• Jan 22nd, 2018 9:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
14374 posts
10114 upvotes
Toronto

YouTube disappearing from some Amazon devices Jan 1

Last edited by sprung on Dec 5th, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NIMBY = "My neighbour has just pulled out in his Tesla. I can't imagine he is very happy at the thought that somebody might, out of, let's say jealousy, or whatever, feel obliged to graffiti his car,"
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1196 posts
806 upvotes
Just what we need. Next you'll have to buy a CBS-branded TV to watch CBS shows, shows that Bell has the rights to in Canada won't play on Rogers Cable etc.
Jan 10, 2017
544 posts
206 upvotes
GTA
Just cause Amazon won't release their services to Google and sell Google products in their store.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB (100% discount including overages 12 months) + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month ($1/Month including promotion rate) voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7727 posts
316 upvotes
Brampton
This is terrible. I’ve been using the fire tv for quite a while but with this I will have to again look for alternatives. Too bad as only recently it became official for Canada.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22002 posts
2601 upvotes
Google is pretty well known for this. Hence why there's no YouTube app on Windows Mobile (Windows Phone) and the official one MS did make at one point, Google made it so it couldn't work so there is none now :rolleyes: You can of course get 3rd party apps that will work, which I'm sure will happen with these Amazon devices as well? Apart from that on WP you can just use mobile browser to view the site/watch vids that way, without an app. It looks like the same thing is certainly possible with Echo Show and FireTV. I don't really understand why Google engages in this crap but it's what they do; of course in this case Amazon is somewhat to blame as well as they refuse to carry Google products by the sounds of it.

I'm not sure why there's so much competition in these silly "talk-to" devices anyway. I don't understand why people even buy them? For $40-100 they seem like a gimmicky novelty that will be fun to use for two days and then just sit there collecting dust. But that's just my $0.02 on those things.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1196 posts
806 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:01 pm
I'm not sure why there's so much competition in these silly "talk-to" devices anyway. I don't understand why people even buy them? For $40-100 they seem like a gimmicky novelty that will be fun to use for two days and then just sit there collecting dust. But that's just my $0.02 on those things.
"Hey Google, what are you good for?"

Ans: "I can do lots of things. I can play Madlibs, tell a joke, or spin the wheel." :rolleyes:

Seriously, the main use I've found is to get my day started before I crawl out of bed in the morning. It starts the coffee, turns the lights up slowly, briefs me on my day, and streams the morning news.

I also like the integration with music services. It's nice to be able to casually ask for any song, album, artist or type of music verbally.
Aug 15, 2015
708 posts
86 upvotes
Markham, ON
What's good about Amazon fire TV? Never heard of it.

I don't want to watch tv or videos all the time anyways.
Dec 26, 2010
837 posts
257 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:01 pm
Google is pretty well known for this. Hence why there's no YouTube app on Windows Mobile (Windows Phone) and the official one MS did make at one point, Google made it so it couldn't work so there is none now :rolleyes: You can of course get 3rd party apps that will work, which I'm sure will happen with these Amazon devices as well? Apart from that on WP you can just use mobile browser to view the site/watch vids that way, without an app.
That was partly MS' fault though. With every version of the app they kept violating youtubes content agreements(and MS knew it). First removing ads, then allowing downloads, final straw was allowing music in background.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22002 posts
2601 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:28 pm
Seriously, the main use I've found is to get my day started before I crawl out of bed in the morning. It starts the coffee, turns the lights up slowly, briefs me on my day, and streams the morning news.
First of all these things are not possible with just the device. Secondly most coffee machines since the 80s can do that on their own. Lights, most people can turn those on themselves, not sure what "briefing" you may need on your day but mine consists of showering and going to work, lol. News is all bullcrap anyway, it pains me to read or watch any of it so could easily do without it, as many others would too--but even if you though of "the news" as something "important" then most TVs can also turn themselves on...since like 20 years ago at least as well.
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:28 pm
I also like the integration with music services. It's nice to be able to casually ask for any song, album, artist or type of music verbally.
Couldn't you do that with smartphones like 10 years ago as well? Pretty sure I remember ppl doing that with their iPhones back in the day. Again "nice" in this case seems to = "novelty" which wears off rather quickly--no one does that anymore either. Remember when Siri launched how people were doing all kind of wild and crazy things with it for amusement? Yeahhhh...nobody cares about that nonsense anymore.

