Computers & Electronics

"Your PC is Offline please sign in with last password used" please help no connection

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 13th, 2013 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie

"Your PC is Offline please sign in with last password used" please help no connection

Hi guys, my router died or whatever and we had to get a new one. Everything is running fine but when I turn on my laptop running windows 8 it keeps telling me "your pc is offline please sign in with the last password used on this pc".

It won't let me do that though because obviously its not hooked up to the new wifi, it wont let me get past that page to actually set it up.

I've googled and many people have this issue, but it seems a lot of people are just wiping their computers, which I dont want to do.

Is there any way to get past that screen so I can connect to the new network? And is there a way to set up windows 8 so I can log in offline/not use my live account to get in my pc?

Thanks in advance :)
9 replies
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
Using your microsoft account's password as normal should allow it to log in. All that means is if you changed your microsoft account's password, it won't have that new password yet as it is offline.

You could connect it via ethernet to your router though just temporarily if you need to connect it to the internet.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
Plug the PC in directly using an Ethernet cable? Might work. Can't say otherwise though, I don't usually use Windows 8, and back when I did, I didn't link it to a Live account at all.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
I was hoping to do it without a cable lol but I guess thats the only way.

I put in the password and it just keeps saying the same thing, I went in on another computer and removed the laptop from the trusted pc setting in my live account and it still wont let me in.

I dunno, when I set up the laptop it made it seem like I HAD to connect it to my live account :(
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Oh and I never changed the live accounts password. The only thing thats changed is the whole wifi thing. If it would just let me open the network scan thing and I could connect to the new wifi then it could connect to my live account. Right now the laptop has no internet access.

Im slightly computer illiterate, sorry if im not making any sense :( lol
Sep 23, 2012
245 posts
20 upvotes
Ottawa
One option obviously is to use the same settings on your new router as before - same ssid, password, security etc.

That should let your laptop connect as before since it will appear to be a known network.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
4547 posts
1045 upvotes
London
luvsrfd wrote: One option obviously is to use the same settings on your new router as before - same ssid, password, security etc.

That should let your laptop connect as before since it will appear to be a known network.
Possibly, but your laptop usually also detects the BSSID of your router, so it will detect it as a new network even with the same security settings because it's a different device.

And OP, when setting up your laptop there's an option somewhere to setup an offline login like with Windows 7. Might be under Advanced or something.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Yeah I definitely intend to do that when I finally get back on. Geez this is annoying
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
chickibum wrote: I was hoping to do it without a cable lol but I guess thats the only way.

I put in the password and it just keeps saying the same thing, I went in on another computer and removed the laptop from the trusted pc setting in my live account and it still wont let me in.

I dunno, when I set up the laptop it made it seem like I HAD to connect it to my live account :(
Generally, that is NOT a smart thing to do.

You want to authorize/de-authorize a PC while connected to the authorizing service. The reason is that certain settings/changes are made at the same time in the PC/User settings.

After this, the PC might be in no man's land. The PC thinks it thinks, it needs to check with the MS servers, however the MS servers will ignore PC. (ie. OP might of created another problem, rather than solving it.)
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2010
1722 posts
90 upvotes
Barrie
Crap. I was just so irritated at that point I thought if I removed that account it would let me in while the computers offline :(

I guess I'll have to see what happens when I connect it with a cable, unless anyone has any other ideas?

:(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)