Careers

Your road to the RFD 100k individual Salary!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2542 posts
717 upvotes
Vancouver
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 10:48 am
Life is about more than chasing money (or it should be).
Yeah, tell this to all the women who won't date someone making less than $50k/year, doesn't drive a beemer, is shorter than 6'3" and rents. Especially in Vancouver.
http://www.straight.com/confessions/170 ... t-approach
http://www.straight.com/confessions/170 ... te-anymore
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3157 posts
1155 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
charlesd79 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:11 pm
Yeah, tell this to all the women who won't date someone making less than $50k/year, doesn't drive a beemer, is shorter than 6'3" and rents. Especially in Vancouver.
Wrong women. Is it possible that you are only chasing after "perfect" 10s yourself? I am very good looking, but I've seen an attitude in some "lookers" that they think the world should be handed to them without doing anything. Drives me nuts.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2542 posts
717 upvotes
Vancouver
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:27 pm
Wrong women. Is it possible that you are only chasing after "perfect" 10s yourself? I am very good looking, but I've seen an attitude in some "lookers" that they think the world should be handed to them without doing anything. Drives me nuts.
Of course I'm only chasing 10s ... isn't everyone ?
/sarcasm
Nov 19, 2014
784 posts
209 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 10:58 am
Forgot to mention- demographics is a biggie. You're likely older than I am so the women you run into are likely to be more of career women.

Even that aside, most just spend their spare time daydreaming about finding men, getting married and having kids. The more attractive they are, they tend to crave attention from many men more. Though this is partly due to societal pressures in the woman world. Many men are fine with that- but I am not at that stage of life yet.

Also Alberta has the highest percentage of women doing "unpaid work" (i.e. housewives), and highest divorce rate. The stereotype here is they want to find many men to chase them and give them attention, get knocked up by a oilfield tradesman to "entrap" the man into a relationship and financial support, and cheat on him when he is busy working long hours away from home. Generalization of course but it is an extremely common rant here.

Philosophy of life is another discussion, probably beyond the scope of this thread, and we can argue endlessly about that one. I have my rationale but I usually just tell people to do what works for them.

Though it sounds like I'm complaining I'd prefer much of the above to stay that way. Reaching my financial goals hinges critically on the lack of competition. The last thing I want is my lines of work to turn into the next white collar world where a lineup of students are ready to do my work for less to nothing and following suit to all start similar businesses and get into the same investments to drive down rates (or eliminate available work) and returns.
Oil tradesmen?

An "attractive" female who is a gold digger and wants to "entrap" someone isn't going for an oil tradesmen.

They want the real estate mogul or tech multi-millionaire. A pro athlete. Or a trophy husband they can brag about (Surgeon, Lawyer, Executive).

They're at the W or Four Seasons bar during happy hour. Nowhere near oil fields.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3157 posts
1155 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
charlesd79 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:29 pm
Of course I'm only chasing 10s ... isn't everyone ?
/sarcasm
Not sure why the sarcasm? It is a common thing. Guys bitch about these qualities in women, but they are chasing after ridiculous women in the first place. I think that having their own career and motivation should be part of the number, and based on the fact that most of the population falls into the "average" category as far as looks go (or it wouldn't be called average) - I'd say no, they're not. My hubby lucked out. Out of all his friends' wives, only two of us have a career - plus I'm hot lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4473 posts
740 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Corner3 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 4:37 pm
Oil tradesmen?

An "attractive" female who is a gold digger and wants to "entrap" someone isn't going for an oil tradesmen.

They want the real estate mogul or tech multi-millionaire. A pro athlete. Or a trophy husband they can brag about (Surgeon, Lawyer, Executive).

They're at the W or Four Seasons bar during happy hour. Nowhere near oil fields.
The people you described exist in very small numbers here. Or if they do, they're mostly about a job title given to them just to make them feel better. In reality they are not very much. Further down south where there is more opportunity, then it is more true. So that's why it's what they go for up here because that's usually all there is.
charlesd79 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 1:11 pm
The catch is in Vancouver if you fit that description, likely your family is rich. Substance comes from the family rather than the guy's own character. Personally even though I fit that description aside from the height, if I really wanted to use a similar grounding to attract someone, I would want them to be attracted to me, not my family's wealth.

