Careers

Your road to the RFD $100k individual Salary!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 10:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 10, 2013
7 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
achohan91 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:52 am
What engineering? Computer or software? Thats starting pay is high if its not computer/software engineer title.
Yeah the BEng was in Biomedical Engineering and the jobs are in software. 2013 - 2015 is software QA, and 2016 - present is software developer.
Jun 4, 2016
30 posts
5 upvotes
A CPA, CA (Ex Big 4)

Jan 2016 - Graduated with starting salary @ 47K
Sep 2016 - 53K (52K + 1K bonus)
Sep 2017- 63K (62K + 1K bonus)
Sep 2018 - 70K (69K + 1K bonus)
Oct 2018 - Left the firm, 97.5k+ (85K + 12.5K bonus+ overtime)
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
TheDarkMamba wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:54 am
Yeah the BEng was in Biomedical Engineering and the jobs are in software. 2013 - 2015 is software QA, and 2016 - present is software developer.
Wouldn’t have thought people in biomed were getting lucrative software developer jobs. Nice work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
Well my husband was extremely happy yesterday. For 2018 he got a 3% salary increase. He decided to ask for another 10% on top and he got it.

So since working at his job in 2015, he went from $85k to $120k base salary + bonus. $14k increase alone since 2018.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4831 posts
997 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 7:54 am
Well my husband was extremely happy yesterday. For 2018 he got a 3% salary increase. He decided to ask for another 10% on top and he got it.

So since working at his job in 2015, he went from $85k to $120k base salary + bonus. $14k increase alone since 2018.
Congrats! This is a good example of the importance of asking and negotiating on behalf of yourself.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3028 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
I went from working at Sears for $10/hr to getting my Seneca Diploma for CTY, and now making a little under 100K, OT included, after 3 years of graduating.

Now looking to get my certifications in AWS or Azure and aiming for 130K.
Apr 14, 2017
866 posts
407 upvotes
DT Calgary
Sepharite wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:09 pm
I went from working at Sears for $10/hr to getting my Seneca Diploma for CTY, and now making a little under 100K, OT included, after 3 years of graduating.

Wow, that’s crazy good.
Nov 15, 2016
254 posts
130 upvotes
Sepharite wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 1:09 pm

I'm studying AWS as well, the best online courses that I have found and many others on the internet vouch for is aCloudGuru online courses. They are expensive on the site, however, you can buy them for cheap on Udemy and transfer the course over to Udemy transfer to aCloud Guru.

It's a good starting point and provides a lot of information, updated to the new 2019 exams as well. Mind you this provides a nice indepth overview, but additional studying on AWS whitepaper, tech docs is required. What type of cert are you going for? I'm doing the Solution Architect cert. I'm in the mid 70s right now, hoping to break 100k in under 2 years
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5406 posts
5484 upvotes
Toronto
Toad99 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:01 pm
I'm studying AWS as well, the best online courses that I have found and many others on the internet vouch for is aCloudGuru online courses. They are expensive on the site, however, you can buy them for cheap on Udemy and transfer the course over to Udemy transfer to aCloud Guru.
Absolutely agree, the aCloudGuru studio is good for education on cloud, containers, kubernetes, etc. It's what I used to help prepare for early certifications. The brothers are good presenters and (IMHO) the level of content is a great balance between "not dumbed down" and "we don't presume you know any of the specifics yet, but we know you're not a moron either."
A glass of wine with you, sir, and the ladies I'll enjoy.
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
Toad99 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 2:01 pm

It's a good starting point and provides a lot of information, updated to the new 2019 exams as well. Mind you this provides a nice indepth overview, but additional studying on AWS whitepaper, tech docs is required. What type of cert are you going for? I'm doing the Solution Architect cert. I'm in the mid 70s right now, hoping to break 100k in under 2 years
I would be very careful with investing your time in this sort of technical training. If you are not familiar already, it is incredibly easy to cheat on these official certifications/exams. Microsoft, and now Amazon, have had a history of people circumventing/cheating on their exams.

Having worked for both companies, I can assure you that if your intent is to leverage a cert or two to get in at these organizations, they will not even acknowledge the validity of it as they know how rampant the cheating is.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Nov 15, 2016
254 posts
130 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:09 pm
I would be very careful with investing your time in this sort of technical training. If you are not familiar already, it is incredibly easy to cheat on these official certifications/exams. Microsoft, and now Amazon, have had a history of people circumventing/cheating on their exams.

Having worked for both companies, I can assure you that if your intent is to leverage a cert or two to get in at these organizations, they will not even acknowledge the validity of it as they know how rampant the cheating is.
This is good to know, always appreciate your input on here AudiFanatic. I wasn't aware of the rampant cheating on these exams. My main goal in obtaining the cert was definitely to leverage it, however, not aiming towards FANG companies just yet. Mostly leveraging to get enterprise experience and develop into a consulting role on the side as well in my current position. Appreciate the insight
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5406 posts
5484 upvotes
Toronto
charlesd79 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:37 am
Can someone explain me why the numbers are so low for Canada ?
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/surv ... -geography
* Data from 24 months ago
* Self-selected survey responses from active StackExchange users (possibly skews to earlier professionals)
* Data from all of Canada and obscures hot and cool spots (e.g. Toronto vs. Halifax)
* Median values reported -- ie, half of people make more than the indicated number
* Includes complete range, including entry level and co-op
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5406 posts
5484 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 9:09 pm
Yet, a junior staffer in our org, took *FOUR ATTEMPTS* before passing their AWS assoc-arch cert test. I don't get it, it's not a hard test at all. I guess at least I know they weren't cheating! :D

I think these entry level certs help get you pass the resume guardians, of nothing else. Also used at an aggregate to help orgs achieve counts needed to be "Silver-level Business Partner" etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2446 posts
2408 upvotes
charlesd79 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2019 1:37 am
Can someone explain me why the numbers are so low for Canada ?
https://insights.stackoverflow.com/surv ... -geography
I will comment purely about the tech industry and pay since over 30 years of my life has been devoted to the tech business.

Even today, at top tech companies, FANG and the like, Canadian pay is around 20-25% less, for the same job, than those in the US. And - we get taxed more.

Why? There's a lack of competition here in Canada. Let's think about this for a second.

Let's pick on Google/FaceBook - both in California, among a plethora of other Silicon Valley companies.
Even if we leave California, let's' take a look at Washington State. Amazon/Microsoft (FB/GOOG to a lesser extent due to satellite offices) are in each other's backyard.

Having worked at several of the companies above, both in the US, Europe, and in Canada, my pay in Canada has been the worst out of all of these three locations. There's fewer tech jobs in Canada, and quite a lot of competition due to our "higher" skilled workforce. That leads to lower pay. Plus, if you could make more money, and pay less tax (a la Washington State), why would you stay in Canada? (for me, it's age related)

Just my theory, anyways.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

MrSuave7