Investing

Your portfolio Top performance stock (Currently held)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 10:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
HCG.TO at mid 25
FN.TO at mid 23
Some of my Air Canada avg. at $8.00. (diluted though from some purchases made at $13~$14 last year :facepalm: )

I tend to sell winners quickly though, so I don't have too many long term holders that have seen large runups.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Gungnir wrote: I have shares in RY.to which I bought in 98 which after splits are up almost 1000% not including dividends.

This is not to brag or try to convince people I have some great knowledge, but to illustrate the power of long term wealth building.
I always think about this and think about so much lost opportunity.
I made my first investment around 1989.
I have a portfolio worth about 60k now.
If I had just continually bought RY with all the money I ever invested I would be very wealthy. Moreso if I had never taken up smoking, spent 9 years on university, or who knows how much money spent needlessly on things in life (you know, like that t-shirt for $20 I never wore, etc.). If that had all just been poured into a good consistent investment plan, I have no doubt I'd be a millionaire, right now, as long as I had remained gainfully employed through that whole time.

oh and I'm not 40 yet.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2014
2348 posts
1840 upvotes
Ontario
xgbsSS wrote: HCG.TO at mid 25
FN.TO at mid 23
Some of my Air Canada avg. at $8.00. (diluted though from some purchases made at $13~$14 last year :facepalm: )

I tend to sell winners quickly though, so I don't have too many long term holders that have seen large runups.
This is also one of my biggest flaws as an investor. Working at it but I've left a LOT of money on the table taking a profit too soon
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
6582 posts
9090 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
llpresident wrote: This is also one of my biggest flaws as an investor. Working at it but I've left a LOT of money on the table taking a profit too soon
I wouldn't say it's a flaw... more-so what your main purpose of buying it is. I tend to sell trades quickly. Sure I may sell too soon, but if I still book 10-30% profit on a trade, I am not in anyway hurting. Meanwhile, my ETFs or solid stocks are long term so those I hold longer. My purchases of Canadian mortgage providers are "riskier" in a sense of the overall economy. I bought them because I felt they were overly punished with the new mortgage rule announcement. I am now considering selling because while I thought they were overly punished, they have recovered quickly and I believe they may now have headwind in this year, so there is nothing wrong with me booking a profit, even though it is early and I may lose out on higher gains.
Support your local Credit Union!

RRSP where you can deposit with a Credit Card, earn rewards investing!
RFD Saskatchewan Pension Plan
Aug 17, 2008
513 posts
234 upvotes
Quebec
My best in % in Nemaska lithium (NMX) Bought 0.15, currently 1.30 but i only have 20 % remaining of my initial trade

Osisko mining (OSK) Bought at 1.20 , currently 2.80,
Feb 27, 2013
275 posts
368 upvotes
Calgary
Currently held
My top 3 Marijuana:
LXX: 61.39%
ATT: 51.74%
MJN: 18.10%

Top 3 (non-marijuana):
EFN/ECN: 18.31% (Element split into 2 publicly traded companies so I bought EFN and got ECN for free, therefore I combine both in my return calculation)
TWM: 9.26%
BTE: 8.66%

Sold in last 12 months:
I sold a lot of positions in the last 12 months including (all holding periods returns were under 12 months):
BBD: 54.91%
TCW: 46.81%
SES: 31.58%
GEI: 29.37%
APA: 29.23%
ACM: 28.23%
BHI: 27.64%
MTL: 25.07%
MEG: 20.47%

You'll notice these are all around 30%, that's my target return when I long a position even though the majority of these continued to climb after my sell.

For Marijuana I also closed returns of:
OGI: 605.64%
EMH: 553.15%
CGC: 513.49%
APH: 377.55%
ACB: 367.05%

With these I tried to time the market based on peak speculation.
~Let your actions reflect your desires
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
8137 posts
770 upvotes
hameljon wrote: Currently held
My top 3 Marijuana:
LXX: 61.39%
ATT: 51.74%
MJN: 18.10%

Top 3 (non-marijuana):
EFN/ECN: 18.31% (Element split into 2 publicly traded companies so I bought EFN and got ECN for free, therefore I combine both in my return calculation)
TWM: 9.26%
BTE: 8.66%

Sold in last 12 months:
I sold a lot of positions in the last 12 months including (all holding periods returns were under 12 months):
BBD: 54.91%
TCW: 46.81%
SES: 31.58%
GEI: 29.37%
APA: 29.23%
ACM: 28.23%
BHI: 27.64%
MTL: 25.07%
MEG: 20.47%

You'll notice these are all around 30%, that's my target return when I long a position even though the majority of these continued to climb after my sell.

