Careers

Is Your Salary Ever Enough?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2014 9:47 am
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes

Is Your Salary Ever Enough?

Just wanted to get other people's opinion on this.

I'm 26 and making $75,000 a year. After paying my mortgage and other expenses I save about $1,500 a month.

My issue is that I'm always comparing myself to other ppl making more and thinking that I'm not where I need to be financially.

I know this is a very first world problem but for those who have been in similar situations in the past, is this really just a mind set ppl like myself and others have no matter how much one is making making.

Will I always just tend to compare to those making more and think I'm not where I need to be and not be satisfied?
226 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
255 upvotes
aspen300 wrote: Just wanted to get other people's opinion on this.

I'm 26 and making $75,000 a year. After paying my mortgage and other expenses I save about $1,500 a month.

My issue is that I'm always comparing myself to other ppl making more and thinking that I'm not where I need to be financially.

I know this is a very first world problem but for those who have been in similar situations in the past, is this really just a mind set ppl like myself and others have no matter how much one is making making.

Will I always just tend to compare to those making more and think I'm not where I need to be and not be satisfied?
Its your age bud and where you are in terms of financial security. Once you have a nice nest egg and are older, you start to realize that you have better things to do than kill yourself for an extra buck. I'm similar in age - there is always a need to aspire to those "ahead" of you. As you grow older, I think you develop some perspective and understanding that there are a whole lot of people "behind" you struggling. Honestly, if you want to gain some perspective, go volunteer somewhere for a short while.
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
That's about 20000$ more than the average salary in a city like Moncton according to Statscan. Maybe in Toronto or Vancouver people consider that 'average', but in most areas of Canada at 26 making that kind of salary puts you well above average.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
OP, it all depends if you have a skill set no one else has. If you really not that special, then you won't make as much as your peers. 75k is a good salary for a 26 year old.

Yup, the dude niro has it correct. There are many people who would kill to make 75k at 26 yr old. If you want perspective, go live and work at some poor country for a few years.
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
another bragging thread.

clearly youre not making enough. you've failed at life.
Jul 28, 2012
206 posts
42 upvotes
sirex wrote: another bragging thread.

clearly youre not making enough. you've failed at life.
My intention was definitely not to brag. I'm sorry if you feel that way.
Feb 11, 2012
962 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
Yes OP you failed in life. Your salary is horrible for that age and you'll never get anywhere with life since everyone will always outstrip your in every category.

Here, read that list and cry yourself to sleep:
http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/
Get educated on how the world needs to work with the Venus Project
Jan 25, 2007
925 posts
58 upvotes
aspen300... ignore that poster, seems angry at everything... even proper spelling. lol I have relatives just over your age making twice that... and they likely spend twice on top of that. Hey, social pressure can be tough... might seem silly to some, but trust me I've seen Married couples twice your age mention "keeping up the the neighbors". Be smart... save as much as you can... but damn, try to have fun as well!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
It's normal...
Accountant (Public Practice)
Jan 25, 2007
925 posts
58 upvotes
Remember OP, People attack each other on the net because like said one point of view is seen as superior over the other. The issue however is that forums allow many people to speak whom other wise wouldn't in a real setting. You get a lot of basement dwellers and cheap skates that come out of the wood work to express their opinions when they haven't experienced anything in there life. It's like listening to your 15 your old cousin tell you how the world works. You just tell then to shut up
Feb 11, 2012
962 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
dvdguy wrote: Remember OP, People attack each other on the net because like said one point of view is seen as superior over the other. The issue however is that forums allow many people to speak whom other wise wouldn't in a real setting. You get a lot of basement dwellers and cheap skates that come out of the wood work to express their opinions when they haven't experienced anything in there life. It's like listening to your 15 your old cousin tell you how the world works. You just tell then to shut up
Shut up.
Get educated on how the world needs to work with the Venus Project
Dec 4, 2008
390 posts
6 upvotes
Welcome to Toronto where the cost of living is incredibly high
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
The solution is simple.

Work hard, work smart
pay your bills on time
save your money
don't spend recklessly
buy something nice and treat yourself from time to time. E.g. annual vacations, steak dinner, 18 year old scotch.
Don't compare yourself to others. We all have our own goals.
treat others kindly. If they do you wrong... Bite your lip. But always defend the ones you love.
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
The OP hasn't even mention what industry he works in. Not sure if it's high or low.
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
dvdguy wrote: Remember OP, People attack each other on the net because like said one point of view is seen as superior over the other. The issue however is that forums allow many people to speak whom other wise wouldn't in a real setting. You get a lot of basement dwellers and cheap skates that come out of the wood work to express their opinions when they haven't experienced anything in there life. It's like listening to your 15 your old cousin tell you how the world works. You just tell then to shut up
nice quote.

and you applied it perfectly to the OP. Where he asks a dumb-loaded question to wave his epeen.

only on the internet does someone create a post about making $75,000 and complaining how he doesn't have enough money at the end of the month... Does OP have said conversation with his friends? probably not.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
aspen300 wrote: Just wanted to get other people's opinion on this.

Damn you make $75k and are able to save $1500 per month? Good on you
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
If you didn't want to come off as bragging, you simply didn't have to post your salary. Pretty easy and would've accomplished exactly what your asking people to comment on.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2013
2445 posts
573 upvotes
aspen300 wrote: Will I always just tend to compare to those making more and think I'm not where I need to be and not be satisfied?
Yes.

If you feed it, it will grow stronger.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)