• May 1st, 2006 11:40 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1358 posts
9 upvotes

Your way to / How to steam Oysters.

Hey...

So.. for about 3 or 4 years I always enjoyed eating Oysters with Black bean sauce. The only place I know of that makes them great (to my opinion anyway) is at Birchmount and Sheppard.

Now, Question, does anybody here actually steam their own oysters? and if so, how long do you guys steam them for because I've went to a lot of websites and most of their information is useless as one site says 20 minutes and the other says 5 minutes. Now how do you know when they are cooked? ..... So.. Anybody?

Sorry, just had a craving and wanted to make it at home :P

Thanks
Go Polska!
8 replies
Mar 19, 2006
58 posts
oysters should be steamed for about 5 min but that also depends on the size of the oyster...oysters you buy at supermarkets are smaller than ones you get from most restaurants so 5 min should be good.... put them in only when water is boiling! think it's always better to cook them longer if you're not sure if they're done since you shouldn't be eating the larger oysters (ones that you steam) raw
btw what is at sheppard and birchmount?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1358 posts
9 upvotes
OH ok... Well I gotta try it myself.

As far as whats out in that area.. Hong Kong Bay Seafood Restaurant... Its one of the better seafood places around.. its at 2598 birchmount...

hehe
Go Polska!
Mar 19, 2006
58 posts
sorry.. should probably make that 10 min
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2005
3955 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Try this:

Shuck the oysters and put the shells in the sink. Put the oyster meat in a bowl with what juice you can save. Get a pot of water boiling and put the shells in there for 1 min. Drain the pot and scrub the shells to remove any meat that was left in them. Pick the best one's that will lay like a spoon on a plate. Example: if you buy a dozen you get 24 1/2 shells pick the best 12.

Bring another pot of water to a boil and drop in enough spinich for 2-3 leaves in each oyster 1/2 shell. With the water at a boil drop in the spinich leaves place a lid on the pot and turn off the heat and let it sit on the burner for 4 mins. Then drain the pot and place the leaves in the oyster shells.

Repeat the above with the oyster meat and place them equally on the 1/2 shells on top of the spinich.

Put a drop or two of tobasco on each shell, then put a small portion of minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of parmesan cheese on each shell.

Set the filled shells on a pizza or baking pan and place in a 400 oven for 2-3 minutes or untill the cheese melts.

Serve hot with crusty buttered bread.

dave
Jan 29, 2006
51 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
:arrowu:
yummm, that sounds really good! a must-try recipe. =)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
1358 posts
9 upvotes
Cool thanks for the recipe.. Will do! :)
Go Polska!
Sep 23, 2005
98 posts
1 upvote

Main ingredients:
- 12 live oysters
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 tsp of fermented black beans
- ginger, 1 inch in length
- 1 stalk of green onion

Use a small bowl, add 3 to 4 tsp of fermented black beans. Slightly rinse the fermented black beans with water, then drain. Use a tea spoon to smash the bean into a paste form. Grate some ginger, about 1 inch in length. Peel and mince (or press) 5-6 cloves of garlic. Add to the bowl.

Place the plates in a steamer. Steam for about 15 minutes (counting from when the water starts boiling).

Remove plates from steamer when done. Each half shell may have collected excess liquid from the steam. Tilt each shell to slightly drain the excess liquid.

As a finishing touch: use a small pot and heat up about 4 tblsp of cooking oil until fuming hot (usually takes about 4-5 minutes). Sprinkle the chopped green onions on top of each oyster first. Then quickly dash in a few drops of the fuming hot oil on top of each oyster. Finally dash in a few drops of light soy sauce on top.
Jun 20, 2004
891 posts
16 upvotes
Ralfzim wrote:Image

Main ingredients:
- 12 live oysters
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 4-5 tsp of fermented black beans
- ginger, 1 inch in length
- 1 stalk of green onion

Use a small bowl, add 3 to 4 tsp of fermented black beans. Slightly rinse the fermented black beans with water, then drain. Use a tea spoon to smash the bean into a paste form. Grate some ginger, about 1 inch in length. Peel and mince (or press) 5-6 cloves of garlic. Add to the bowl.

Place the plates in a steamer. Steam for about 15 minutes (counting from when the water starts boiling).

Remove plates from steamer when done. Each half shell may have collected excess liquid from the steam. Tilt each shell to slightly drain the excess liquid.

As a finishing touch: use a small pot and heat up about 4 tblsp of cooking oil until fuming hot (usually takes about 4-5 minutes). Sprinkle the chopped green onions on top of each oyster first. Then quickly dash in a few drops of the fuming hot oil on top of each oyster. Finally dash in a few drops of light soy sauce on top.

pretty much the way i do it too. amount may vary but basic method's the same.
× < >