For Marijuana I also closed returns of:
OGI: 605.64%
EMH: 553.15%
CGC: 513.49%
APH: 377.55%
ACB: 367.05%

With these I tried to time the market based on peak speculation.
That's a good track record. What clues you in to buy a particular stock? And which ones have the most promise for you right now, but are just starting their climb?
hi!
Feb 27, 2013
275 posts
368 upvotes
Calgary
masterhapposai wrote: That's a good track record. What clues you in to buy a particular stock? And which ones have the most promise for you right now, but are just starting their climb?
Thanks, I'd gander a lot of it was luck in all honesty. The breadth of my portfolio is actually in ETFs and some mutual funds I haven't transferred yet, but with these picks I had two major views.

1) As you can see, with the exception of BBD, all the tickers I listed can be traced to Oil and Gas. It was my view that the industry took a huge directional hit during the recent recession causing some companies to be undervalued. I took a fundamental analysis approach and looked for companies that I felt were either diversified away from the areas that were hit the hardest (oil field services, oil sands and conventional assets) and/or had strong balance sheets with enough capacity to accelerate growth out of the trough stage of the cycle. Similarly bombardier, the exception to oil and gas, also appeared undervalued.

2) My second view upon Trudeau's 4/20/2016 announcement was that marijuana was on its way to becoming a new kind of commodity for Canada, so I figured get in early. I strapped in for a 2+ year anticipated hold, what happened next was a miracle fluke with uneducated investors inflating stock values. When prices were shooting up drastically in a matter of the days I knew we were approaching a mini-bubble as there was no merit for it, so I sold at/near what I thought was the peak. Sure enough things declined shortly after. I have since re-bought after a rebalance period, although the majority of the sector is still overpriced I think speculation will be keeping it high until at least the next major announcement regarding legalization.

Right now I'm quite optimistic about WSP Global, Tidewater Midstream and Activision Blizzard from a fundamental perspective. Baytex still has some good room to move this year as well. In my previous work role I had to review financial statements which made finding companies easy, but I have since switched roles and don't have as much time for it, so my watchlist is much thinner. Also as I initially said it was kind of luck with the timing of the cycle and the launch of the marijuana industry. I'll be going back to passive investing for the majority this year until I see another big opportunity.
Dec 8, 2013
98 posts
31 upvotes
This thread had me curious so I had to look. Top gainer currently holding is BP.UN, up 42%. I would probably harvest gains if it wasn't in a taxable account and while still yielding 6%. Congrats to the guys/gals who have the big marijuana gains...I didn't have the brass to buy in.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
ENF +40%

Had a couple 100%+ this year but sold em all
May 27, 2007
423 posts
36 upvotes
I tossed 6K into a private company this summer I've seen offers for my shares as high as 9 to 10K. So, that would be my best performer.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
ghost416 wrote: I tossed 6K into a private company this summer I've seen offers for my shares as high as 9 to 10K. So, that would be my best performer.
How did you invest in that?
Feb 17, 2012
660 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
TCK.B: 486% but at its highest was over 600%
BBD.B: 315%
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5735 posts
1585 upvotes
Montreal
CCL.B is my top holding by far. I hope ATD.B makes the list by this time next year as it's very fairly valued.
Last edited by cn_habs on Jan 8th, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 27, 2013
275 posts
368 upvotes
Calgary
Good job! I managed to get a smaller piece of Bombardier but was disappointed to miss the boat on Teck (funds were tied up in other positions), definitely my biggest miss of the year as I had full intention to buy it.
Feb 17, 2012
660 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
hameljon wrote: Good job! I managed to get a smaller piece of Bombardier but was disappointed to miss the boat on Teck (funds were tied up in other positions), definitely my biggest miss of the year as I had full intention to buy it.
I didnt even know about Teck Resources until one day i clicked on a link that listed Top 20 Canadian energy and mining projects with price tags in the 10's of Billions. I looked up every company on that list and noticed this company.... It was by far extremely undervalued.
Aug 9, 2015
76 posts
39 upvotes
Parksville, BC
CGC - Bought while it was still Bedrocan. Sitting at 500% up right now!

I'm holding until legalization announcement. If the new system makes sense then it will spike up. If it's bad it will tank... Wait and see for now.
"There's class warfare, all right, but it's my class, the rich class, that's making war, and we're winning. " - Warren Buffett