But again this is just my take on things that are absolutely unnecessary and really aren't that impressive or helpful. IMO they're basically just making stuff for people to spend money on; and, with all the different versions out there who knows when what company will discontinue theirs along with support and any acknowledgement they ever existed :lol: Google is certainly a company that has done this countless times, what with a new Android coming out every 6 months and "old" devices being obsolete in as little as a year. It's hilarious these days people will actually say stuff like, "That phone? That's so old, it doesn't even have [insert version of Android] on it!" Meanwhile the thing is like a couple years old :rolleyes: Anyone remember Google TV? LOL. Let's just forget about that, pretend we never made it and now let's rehash it and call it Android TV! How many years you think that's going to last under the "I-forgot-my-own-birthday" ultra-fickle Google? Even if it does continue as "Android TV" you can be sure that soon enough you'll need a new one because new versions of Android aren't compatible :rolleyes:

People get upset that Intel releases a new chipset/socket/board every couple years but hey I can still actually use LGA775 and LGA1156 systems just fine and use them with the latest versions of most OSes. If Google were running the show? Every next version of Windows wouldn't work, period, on anything older than perhaps one generation earlier than current. Imagine needing a Kaby Lake or newer machine just to keep using a computer! But believe me that's the way Google would make it if it were under their control. But anyway I already know what Google, Crapple, Amazon, etc. are all about when it comes to hardware. Other people are free to go ahead and put their faith in these internet devices that will basically be deprecated every couple years, and you'll have to keep buying new ones...just because. Good luck with that and all but me? No thanks. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7703 posts
433 upvotes
Scarborough
Install Firefox and it goes directly to YouTube. It looks exactly like the native app.
Feb 14, 2009
607 posts
124 upvotes
ES_Revenge, good post. I agree with every single line -- from LGA775 to news==BS...

But big picture, i my opinion -- this fast succession of new and "new-instant-old" things--
is actually manifestation of general faster speed of progress.
All there "new", "nice to have", "must have", "you can not live without" things --
one of ten to be survive -- is usual trials-and-error progress, just cycles running faster...

Example: new "smart" phone 10-15 years ago -- we already have GPS,
we already have radio and CDs, we have compass, credit cards, calculator, photo-camera,
pagers... we already can call and talk -- why we need new device?

Note that a bit later smart phone not only combined all above-listed devices
but also took integral part of
social network (to be discussed separately). Instant messaging,
instant photos and video, instant everything...
Nobody knew back then (except Steve?)...

So, for stability, I support healthy skepticism towards all
new things (electronic, political, social, etc...),
but also I am glad to see new stuff in more-or-less fair competitive environment.

A.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7351 posts
1031 upvotes
Winnipeg
Heres what my youtube experience has always been like on the tv.

Mention to everyone what I want to show them. Get to app, load app, type/search with just my thumb what I want......then my buddy or wife or kid sitting next to me shouts " got it" spoils everything as they already watched it on there phone and just hands you there phone since they were sitting next to you.

When I heard i lost it I remembered I didn't use it. I'd love to say its great to share something cool you found on youtube but everyone has a phone.Just mentioning a topic or title already gives people an excuse to pull out their phone and watch it before I could load it on the tv for everyone to view.

Handhelds are a dam party pooper, a show spoiler for any youtube app for the tv.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1196 posts
806 upvotes
lead wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 10:44 pm
I'd love to say its great to share something cool you found on youtube but everyone has a phone.Just mentioning a topic or title already gives people an excuse to pull out their phone and watch it before I could load it on the tv for everyone to view.
If you were watching TV via a Chromecast or a Roku or an Android TV box like the Shield/Mio Box, whoever found it first could easily cast it to the TV for everyone to watch. Sadly other Android-based boxes are limited to Miracast, a technology that never worked well enough to be practical.