Careers

Your road to the RFD $100k individual Salary!

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2018 12:39 pm
Tags:
None
Newbie
Dec 21, 2009
93 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 10:11 am
All depends on where you live, if I wanted to do that I would need to uproot my entire family. Now while I have moved a lot in my life and to different jobs, I have or see no need to now.

My motto is, Ive put in my time in the trenches, being in my field for over 20 years and living in 3 provinces. I found a job I deserve, and will stay where I am, at least company wise, until I retire.
Fair enough - I'm in GTA so obviously more opportunities... also no Family, so I'm able to be a bit more risky.

Also - my logic is the old model of loyalty is pointless - internally I've seen people get underpaid on promotions, and only through a competing offer from another firm do they match - and that is only if they like you. My thinking is learn as much as possible, and move to more senior position when opportunity presents itself, which is what I'm trying to do now.

I think I'll be constantly job hopping for next couple of years, unless I get a cushy government gig making 150k plus.
Newbie
Dec 21, 2009
93 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville
McKinsey wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 10:37 am
Agreed. It's very strategic, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I am doing very well for myself, and work less hours than a government employee. It wasn't always like that, however to get into my position was deliberate and not by luck/coincidence. You just need to ignore all the nay-sayers and go after it.
From your name, it looks like you were in McKinsey before - having a top tier consulting firm obviously put's you ahead of the game.

Right now I'm working in consulting, but looking for a more of a senior management position in the space or in a start up - which brings me to a couple of questions for you.

What do you currently do?

and What do you recommend I do to get to something similar?

Independent consulting appeals to me as well, cut ou the middle man, charge $100 +/hour but I wouldn't know how to get that kind of work right now.
Member
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
FirstGear wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 9:21 pm
All? No they don't. Either way, hardly by doing nothing. It's a myth that Alberta/the west is the land of the easy big money.

e.g. Send an application to this firm, or talk to their office. They pay $80,000 salary for the below role, which is very good here- though they took the salary off their ad.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-accounting-mana ... nFlag=true

Or, this. Glassdoor shows even lower.

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Jo ... Calgary-AB

Go take a quick Google (or better, even network) and you'll find the "glory road to the easy $100K" in the office isn't so clear-cut.
I'm speaking from direct first-hand experience, not hearsay. You're not used to the corporate world, so it's not surprising that you're looking at kijiji, payscale, etc. No reputable accountant is looking for work on kijiji.

Few other things:
-When you say cookie-cutter accountant, I consider that to be someone from a big 4 accounting firm or some large regional firm. Unlike in Toronto, competition for these roles really aren't that competitive in Calgary/Edmonton, so there's really no reason for a decent accounting grad to go anywhere else unless it's directly into a O&G corp.
-The salaries I'm referring to are in Calgary. Not sure why anyone would want to live in Edmonton if they have to be for work. Calgary pays more, is warmer, more white collar, and is just a nicer city in general.
-Those average salaries you're looking at doesn't consider the massive number of immigrants with shaky English who go the accountant route. Canadian university grads generally fare a lot better.
Member
Feb 19, 2017
332 posts
141 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 10:49 pm
hes just a troll.
in my post, i was talking about clients that I meet, and people that I meet on a daily basis.. none of them being my friends or in a friendship capacity... the majority of people under 35 that i have met are under employed making nothing near $80,000 and they all have degrees... masters... heck some have phds.. they aren't my friends or in my socioeconomic class. I don't hang out with them..

so i dont believe the stats can stats personally.
Really depends on the work you do doesn't it.
The type of work you do and the clients you serve can also be constrained to a certain income level.
For example, if you were a normal bank teller at a bank with a premium service, you won't have an opportunity to serve any of the wealthy.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3027 posts
1096 upvotes
Vancouver
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 8:52 am
Well people tend to network and be friends with people of similar career and income levels which explains the below average earnings of people you know
My suggestion is to evaluate who you're associating with and look to network away to more successful ones if you want to move up.
Okay.. continue to associate with those below average and contemplate why you can't move up. In the real world, network with successful ones is key
Nope...mean friends are people you identify with in similar socioeconomic status as research has shown
Friends aren't selected at random and we make friends generally who are close to us in achievement and socioeconomic status, beliefs, attitudes and interests.
Its not just job title...there are low earners for pretty much every job title and high earners too...don't associate with the underachievers
I'm just going to leave this quote here
As we all know, the Vancouver area is very cliquish and exclusionary. People make most of their friends in school here, and only allow a few people into their circle. That's if they "look" the part and have the right social/financial status to fit in. On top of that, there's a constant obsession with social climbing. So, even if you do make some friends, they're constantly on the lookout for "better" people to associate with.
from here https://www.straight.com/confessions/18 ... and-dating

Also from the same page, since Firstgear mentioned rich folks have a better marriage life than poor people
When they met my grandfather was a lowly repairman but my grandmother saw potential in him and only she knows what she saw. He went on to be a number one world champion shooter for many years and traveled the globe. His love for her has never faltered through breast cancer, death, a brothers suicide and many other ups and down.
The reason they have made it this far is because they started with nothing and people that have nothing have everything to look forward to. People that have too much are empty and will always be looking to fill up that emptiness with more empty boxes.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2007
4728 posts
899 upvotes
Past few pages have been Off Topic trash.

