• Oct 14th, 2017 8:51 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton

Your road to the RFD $100/hour

So there's been several of these "road to xxx salary" but salary is probably the worst way of looking at it.
Think of it this way, under salary you sometimes need to work unpaid overtime, some people work 30 hours a week, some 50 and yet salary never takes it into account.

Some people don't want to work full-time, some don't want to work the full year, some people do temporary jobs while some work out of their own home. Best way to look at it is hourly wage.

So to start.
Roughly 2002 - was making under 6 bucks an hour. $5.90 or so this was during school.
Then after I graduated in 2010 I got a government job around $25 an hour.
Mid 2012 I quit and took a paycut. Labour job for $18 an hour.
2016 ticketed making $45 an hour.
2 months ago at $85 an hour.

Will reach 100 soon enough....
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
74 replies
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: So there's been several of these "road to xxx salary" but salary is probably the worst way of looking at it.
Think of it this way, under salary you sometimes need to work unpaid overtime, some people work 30 hours a week, some 50 and yet salary never takes it into account.

Some people don't want to work full-time, some don't want to work the full year, some people do temporary jobs while some work out of their own home. Best way to look at it is hourly wage.

So to start.
Roughly 2002 - was making under 6 bucks an hour. $5.90 or so this was during school.
Then after I graduated in 2010 I got a government job around $25 an hour.
Mid 2012 I quit and took a paycut. Labour job for $18 an hour.
2016 ticketed making $45 an hour.
2 months ago at $85 an hour.

Will reach 100 soon enough....
85$/hour 7 years out of school ? What do you do ?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
dante01 wrote: 85$/hour 7 years out of school ? What do you do ?
I work in the trades. And by school I went to university but that has always been a "backup"
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1853 posts
5628 upvotes
tmkf_patryk wrote: I work in the trades. And by school I went to university but that has always been a "backup"
Can you be more specific, please? I'm currently working a government job making roughly $25/hour
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
oj777 wrote: Can you be more specific, please? I'm currently working a government job making roughly $25/hour
I'm a red seal millwright working maintenance during a shutdown for an oil company.
Sep 11, 2017
548 posts
404 upvotes
How many hours do you work a week/month at your hourly rate?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Based on a 40 hour work week, earning $100,000 equates to $52 per hour

If your earning $100 per hour, you’re looking at $200,000 annual income
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
1178 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Getting dat double-bubble?
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
tmkf_patryk wrote: So there's been several of these "road to xxx salary" but salary is probably the worst way of looking at it.
In Ontario it’s a common misconception that salaried employees aren’t entitled to overtime but that’s incorrect. Overtime is anything over 44 hours, salaried or otherwise. If you work 50 hours as a salaried employee you are entitled to overtime unless you fall into one of the categories that is exempt.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Exas wrote: Getting dat double-bubble?
No i wish :(

And for previous poster. I work 13 hour days. Plus 45 min bus ride to and back

Edit: i just stated base wage
Last edited by tmkf_patryk on Oct 8th, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2397 posts
575 upvotes
PM - VK3Q69
Shutdowns/outages are gravy trains for us , Millwrights. Double time after 8 hours, working 12-16hr days/7days a week , it's not hard to reach 100/hr, with OT
Mar 28, 2017
34 posts
20 upvotes
I'm going to put this out there. I understand the reasoning for this thread but it's not just clear cut and dry to compare hourly rate.

For example, I've been a contractor at rates close to $100/hr but at the same time when I compared salary equivalents for opportunities, it's typically 30% lower. Why, because you have to quantify other benefits, like stat, vacation, benefits, perks, bonus/variable compensation, rrsp/pension matching etc.

At some companies $70/hr + all the extras is worth more than $100/hr.

That said, I do acknowledge that comparing salaries without knowing how many hours are worked also is flawed.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2008
6048 posts
1945 upvotes
GTA
Location can also be important as trades tend to be really hot in places like Alberta but the cost of living can be just as high. I.e like Fort Mcmurray when it was at peak or close to peak.

Some construction jobs are seasonal as well so you end up making a lot of money but for like 6 - 9 months of the year. Not all construction/trades job though would be seasonal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Makes me want to get my electrical done... just hard to find first year hours somewhere. Meanwhile vac hauling, driving truck, and moving dirt for the time being. $26-40/hr for <=16 hours a day usually.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
dante01 wrote: 85$/hour 7 years out of school ? What do you do ?
Many consultant would be in that range ..7yrs experience is a lot .
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: Many consultant would be in that range ..7yrs experience is a lot .
Thats close to 200k so no, not many consultant would be there after 7 years
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
dante01 wrote: Thats close to 200k so no, not many consultant would be there after 7 years
Here's the problem. You keep thinking working a whole year. Many people don't want to work a whole year.

So what do you do and how much do you get paid? And how have you progressed to the legendary $100 per hour
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
dante01 wrote: Thats close to 200k so no, not many consultant would be there after 7 years
We're talking by hour here. Hourly rate will be higher than equivalent salary

That's the whole point of hiring a consultant and being one. So you're not restricted in a employer/employee relationship
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
MrWhiteCoffee wrote: We're talking by hour here. Hourly rate will be higher than equivalent salary

That's the whole point of hiring a consultant and being one. So you're not restricted in a employer/employee relationship
Well most people don't wanna switch from contract to contract..
May 9, 2012
520 posts
173 upvotes
SF Bay Area
tmkf_patryk wrote: Here's the problem. You keep thinking working a whole year. Many people don't want to work a whole year.

So what do you do and how much do you get paid? And how have you progressed to the legendary $100 per hour
Just out of curiosity how do I factor in other benefits like stock compensation, benefits and annual bonus? The reason I am asking is because my base salary is per hour based but bulk of my compensation is also stock based (40% of the base).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)