gum gar? It's been happening for centuries.

Although it seems obvious, maybe I just need to be more specific... Oils, glycerides, gums, carrageenan... these are things I don't want to see in my ice cream because it messes with the flavor and texture.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
20849 posts
2021 upvotes
Had the rum and chocolate one..It did have taste of rum but where's the alcohol hit??
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5241 posts
1018 upvotes
Montreal
george__ wrote:
Aug 27th, 2017 1:05 pm
Had the rum and chocolate one..It did have taste of rum but where's the alcohol hit??
There's less than 1% alcohol per pint.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4950 posts
781 upvotes
I'm grumpy and annoyed that they introduced these Spirit flavours but won't bring back their classic Rum Raisin to Canada.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9895 posts
918 upvotes
Good as time as any to buy the Spirit flavors. A few other grocers have it at $3.99, but I think Food Basics is cheapest at $3.88:

Regular flavors also at the same price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7999 posts
434 upvotes
Vancouver
Loblaws and marketplace IGA have these at $3.99 this week :)
Apr 23, 2014
764 posts
115 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
The line comes in five flavors: Rum Vanilla Caramel Blondie, Whiskey Chocolate Truffle, Irish Cream Coffee & Biscotti, Vodka Key Lime Pie, and Rum Ginger Cookie. The only caveat, for U.S. consumers, is the line is currently exclusively available in Canada. ..only in Canada you say! Have you tried these and which is your fav.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2422 posts
427 upvotes
Ottawa
I tried the Irish Cream Coffee & Biscotti, and it tastes quite sweet - especially with the Biscotti tasting like cookie dough in ice cream.

Also, as someone else pointed in another thread, these are 25mL less than the regular containers.

475mL vs 500mL
Apr 23, 2014
764 posts
115 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I thought I had seen that thread awhile back, and I was looking for it, but it didn't turn up when I did a search. I got an offer from pcplus that basically nets out to 3.50 each if I buy two. I"m not impressed that it is softer than the regular ice cream. and of course they shave off an extra 25 ml. I don't know why they had to go and do that, afterall it sounds like they already diluted it. but for the price I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1686 posts
497 upvotes
Penrose wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:00 pm
The line comes in five flavors: Rum Vanilla Caramel Blondie, Whiskey Chocolate Truffle, Irish Cream Coffee & Biscotti, Vodka Key Lime Pie, and Rum Ginger Cookie. The only caveat, for U.S. consumers, is the line is currently exclusively available in Canada. ..only in Canada you say! Have you tried these and which is your fav.
Out of whiskey, irish cream, vodka key lime, I would say the key lime tastes like minced lime pie and was quite good. I like the rum vanilla caramel blondie as they give you 2 tablespoons worth of flowing caramel. But after you eat the caramel the rest of it was mediocre. I would probably take the key lime