Careers

Your road to the RFD $100k individual Salary!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 5:15 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 14, 2017
394 posts
118 upvotes
DT Calgary
When Software Engineers median salary is 60k in Toronto and Vancouver, it's hard to believe so many people make 85k+. I just don't see it. I work with people with varying degrees of education, and these numbers just don't add up. I agree that roughly 10% of people make 85k+, but hitting this mark should be seen as an achievement, and not commonplace has said by members here.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Feb 26th, 2018 11:27 pm
exactly cherry picks stats to push an agenda.
Its still higher than 70k when you include women

Median income with degree is over 70k in country for people working FT

That means half don't...
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 12:16 am
When Software Engineers median salary is 60k in Toronto and Vancouver, it's hard to believe so many people make 85k+. I just don't see it. I work with people with varying degrees of education, and these numbers just don't add up. I agree that roughly 10% of people make 85k+, but hitting this mark should be seen as an achievement, and not commonplace has said by members here.
You just hang out with underachievers.

Median for males with degree is 82k in country, 68k for females. If you're male, that means half make more than 82k with degree

As posted before, people associate and become friends with others with similar abilities, attributes, values and abilities
Oct 12, 2017
221 posts
134 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
Most of my friends who are in their mid to late twenties earn more than 85k as software developers in GTA.

I worked at two companies so far. The starting salaries for the first company for new graduates is 65k. The starting salaries for my current company is 75k.

I find it hard to believe that the median is so low Considering that starting salaries is much higher.
Last edited by serious8 on Feb 27th, 2018 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
serious8 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 8:03 am
Most of my friends who are in their mid to late twenties earn more than 85k as software developers in GTA.
Because you associate with others who share similar characteristics, values, abilities etc.

Its like how druggies have sketch friends. Friends and acquaintances aren't randomly selected.

Also while median with degree is 82k in Ontario for males... obviously there's a difference if you go down to program/school/abilities of the population with a degree

I know of a bad/mediocore developer who doesn't make 85k 10 years out of school but the guy can't even write or read properly or create a basic stack..he has a degree in CS though. But he's the half that is below median and all his developer friends no doubt of similar low quality and earnings .

There are no doubt low pay developer positions as well. I mean take a look at the pathetic pay from a govt agency offering $36/hr for a developer!

http://applytoeducation.com/Applicant/A ... e=en&maf=0
Last edited by TrafficEng on Feb 27th, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 12, 2017
221 posts
134 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 8:05 am
Because you associate with others who share similar characteristics, values, abilities etc.

Its like how druggies have sketch friends. Friends and acquaintances aren't randomly selected. But of course those who don't even make the median don't understand something so simple

Also while median with degree is 82k in Ontario for males... obviously there's a difference if you go down to program/school/abilities of the population with a degree

I know of a bad/mediocore developer who doesn't make 85k 10 years out of school but the guy can't even write or read properly or create a basic stack..he has a degree in CS though. But he's the half that is below median and all his developer friends no doubt of similar low quality and earnings .
Perhaps you're right. If you are mediocre and aren't willing to improve, then your salary should reflect that.

I think the takeaway is that a career is rewarding only as long as you put the effort in. One can't blame the market average salary when the average person is mediocre...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16468 posts
2128 upvotes
FreshCo wrote:
When Software Engineers median salary is 60k in Toronto and Vancouver, it's hard to believe so many people make 85k+.
Obviously not everyone does, but with little effort/skill above the average, $100,000 is very achievable especially if you have a degree. From what I recall, average or median income for a degree holder in Ontario is like $85,000 ... and probably more so in the GTA, so $100,000 isn't abnormal.

Are you early in your career?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5226 posts
2534 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
TrafficEng wrote:
There are no doubt low pay developer positions as well. I mean take a look at the pathetic pay from a govt agency offering $36/hr for a developer!

