Careers

Your road to the elusive $50k/yr. The realistic salary discussion thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2023 10:47 am
Tags:
None
Nov 26, 2017
35 posts
11 upvotes
Was working as a notary in Québec (which requires a Law degree + masters). Made about 33-35K a year. Did that for 2 years before moving to the NCR. Applied on multiple jobs in the public service... had multiple exams, a few interviews... 6 months later, I had a one year contract as an AS-04 (64K). Before the end of my first year, they extended me for another 6 months and a month ago, I got my indeterminate letter of offer. With the new CBA + 1 extra year in the position, I am at 70K. However, from what I've seen, getting those entry level jobs really is more about the qualifications and experiences than network.

Once you're in, then sure, the promotions are tainted by who management knows, but to hire people, the processes are rather transparent and merit-based. Also, I found that the turnover rate in the PS is pretty high, which means we consistently have hiring processes going on and new people coming in.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2010
1357 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
What does earning 50k mean to you guys, something to be proud of or ashamed?

I make 55k for 35 hrs in Toronto since I graduated and probably for years to come. Someone here posted my exact job posting. The grass isn’t any greener. 55k isn’t enough, financially it was stressful since I have to save 20k per year. I took a PT job working 15 hours just to boost my income to 65k. It’s helped my quality of life immensely and 50hr work week is easy. One can argue it’s not always about wages but also pension and benefits?

Problem is, I’m under 29 I know a lot of friends who are students 17-20s and they are working SO HARD strongly believing to be executives hoping to earn 70k+ from undergrad. Makes me wonder what the heck I did/doing with my life.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tactical wrote: What does earning 50k mean to you guys, something to be proud of or ashamed?

I make 55k for 35 hrs in Toronto since I graduated and probably for years to come. Someone here posted my exact job posting. The grass isn’t any greener. 55k isn’t enough, financially it was stressful since I have to save 20k per year. I took a PT job working 15 hours just to boost my income to 65k. It’s helped my quality of life immensely and 50hr work week is easy. One can argue it’s not always about wages but also pension and benefits?

Problem is, I’m under 29 I know a lot of friends who are students 17-20s and they are working SO HARD strongly believing to be executives hoping to earn 70k+ from undergrad. Makes me wonder what the heck I did/doing with my life.
This is a positivr thread because its for the majority of people to discuss their career.
Most people make around $50k/yr give or take. Maybe not you or your circle. But the majority of canada makes $50k or less.
This is an outlet for those people to share their experiences.

It shows that the median family income in Canada is $76,000 — generally higher in the west than the east — while the median individual income is just $27,600. That means just as many individuals earn less than $27,600 as earn more. The richest 10 per cent of individuals are making more than $80,400.Sep 11, 2013
Wealthiest 1% earn 10 times more than average Canadian | CBC ...
www.cbc.ca › news › business
Feedback

Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
JuniorMint wrote: Not sure what you guys are disagreeing with but I personally know a few people who work at government call centres (e.g. e.comm 911) that make $55-60k. Well, unless they’re lying about their salaries which could be possible.

They basically take anyone - arts degrees, make-up (fashion) diplomas, etc.
Working as telecommunications operation/911/dispatch is no walk in the park $60k/year job.

The amount of mental baggage you'd have from that job, and having to work 24/7/365 is literally proven to take a toll on your health and longevity. All before taking into account writing off any work/life balance.

911 operators tend to make more than the salary bands posted online because in many areas they're chronically short staffed, and OT adds up fast (talking $60-70/hr OT rates, 2x hourly).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2010
1357 posts
1283 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: This is a positivr thread because its for the majority of people to discuss their career.
Most people make around $50k/yr give or take. Maybe not you or your circle. But the majority of canada makes $50k or less.
This is an outlet for those people to share their experiences.
I did a little googling found this too Toronto Census

Apparently only 30% earn more than 60K per year and probably 40% earn more than 50K for Toronto. That’s surprisingly low. I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad. It’s still stressful to live on 50K.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
Call centre in public service does get you $50K and the role is quite easy. Not sure why some are denying this? This post is all from my point of view.