Though I see what you mean. It's sad because Vancouver has become mostly just a retirement playground for wealthy immigrants, foreigners, and products of Old Money. Social ladder position is usually determined by how much money you've been brought into rather than what you've worked for.
Nov 19, 2014
784 posts
209 upvotes
The people you described exist in very small numbers here. Or if they do, they're mostly about a job title given to them just to make them feel better. In reality they are not very much.
They're in Point Grey, West Vancouver, Vancouver West, Shaughnessy Heights, Herrisdale, Westmount, York Mills-Windfields, Upper Mount Royal, Britannia, Sunnybrook.

Look, you seem to be talking about going after gold digger girls. Gold digger girls only care about 1 thing and that's money. So, you better be in the top 1% of earning power. Typically, "oil tradesmen" doesn't fit that category. 1%ers don't have to "work OT" to break $100,000. If you're "working OT" to reach a certain salary threshold, you're definitely not a 1%er or who the true gold diggers are after. Maybe the really stupid gold diggers (then you have the double-whammy of dealing with someone extremely dumb as well as being a gold-digger, albeit a very ineffective one).

The actual gold diggers (the ones that have experience doing this), they don't care about age either. They're in Kerrisdale hitting on the 40-50 year olds with money. They're not up trying to meet labour at the oil field. If that's who you're dealing with, you're dealing with a real low-maintenance gold digger.

Aside from this % of women, who are after money, women are very similar to guys. The only rule is to be attractive, and to not be unattractive. Is Profession tied in with that? Sure. Just like how guys love dating models women love dating doctors.

But is it only about money? No, there are tons of Professions that pay well where guys aren't getting any women. Silicone Valley pays it's engineers huge and there are loads of single guys there. I know a lot of nerdy investment bankers that don't get any attention from women, but the bartender at the Manhattan bar they go to happy hour at can't stop getting hit on.

Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 10:48 am
I know this to be true. I am an incredible help to my partner, and I've always worked. His ex is in the category of "leech" to society and him.

Life is about more than chasing money (or it should be). Just don't be stupid about the women you choose.

What does his ex say about him though?
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3157 posts
1155 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I don't know of care what his ex says about him. How would you describe someone in their 40s who has never held any sort of stable job and leeches wherever she can (welfare, lives in her elderly mom's trailer for free, or with whatever guy will have her)? She has done nothing but take from my husband. I call her a leech to society. She is basically a lazy waste of oxygen.
Nov 19, 2014
784 posts
209 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 8:35 pm
I don't know of care what his ex says about him. How would you describe someone in their 40s who has never held any sort of stable job and leeches wherever she can (welfare, lives in her elderly mom's trailer for free, or with whatever guy will have her)? She has done nothing but take from my husband. I call her a leech to society. She is basically a lazy waste of oxygen.
I meant, what does that say about your husband considering your husband dated her?

If she's such a leech and "a lazy waste of oxygen", why would your husband date her? How does that reflect on his taste?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2542 posts
717 upvotes
Vancouver
Corner3 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 8:08 pm
Aside from this % of women, who are after money, women are very similar to guys. The only rule is to be attractive, and to not be unattractive.
You missed some : be rich and don't be poor, be healthy and don't be sick etc.
Also, who do you think most women would choose between a rich attractive guy and a poor attractive guy ? And I'm not even blaming them since it's in their genes to choose the best mate for their hypothetical children, but let's not try to pretend they have evolved too much since the Stone Age. Women who really care about personality and other character traits are very few out there.
Anyway, let's not digress too much and divert the main subject of this topic.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4473 posts
740 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Corner3 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 8:08 pm
They're in Point Grey, West Vancouver, Vancouver West, Shaughnessy Heights, Herrisdale, Westmount, York Mills-Windfields, Upper Mount Royal, Britannia, Sunnybrook.

Look, you seem to be talking about going after gold digger girls. Gold digger girls only care about 1 thing and that's money. So, you better be in the top 1% of earning power. Typically, "oil tradesmen" doesn't fit that category. 1%ers don't have to "work OT" to break $100,000. If you're "working OT" to reach a certain salary threshold, you're definitely not a 1%er or who the true gold diggers are after. Maybe the really stupid gold diggers (then you have the double-whammy of dealing with someone extremely dumb as well as being a gold-digger, albeit a very ineffective one).

