Investing

Is the YP/Yellow Pages Group Going Down Because of Shady Buys Such As RFD and Comfree?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2017 1:44 pm
[OP]
Apr 29, 2017
6 posts

Is the YP/Yellow Pages Group Going Down Because of Shady Buys Such As RFD and Comfree?

This is just my personal opinion and might not be true. Here's my opinion:

I used to look forward the the Yellow Pages every year as a kid.

Now that the the Yellow Pages telephone book looks to be dying due to the internet are you still buying Yellow Pages stock?

Sure they bought Comfree but I see a fee Comfree signs but the people I know might think it's pretty shady and doesn't work because they don't get you any real traffic.

And they bought out Red Flag Deals years ago I think because it had a lot of hits and some people thought it was helpful 5-10 years ago when forums where popular.

But now with Facebook and Twitter forums are not very popular and Red Flag Deals forums looks to be filled with troll/sock accounts in my opinion who create threads and then use these sock accounts to reply to each other over and over and over to create a fake facade that their forums are busy when they are not. In my opinion that's not a good thing. In my opinion those who advertise here might also want to question what's going on.

The Red Flag Deals thing looks pretty shady as I think they have only some people making up so many posts. That's shady in my opinion, but I'm not sure of it.

So anyone else ditching Yellow Pages/YP stock as they look to be reaching into the shadiest corners of the internet because no one will pay for their antiquated Yellow Pages book any more.

This is all just my opinion and not proved, but I would like to know what others think.

I would also like those who advertise on Red Flag Deals to chime in for an honest and fair discussion on what is going on here.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
Coming down the back stretch it's Opinion, followed closely by Shady, with Red Flag Deals right on their heels! Down to the wire Yellow Pages is coming up on the outside. It's Yellow Pages, Yellow Pages is gaining, gaining. At the wire It's Yellow Pages by a word.

And this is how I saw it today folks, it may not be be true but never let the truth stop you from being you.

Stay tuned, we've got lots more coming up here on Really Farcical Debates, right back after a word from our sponsors.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
Rule #1 of RFD: Do not bad mouth RFD on RFD

I'm waiting for the lock!
Dec 2, 2014
436 posts
156 upvotes
London, ON
Not sure what's shady about them. Yellowpages used their cash reserves to buy niche websites as a way of generating reoccurring revenue. Is Ebay shady for Kijiji? Yellow Pages is just a shitty company that will spin it's tires until it eventually goes out of business or someone buys them.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
1000 posts
250 upvotes
Toronto
And We're back. Thank you TrevorK for those words of wisdom. Cyberbulling is an important topic, and we must all take action if we are going to stamp it out.

Op, you need to have more confidence in yourself. Your opinions matter. I suggest a daily affirmation. Tell yourself every morning, "I'm smart enough and good enough and gosh darn it my opinions matter" You can do it! Find the strength to post your opinions where it can do some good, not some website that was popular 5-10 years ago. Your opinions should be on the most up to date social media platforms currently available to mankind.

Now get out there and show the world who you are!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4519 posts
1151 upvotes
Toronto
What? Are you saying RFD is shady? BAN! Everything here is legit, even the non legit stuffs.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
4940 posts
1580 upvotes
hehe, good ol days. I used to work for Canpages, another outfit squeezed out by Google. YP has good ideas, poor management. Just like RE is local, they can beat google, company needs vision and solid plan.
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and you've got the stock market beat.
But the man worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat 😃
"In Fed We Trust"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9605 posts
799 upvotes
Muskoka
Lost all confidence in Yellow when they intentionally screwed their common shareholders a few years ago and morphed from YLO into Y. I would never invest again, and tell everyone I can to never pay them a cent for their crappy website builds and SEO work. They are irrelevant in todays world, and know it, but are trying desperately to rework themselves into a different business model.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3924 posts
1824 upvotes
YLO reminds me of HCG. As a shareholder lost most of my invested capital in both. No fond memories.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2008
1442 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
The Yellow Pages Recapitalization back in 2012 was one of the most underhanded moves I've ever seen in the investment world. All former securities including the common, preferred shares, bonds were converted to new securities and wiped out billions in shareholder value. It still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when thinking about it. The irony was that management intended it to enhance long-term value for stakeholders. I suppose "stakeholders" don't include shareholders.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
4996 posts
2115 upvotes
Always threw their phone book in the garbage and watched investors but their high yield stock when earnings decreased every quarter. Some investors were obsessed with their preferred shares and said they are the last ones to be touched.

When investing use some common sense and ask if company will exist in this world 5 years from now. Another example of this would be torstar right now.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1044 posts
1046 upvotes
Unionville, ON
This stock has been up 16% today...
Any speculation?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4826 posts
1938 upvotes
Yellow Pages had to make a move as telephone books became obsolete. The move to acquire RFD and to utilize it as a platform to market local businesses was actually a good move.

They should have eliminated the common share dividends long ago as they attempted the move from print to digital.

Perhaps it wasn't a smart move to pay common shareholders $350 Million a year while they attempted the transition.

Of course, spending nearly $4.5 Billion to purchase almost every telephone book company in the country in the 2000s when they probably should have known the business was declining did not help either.
Feb 16, 2014
134 posts
69 upvotes
Bullseye wrote: Lost all confidence in Yellow when they intentionally screwed their common shareholders a few years ago and morphed from YLO into Y. I would never invest again, and tell everyone I can to never pay them a cent for their crappy website builds and SEO work. They are irrelevant in todays world, and know it, but are trying desperately to rework themselves into a different business model.
^^ IMO they're a little too late to reinvent themselves.
Will probably go the way of Nortel. ... desparately investing into new businesses, putting on a new facade and clinging to HOPE by their corporate fingernails while the new business world accelerates past them.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1044 posts
1046 upvotes
Unionville, ON
There are up another 5% today...