There is nothing wrong with that salary. I don't begrudge it. The work is boring, and you have to be tied to a phone all day, most people would not last in this day and age, unless they are not as motivated (which is fine, not everyone wants to "climb up the ladder" so to speak). Imagine, being tied to a phone all day, having scheduled breaks/lunches where every minute is tracked for you to clock in an clock out... And then having an incompetent manager on top of that - yup deuces.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1599 posts
631 upvotes
Toronto
Tactical wrote: I did a little googling found this too Toronto Census

Apparently only 30% earn more than 60K per year and probably 40% earn more than 50K for Toronto. That’s surprisingly low. I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad. It’s still stressful to live on 50K.
In Toronto, males had a median total individual income of $33,456 and females had a median total individual income of $27,576.
I can't imagine anyone who lives in Toronto who can survive alone making $33,456 per year. 50k is livable but you just won't be able to save much.
Nov 26, 2016
90 posts
38 upvotes
Good luck saving when you’re only making 50k in Toronto while living on your own. I don’t know how all these people in Toronto afford to live there?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
gqbluez wrote: I can't imagine anyone who lives in Toronto who can survive alone making $33,456 per year. 50k is livable but you just won't be able to save much.
Its tough. I gotta do it with basement apartments... or living in my mom's basement. But so far I go with basement apartment as that affords me and my partner some privacy and independent living.
I'm lucky then most... I have a 2 bedroom apartment all utilities included + free parking under $800 in a very nice frig, almost trendy neighbourhood...
Jul 8, 2017
97 posts
123 upvotes
Anglia15 wrote: Good luck saving when you’re only making 50k in Toronto while living on your own. I don’t know how all these people in Toronto afford to live there?
Credit cards, and bank of Mom and Dad
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
the truth is people CANT afford they live beyond their means, even in my old job, where I made 20K a year, my colleague was driving a bmw suv and showing off but he was living paycheck to paycheck
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote: the truth is people CANT afford they live beyond their means, even in my old job, where I made 20K a year, my colleague was driving a bmw suv and showing off but he was living paycheck to paycheck
20k i dont even know how he could afford one unless parents were helping. virtually every penny would be going to payments, insurance, gas, etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Anglia15 wrote: Good luck saving when you’re only making 50k in Toronto while living on your own. I don’t know how all these people in Toronto afford to live there?
Just like other major world cities, eventually people rent or get roommates or live at home. Toronto has moved to that level whether people like it or not.
Banned
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
762 upvotes
People told me that the minimum wage is now $50k for white collar. I don't know if it is true or not. People leaving our company cited that salary. We paid entry people $40k. And when they leave, the reason was always $10k more elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5550 posts
2220 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote: People told me that the minimum wage is now $50k for white collar. I don't know if it is true or not. People leaving our company cited that salary. We paid entry people $40k. And when they leave, the reason was always $10k more elsewhere.
Call centre reps and nameless faceless IT folks for large organizations get paid in the 30s. Not to long ago it was in the mid to high 20s. These are at Canada’s largest companies.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote: People told me that the minimum wage is now $50k for white collar. I don't know if it is true or not. People leaving our company cited that salary. We paid entry people $40k. And when they leave, the reason was always $10k more elsewhere.
Obviously there is no hard and fast rule for entry levels, but for those under 2-3 years exp jumping ship I've seen in the past 15 years that ~40k to ~50k seems typical. I'd say that 50k is more of a sophomore salary...industry dependent of course.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
You cannot believe me. However, My family are living with 50 k/year in Toronto
There are many families in Toronto who have even less 50k/y

It is Capitalism

The question is not only how to learn money, but how you spend money.

Some families have more 100k/y for 2 people and they call themselves poor.
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Jul 26, 2016
209 posts
76 upvotes
I know that banks don't pay well unless you get to management. Tellers and mortgage clerks are paid close to min wage. CS reps get paid around $40-$45K. Investment advisors only get paid min wage for the first 1-2 years then fully on commission afterwards, earning potential is high but few make it to the top.

Let alone medical professionals, most people I know who make a lot of money are the ones working for the government. And a few self-employed contractors who have very good accountants.

The market is offering lower and lower salary for white collars, what can you do? I know out there people with masters are working at back office jobs that pay min wage. If you have resources like bank of moms and dads it's definitely an edge. But in the end of the day we all survive :)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
gqbluez wrote: I can't imagine anyone who lives in Toronto who can survive alone making $33,456 per year. 50k is livable but you just won't be able to save much.
I have been living on less than $33,456 a year in Toronto by myself for a while. It is doable.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
679 upvotes
I started at 48k in 2005 after graduation at a waste management company in geomatics

53k in 2006

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)