• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2006 9:14 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Aug 12, 2005
267 posts
Here's a site which exposes Kiyosaki to be a fraud, http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

I read a book of his and felt that I was wasting my time, he was constantly rambling about nothing in particular, his points aren't clear and concise in my opinion. The theme of his book seemed to be, "You don't need an education, get out of the stable Government type job and run your own business, its the only way to succeed." Sure, running a business has its perks everybody knows that its easier said than done, Kiyosaki wasn't as rich as he lead everybody to believe until he wrote these books.

I've read a few personal productivity books and I think you can save yourself a lot of time by catching the simple theme of each book. For example Wealthy Barber is about power of compounding interest and starting early. Millionaire Next Door is about living below your means etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
nogoro wrote:nobody talked about "The Wealthy Barber" by D. Chilton. Is it outdated? I liked it when I read it a few years back.
I don't think it's outdated, but it's not really a business book.. it's more of a personal financial planning book.. saving for retirement, life insurance, wills, etc.
javguy wrote: I've read a few personal productivity books and I think you can save yourself a lot of time by catching the simple theme of each book. For example Wealthy Barber is about power of compounding interest and starting early. Millionaire Next Door is about living below your means etc.
There is actually one chapter in Wealthy Barber about frugal living..
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2002
3647 posts
116 upvotes
Edmonton
javguy wrote:Here's a site which exposes Kiyosaki to be a fraud, http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

I read a book of his and felt that I was wasting my time, he was constantly rambling about nothing in particular, his points aren't clear and concise in my opinion. The theme of his book seemed to be, "You don't need an education, get out of the stable Government type job and run your own business, its the only way to succeed." Sure, running a business has its perks everybody knows that its easier said than done, Kiyosaki wasn't as rich as he lead everybody to believe until he wrote these books.

I've read a few personal productivity books and I think you can save yourself a lot of time by catching the simple theme of each book. For example Wealthy Barber is about power of compounding interest and starting early. Millionaire Next Door is about living below your means etc.
Interesting site.

I only threw up my initial warning cause i know a lot of people who got brain washed by that RDPD book (some of which made some dumb mistakes). When I read it, I was horrified. I guess everyone is responsible for their own actions, but that book can be pretty influential. It plays upon the dreams and fanatasies of the average person (anyone can be rich, you can do it quickly, you don't need to be smart, etc...) At the same time, it offers very risky, unethical and flat out wrong advice.

Anyways, some recommendations:

Celestian Prophecy - Not a business book per say, but pretty interesting read about how people interact with one another. It helped me a lot when it came to selling, negotiating, and generally trying to understand people.

Dancing with Bears - book about risk management. i read it a long time ago, and it had some good advice. it is more about project management, but you can definately apply it towards a business
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
I'm not a big fan of 12 Rules or whatever number for success types of books. Most of them are all marketing eye-grabbing titles which contain either no substance or just rehashing of old ideas.

My favorite books are the business profile and history type, one I really recommend is The Perfect Store which is the story of eBay.
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
phd1969 wrote:I'm not a big fan of 12 Rules or whatever number for success types of books. Most of them are all marketing eye-grabbing titles which contain either no substance or just rehashing of old ideas.

My favorite books are the business profile and history type, one I really recommend is The Perfect Store which is the story of eBay.
I've read that book too. Great insight on how [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] got started. If you like the perfect store, check out Good to Great. Not really a "rules" type book you mentioned, but it does outline five criterias and backs it up with real case studies.
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
24 upvotes
Yeah I have that book aswell but haven't started reading it. I'm currently reading iCon which is the story of Steve Jobs ...
[OP]
May 18, 2006
10 posts
Toronto, Canada
I've recently read "9 Lies That Are Holding Your Business Back" by Sam Beckford and Steve Chandler. This book gives you both inspiration and practical advice.

P.S. Sam Beckford is a Canadian.

Best regards,
Thuva
Attention Canadian service professionals. Create and manage a professional website with as many pages as you want for $247. Visit Webability Solutions