The actual gold diggers (the ones that have experience doing this), they don't care about age either. They're in Kerrisdale hitting on the 40-50 year olds with money. They're not up trying to meet labour at the oil field. If that's who you're dealing with, you're dealing with a real low-maintenance gold digger.

Aside from this % of women, who are after money, women are very similar to guys. The only rule is to be attractive, and to not be unattractive. Is Profession tied in with that? Sure. Just like how guys love dating models women love dating doctors.

But is it only about money? No, there are tons of Professions that pay well where guys aren't getting any women. Silicone Valley pays it's engineers huge and there are loads of single guys there. I know a lot of nerdy investment bankers that don't get any attention from women, but the bartender at the Manhattan bar they go to happy hour at can't stop getting hit on.

What does his ex say about him though?
You're pointing out the primary areas where kids are bred from Old Money and wealthy immigrant and foreigner money- and that's much of the money that actually exists here. Aside from real estate (which requires significant capital to get in) there is little to no worthwhile industry. At most some local firm will slap you a "prestigious" job title to make yourself feel better but these people usually make no money. Now these old/immigrant/foreigner money breds often work just for fun and really don't need to alltogether, let alone OT. Now why would gold diggers here look for people in the oil industry when there isn't one?

Your chart speaks for itself. Note the most "attractive" men in there are in startups. Not sure which demographic that is drawn from but shows that money comes from doing something on your own if your family didn't hold your hand.
Last edited by FirstGear on Jun 3rd, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 19, 2014
784 posts
209 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 8:58 pm
You missed some : be rich and don't be poor, be healthy and don't be sick etc.
Also, who do you think most women would choose between a rich attractive guy and a poor attractive guy ? And I'm not even blaming them since it's in their genes to choose the best mate for their hypothetical children, but let's not try to pretend they have evolved too much since the Stone Age. Women who really care about personality and other character traits are very few out there.
Anyway, let's not digress too much and divert the main subject of this topic.
All things being equal, they'll choose the rich guy. But when are "all things being equal" in real life?

There are a lot of guys that work below-average to average jobs that get plenty of women because they're physically attractive. My friends who work as club promoters or bartenders date way more and have way more prospects, they probably make from $30,000-70,000. My engineering friends, some of them make over $500,000. They've either always been single and have no prospects, or have what most people would consider to be unattractive girlfriends.

There's other kickers too. If you're white and you work as a waiter or butcher or as a cook, it's "hipster" and you're living an "cool artistic alternative hipster life." You play in a crappy band that gets 2 gigs a year at a dive bar open mic night that doesn't pay? Cool, you're an artist. If you're Asian or Indian doing one of those, you're screwed.

But point is, the good looking bartender at the nightclub or popular dive bar, or personal trainer, or bouncer is getting way more play than the Engineer or Programmer making $200,000 a year. Guys hate admitting it, but girls can be just as superficial about looks as guys.
You're pointing out the primary areas where kids are bred from Old Money and wealthy immigrant and foreigner money- and that's much of the money that actually exists here.
Do you think girls who date for money purposes (the girls you talk about in your post), care about whether it's "old money" or "wealthy immigrant money", or where that money comes from, as long as they can get their new gucci bag and mercedes?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2013
4473 posts
740 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Corner3 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2017 9:41 pm

Do you think girls who date for money purposes (the girls you talk about in your post), care about whether it's "old money" or "wealthy immigrant money", or where that money comes from, as long as they can get their new gucci bag and mercedes?
Of course not. But it doesn't make practical sense for us working people to make a comparison to say, someone else's Dad. The typical career man is more concerned about his position relative to other career people than the kid who had his school, mansion, and woman bought by his parents.
Apr 21, 2014
980 posts
216 upvotes
Alberta
gotrice wrote:
Jun 7th, 2016 12:31 pm
Have you tried reading a doctors writing? It's like deciphering hieroglyphics
All my prescriptions from my doctor and re printed on a computer. No deciphering needed.
Apr 14, 2017
187 posts
60 upvotes
DT Calgary
RFD needs a dating sub-forum. Don't know why they haven't gotten one over all these years.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)