Yeah, people with money are filling holes in their souls ... lol, gg. No, no - people with money are on easy street and the strength of their character is best demonstrated through their title and compensation, which can be impacted by circumstance and chance as much as hard work and intelligence ... lol, gg.

So, how long did it take for everyone to reach the mark
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
9000 posts
667 upvotes
SK
TodayHello wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 7:15 am
Past few pages have been Off Topic trash.

Yeah, people with money are filling holes in their souls ... lol, gg. No, no - people with money are on easy street and the strength of their character is best demonstrated through their title and compensation, which can be impacted by circumstance and chance as much as hard work and intelligence ... lol, gg.

So, how long did it take for everyone to reach the mark
Reach what mark? I have things in my life that no money can buy, and I have them because of the person I am, not the size of my bank account.

Might be because I came from a farm with next to nothing, and have raised my family as such to appreciate what you have,
Newbie
Dec 21, 2009
93 posts
44 upvotes
Oakville
charlesd79 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 1:56 am
I'm just going to leave this quote here
As we all know, the Vancouver area is very cliquish and exclusionary. People make most of their friends in school here, and only allow a few people into their circle. That's if they "look" the part and have the right social/financial status to fit in. On top of that, there's a constant obsession with social climbing. So, even if you do make some friends, they're constantly on the lookout for "better" people to associate with.
from here https://www.straight.com/confessions/18 ... and-dating

Also from the same page, since Firstgear mentioned rich folks have a better marriage life than poor people
When they met my grandfather was a lowly repairman but my grandmother saw potential in him and only she knows what she saw. He went on to be a number one world champion shooter for many years and traveled the globe. His love for her has never faltered through breast cancer, death, a brothers suicide and many other ups and down.
The reason they have made it this far is because they started with nothing and people that have nothing have everything to look forward to. People that have too much are empty and will always be looking to fill up that emptiness with more empty boxes.
I like how this 100k thread is turning into commentary on society and materialism.

I don't disagree though, I think alot of people associate their value with their accomplishments rather than themselves as people and their character. Seems like fall out due to society becoming materialistic as a whole.

I don't think this is a "rich person" problem exclusively though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8211 posts
855 upvotes
TodayHello wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 7:15 am
Past few pages have been Off Topic trash.

Yeah, people with money are filling holes in their souls ... lol, gg. No, no - people with money are on easy street and the strength of their character is best demonstrated through their title and compensation, which can be impacted by circumstance and chance as much as hard work and intelligence ... lol, gg.

So, how long did it take for everyone to reach the mark
People usually hit 100k level around year 8. I projected to be year 10 when I was undergrad. So I say it's not bad getting it at year 8.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 8, 2007
4728 posts
899 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 10:56 am
Reach what mark? I have things in my life that no money can buy, and I have them because of the person I am, not the size of my bank account.

Might be because I came from a farm with next to nothing, and have raised my family as such to appreciate what you have,
Tell us more.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 28, 2016
9000 posts
667 upvotes
SK
TodayHello wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 5:20 pm
What mark?

Tell us more.
You said this

Past few pages have been Off Topic trash.

Yeah, people with money are filling holes in their souls ... lol, gg. No, no - people with money are on easy street and the strength of their character is best demonstrated through their title and compensation, which can be impacted by circumstance and chance as much as hard work and intelligence ... lol, gg.

So, how long did it take for everyone to reach the mark

What mark?
Member
Oct 12, 2017
223 posts
136 upvotes
Graduated a few years ago from school and reached 100k individual salary. My salaries post grad are as follows:

Year 1: 65k
Year 2: 72.5k
Year 3: 90k
Year 4 (current year): 105k
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 29, 2003
18258 posts
1543 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 5:21 pm
You said this

Past few pages have been Off Topic trash.

Yeah, people with money are filling holes in their souls ... lol, gg. No, no - people with money are on easy street and the strength of their character is best demonstrated through their title and compensation, which can be impacted by circumstance and chance as much as hard work and intelligence ... lol, gg.

So, how long did it take for everyone to reach the mark

What mark?
Did you read the thread title?
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)