That $36 per hour with a government position can be worth a lot more than that. They get so much time off, sick leave, DB pension, etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16468 posts
2128 upvotes
TrafficEng wrote:

It looks to be a junior/intermediate position, but it works out to $76,839 per year. It seems on par, or even good, for the description. Plus it's a government job, so that means nice benefits...
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7265 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
TrafficEng wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 8:01 am
Its still higher than 70k when you include women

Median income with degree is over 70k in country for people working FT

That means half don't...
I agree with you but the argument I didn't agree with is that 50% of under 35 make more than 80k and I can't find any stats on this.

Then u go on to insult us that we hang out with underachievers .

I make 75k I don't think I'm an underachiever by any means
Dec 21, 2009
81 posts
41 upvotes
Oakville
daivey wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 11:09 am
I agree with you but the argument I didn't agree with is that 50% of under 35 make more than 80k and I can't find any stats on this.

Then u go on to insult us that we hang out with underachievers .

I make 75k I don't think I'm an underachiever by any means
Just gotta be a competitive and aggressive then. I see all sorts of positions at established start ups for software engineers paying $100k+.

Figure out what you are missing and fill it in, if you don't then maybe you are an under achiever or not as competitive as you think.

You're also competing against Waterloo students etc - Toronto is a competitive market.

I didn't get competitive until I got a MBA, now its a matter of ladder hopping and showing I am capable. It's competitive out there in Analytics, but lots of opportunity. I'd think the exact same for software engineering --> if you want more money, show you can take on more management level work.
Oct 12, 2017
221 posts
134 upvotes
haskay wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 4:19 pm
Just gotta be a competitive and aggressive then. I see all sorts of positions at established start ups for software engineers paying $100k+.

Figure out what you are missing and fill it in, if you don't then maybe you are an under achiever or not as competitive as you think.

You're also competing against Waterloo students etc - Toronto is a competitive market.

I didn't get competitive until I got a MBA, now its a matter of ladder hopping and showing I am capable. It's competitive out there in Analytics, but lots of opportunity. I'd think the exact same for software engineering --> if you want more money, show you can take on more management level work.
This man speaks the truth.

Complaining on a forum about your pay is not going to fix it. Putting in the work to make yourself worth more will.

Look for a prominent startup or tech company that hires top tier talent and apply. If you can't get in, learn from the experience and see what it is that you're missing. Improve yourself and try again.

This is basically what I did to break the 100k barrier at age 26.
Dec 21, 2009
81 posts
41 upvotes
Oakville
serious8 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 5:13 pm
This man speaks the truth.

Complaining on a forum about your pay is not going to fix it. Putting in the work to make yourself worth more will.

Look for a prominent startup or tech company that hires top tier talent and apply. If you can't get in, learn from the experience and see what it is that you're missing. Improve yourself and try again.

This is basically what I did to break the 100k barrier at age 26.
My only regret was not realizing this earlier in my career.

Be real, figure out why you aren't getting the interviews, and if you are getting the interviews, figure out why you aren't closing, and once you close - don't be lazy, look for the next move and growth ops.
Oct 12, 2017
221 posts
134 upvotes
haskay wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:51 am
My only regret was not realizing this earlier in my career.
once you close - don't be lazy, look for the next move and growth ops.
This is KEY. So many people get comfortable once they close. That is where they fall behind :)
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
128 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 10:15 am
That $36 per hour with a government position can be worth a lot more than that. They get so much time off, sick leave, DB pension, etc.

A DB plan is not better than doublr digit annual bonuses, stock purchase plans , expense accounts . We have unlimited sickleave and much better benefits package than govt with flex dollars that can be paid out as well. I don't think a DB plan is worth lower salary to start let alone the easy extra 20% a year from bonuses and stock purchase plans

Also better vacation... govt if I were to go back would start me off at 3 weeks...I started with 4 weeks at my current gig, signing bonus as well in addition to the annual bonus and stock purchase plans...way better than the only "advantage" of a db pension plan