Careers

Your road to the RFD $100k individual Salary!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 5:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4675 posts
877 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 2:12 am
LOL ... so suddenly you're also a relationship expert ? Yeah, definitely there are 0 divorces and cheating amongst the married well-of couples...
Is the lack of money sometimes leading to divorce? Certainly. But in order to make such a sweeping generalisation you must be an idiot.
Personally I'd like a partner to be next to me even if we're dirt poor sleeping under a bridge. Actually some of the homeless people have more honour and moral principles than lots of rich * out there.
Dude, what are you talking about?

Lol.
Last edited by MrDisco on Feb 20th, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Feb 19, 2017
320 posts
136 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 3:09 pm
Lastly there are roles that just have a large variance in income in general, such as ones that pay piece-rate or include some other incentive-system, or just do very different types of work depending on the company. For instance, a cookie-cutter accountant after 8 years of school, and 5+ years of experience would be happy to make $70,000/year. However, the same person will eclipse $100,000/year + bonuses if he/she is running an whole department of a large corporation, where its success is heavily dependent on his/her decision making. Then you have those in sales, whether in auto sales, or in financial products..
You've repeated this a few times now...
Where do you get the idea that accountants make 70K a year unless they run a whole department?
It sounds like you're unnecessarily biased against the white-collar route because you chose something different.
You're in Alberta. Senior Accountants all make 120K+ there doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8000 posts
459 upvotes
SK
Ill never make it, and I dont care to either. If it happens it happens. Im currently happy and stress free at a job right now that pays well, just not 100K well.

Ive seen some people that make this, and their life is busy and they are constantly stressed. Have fun
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
I think job stability, some job security and a good working environment (great boss, great colleagues) trump this six digit moving target.

Actually, I'm just sour grapes I'm not making six digits. :p
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8000 posts
459 upvotes
SK
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 1:22 pm
I think job stability, some job security and a good working environment (great boss, great colleagues) trump this six digit moving target.

Actually, I'm just sour grapes I'm not making six digits. :p
Im not, Id rather have the former, which I do. While I dont make 100K, I am about 25K away. Meh, im low stress and all the same hours all the time.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45138 posts
11672 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 1:26 pm
Im not, Id rather have the former, which I do. While I dont make 100K, I am about 25K away. Meh, im low stress and all the same hours all the time.
I was kidding. I prefer the first set of conditions too. I just try to liven the discussion here and didn't mean to insult you. I should have made my intentions clear.

$75k in SK is also going to go a long way compared to $100k in the GTA, I think.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8000 posts
459 upvotes
SK
alanbrenton wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 1:31 pm
I was kidding. I prefer the first set of conditions too. I just try to liven the discussion here and didn't mean to insult you. I should have made my intentions clear.

$75k in SK is also going to go a long way compared to $100k in the GTA, I think.
Its cool, one day some on here will get it, some wont.
Nov 8, 2006
657 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I am constantly looking for ways to reduce taxes once I've reached the 100k threshold.
RRSP, work pension, union dues, donations, etc...

All that work just to make sure I drop below the bracket. Its not all glam, it comes with more expenses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5245 posts
1113 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Walch1102 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 12:10 pm
You've repeated this a few times now...
Where do you get the idea that accountants make 70K a year unless they run a whole department?
It sounds like you're unnecessarily biased against the white-collar route because you chose something different.
You're in Alberta. Senior Accountants all make 120K+ there doing nothing.
All? No they don't. Either way, hardly by doing nothing. It's a myth that Alberta/the west is the land of the easy big money.

e.g. Send an application to this firm, or talk to their office. They pay $80,000 salary for the below role, which is very good here- though they took the salary off their ad.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-accounting-mana ... nFlag=true

Or, this. Glassdoor shows even lower.

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Jo ... Calgary-AB

Go take a quick Google (or better, even network) and you'll find the "glory road to the easy $100K" in the office isn't so clear-cut.
Oilfield Services Operator and Consulting Contractor
Serving Western Canada since 2013
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
2970 posts
1061 upvotes
Vancouver
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 19th, 2018 7:40 am
Its not just job title...there are low earners for pretty much every job title and high earners too...don't associate with the underachievers
Even if I'd be one of these high earners I wouldn't want you (or anyone thinking like you) amongst my friends. To me a friend is more than an "overachiever" making loads of money. But to each his/her own...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7265 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 10:43 pm
Even if I'd be one of these high earners I wouldn't want you (or anyone thinking like you) amongst my friends. To me a friend is more than an "overachiever" making loads of money. But to each his/her own...
hes just a troll.
in my post, i was talking about clients that I meet, and people that I meet on a daily basis.. none of them being my friends or in a friendship capacity... the majority of people under 35 that i have met are under employed making nothing near $80,000 and they all have degrees... masters... heck some have phds.. they aren't my friends or in my socioeconomic class. I don't hang out with them..

so i dont believe the stats can stats personally.
Dec 21, 2009
81 posts
41 upvotes
Oakville
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 1:26 pm
It's perfectly possible to have the same while making 100k plus, I have it myself, but it can get get busy at times... Just always keep a look out for positions, one job title/promo away from that 100k bump with similar life style.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16468 posts
2128 upvotes
marketb wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 4:39 pm
I am constantly looking for ways to reduce taxes once I've reached the 100k threshold.
RRSP, work pension, union dues, donations, etc...

All that work just to make sure I drop below the bracket. Its not all glam, it comes with more expenses.
We have a progressive tax system, brackets don't really matter. The more you make, the more you pay. It's not like your taxes will suddenly change by going from $99,999 to $100,000.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
8000 posts
459 upvotes
SK
haskay wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 12:37 am
It's perfectly possible to have the same while making 100k plus, I have it myself, but it can get get busy at times... Just always keep a look out for positions, one job title/promo away from that 100k bump with similar life style.
All depends on where you live, if I wanted to do that I would need to uproot my entire family. Now while I have moved a lot in my life and to different jobs, I have or see no need to now.

My motto is, Ive put in my time in the trenches, being in my field for over 20 years and living in 3 provinces. I found a job I deserve, and will stay where I am, at least company wise, until I retire.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1505 posts
535 upvotes
Tokyo
haskay wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 12:37 am
Agreed. It's very strategic, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I am doing very well for myself, and work less hours than a government employee. It wasn't always like that, however to get into my position was deliberate and not by luck/coincidence. You just need to ignore all the nay-sayers and go after it.